Judge Dredd - Is actually out yet?

Picked up my JD and Fantasy Craft today, decided not to opt for Western City, just didn't take my fancy, plus it frees up0 £10 for the Trav Ref screen I want :lol:

LBH

AndrewW said:
lastbesthope said:
Rex said:
You can actually Run functional Games at certain parts of the Character generation. Hot Dog Run, and Full Eagle Day, are pretty good opportunities for newer players to get their feet wet.

~Rex

Are those in the new JD Trav book or are you using the old D20 supplements?

LBH

Those are both in the Traveller version.

Pages 35 and 37 respectively, nice places to insert mini games during character creation. Now all I need is plot hooks, mayhap I'll tweak 760 patrons to that end. Prison planet could also be interesting.

LBH

I saw the JD main book at the FLGS at Friday. Unfortunately my current economical situation (as well as gaming situation) didn't allow me to purchase it. It is a darn good looking book and I was very tempted to pick it up despite everything (it is, after all a Judge Dredd RPG).

Anyway, I intend to pick it up later on...

Mine rrives on Saturday and the cover and interior artwork is stunning. From my initial read through I'd say that the Traveller Rules set fits the setting extremely well - far better than D20 and all it's levels and feats nonsense. One thing - expect to play through several Judges during a campaign as the weapons are lethal. My only criticism is the lack of a proper experince system for character advancement. Looking forward to the first adventure due out this week.

Lack of experience system is a minus but on the other hand if each skill rank expresses years of experience and training it is sort of understandable. But still there should be a way to get this just out of academy Judge to more experienced one during a campaign (should he survive).

As I don't have the book (yet) I have to ask. Are these rules for character advancement (during a campaign) or for creating more advanced Judges as starting characters?

SnowDog said:
As I don't have the book (yet) I have to ask. Are these rules for character advancement (during a campaign) or for creating more advanced Judges as starting characters?

For more seasoned starting judges but works just as well during regular play.

Time based, 1 point per game year, I've adapted an experience system based on arrests, that looks like it will work for my group, who are all pretty much into xp reward systems.

Thanks!

Yes, I can easily see that XP based improvement is much more satisfying than time based. 1 point per year is pretty ... tough. Let's see how it works but the arrest approach seems like an interesting idea.

That one point per Year though, can mean a lot in a system like the Traveller Engine where Less is More, where a 0 means you're competent.

I still lean towards Time and Training myself. Occasionally, I'll toss out a few expansion points for RP goodies, but that's the key. It's not a "score" thing. XP shouldn't be the satisfying thing, the RP experience, and having a great time at the game is the reward.

~Rex

I got the rulebook and Bad Moon Rising today and both are things of beauty.

I'm still not going to be running the Traveller system, though my house-ruled to death and expanded with all the D20 abilities version of the GW system is what I'm sticking with- but there is plenty there that I like, and some amalgamation of the Academy rules and some of the new abilities and psi stuff will make it into my games, and I will, of course, buy everything that is released for this and for Strontium Dog.

Have yet to spot the JIMP.

I just bought the book. Nice work Mongoose very well done, no typos that I can see just a great production!

I salute you! Thanks for a job well done. :D

JudgeThrash said:
I just bought the book. Nice work Mongoose very well done, no typos that I can see just a great production!

I salute you! Thanks for a job well done. :D

Oh there are a few typos. Go to the end of the Character generation section, and Spot the Jimp, then spot the Typo. They're on the same page. :D

Over all though, well within acceptable parameters. :D

~Rex

Eww icky bad PDF icky......*Hides in his bunker with all his books, with the rest of the Luddites*

~Rex

Back