Judge Dredd 2nd Edition

I'm not so sure about the OGL, given I already own a PHB - So obviously I prefer not to get the same 20 or so pages time after time, and would prefer additional material. However I don't care too much (though it could be an issue whether Wizards decided not to continue to allow OGL if no one was doing d20).

I'd like to see conversion or rules for using Gangs of MC-1 along side Judge Dredd, and maybe some rules modernising the system.

The game needs more feats, and definately much more gear.

hassanisabbah said:
(though it could be an issue whether Wizards decided not to continue to allow OGL if no one was doing d20

From my understanding of the OGL, the SRD as it stands cannot be withdrawn as open game content, therefore there is nothing Wizards could do to prevent the continued use of the SRD for OGL games as long as they are done within the terms of that license.

Without checking the paperwork, the only thing I think they would be able to do is pull the d20 Logo License.

Presumably its is owned by them though, so they could choose to withdraw their intellectual property or at least choose not to renew the licence.

Still I don't really care if it says WotC, d20, OGL or Mothers Pride on the front, as long as the quality is on the inside it counts. Its one of the mysterys of the world of RPGs why gamers are so rightous about such matters. Don't get me wrong I do understand what your saying, and I am pretty much opposed to brand marketing, just try aiming at a significant target (such as Sweatshop labour, Free Trade zones, Global Marketing Initiatives etc).

My 1st exposure to Dredd was from an Anthrax song called I am the Law.
My 2nd was to a Stallone movie.

Then one day I had some money to blow and my gaming store had nothing new... except this d20 Dredd Rulebook. So in remembrance to moshing to Anthrax, i said what the hell...

I thumbed through it later, but only stopped to read once I got to the History of Megacity One...

8 Rookies guides, 5 adventures, and 10 Dredd graphic novels later, i find myself playing Texas Hold'em and saying, "Drokk the ak-bar snak-bar routine... i didn't just sail through space on a sythi-biscuit", and calling my friend's bluff.

I even got the Most Wanted... and i'm not pissed the cover art led me to believe Judge Death was inside...

My point being, i wasn't famaliar with Dredd, and those few pages in the rulebook made me want to be.

Now I'm hooked and absolutley love this game. I wouldn't change a thing.

Only suggestions i have is maybe a Guide to Tex City... maybe a guide to Post-Nuked Zombie Infested Megacity 2 or The Cursed Earth.

And not everyone wants to play Judges. Some perp adventures would be nice... I'm beginning to think Mongoose is taking an ethical stance against crime :wink:

hassanisabbah said:
Still I don't really care if it says WotC, d20, OGL or Mothers Pride on the front, as long as the quality is on the inside it counts. Its one of the mysterys of the world of RPGs why gamers are so rightous about such matters.

*still laughing at a Mothers Pride RPG*

Okay, here's what it means to me.

d20 = Needs D&D rulebook to play (you are prohibited from putting in character generation or experience rules), has to meet various levels of "taste" required by WotC.
OGL = Standalone book, no D&D rulebook needed, free to include whatever content you like.

The shining example of an OGL book so far for me is the Lone Wolf RPG. It's close enough to D&D to be instantly understandable, and it makes enough changes from the norm to give it a feel that fits with the setting. Give Dredd that treatment and I'll be a very happy bunny.

I don't see a need to rewrite major sections of the existing book - just add in character generation/experience rules, merge in the "missing" skills, feats, and combat rules (using OGL2, as Mongoose have been through all the trouble of developing it), and reprint it as it is. At a guess you're looking at around 360-400 pages (as opposed to 256) when that's done. I can't wait to see the OGL2 rules in Starship Troopers for an idea of what a possible Dredd v2 would look like.

Nexus said:
My point being, I wasn't familiar with Dredd, and those few pages in the rulebook made me want to be.

Actually, the timeline isn't as accurate to the strip as it could be...!

Glad you enjoyed it, though, we did try to make the background material as good a read as we could.

Oh and conversion rules so we can use GoMC1 alongside it. Come on, every other RPG company with a minitures related game does it....

How about some kind of Lunar Body on a Wooden Pole as well....

hassanisabbah said:
Oh and conversion rules so we can use GoMC1 alongside it. Come on, every other RPG company with a minitures related game does it....

I'm kinda hoping they get into the GoMC1 rulebook, same as happened in the back of the ACtA rulebook... so if anyone's seen GoMC1 and can tell me one way or the other it'll be much appreciated! :)

I've been a big fan of Judge Dread for many years now, even if living on this side of the pond makes it a nightmare to actually track down the books...

Anyway, the only reason I haven't yet purchased the RPG is because it requires the PH to play. Now since I already own the PH, it shouldn't be an issue right? But somehow, I can't quite bring myself to get into a cyber-punk/dystopian/post apocalypse mind set when I flip through a book filled with elves and bards and palladins to create the characters.

For my money, a second edition of JD should most certainly be OGL and preferably not render the old supplemental material obsolete, as that would be a crying shame.

ReptileJK said:
How 'bout a source book on the Klegs!!!!

I think what you need is rookie guides for......

.....cursed earth

......the day the law died

......apocalypse war

etc......can cover the characters, weapons, events....etc....
:D

It looks pretty likely that Dredd is going to go the way of Slaine The Horned God with the focus at Mongoose shifting towards the more popular lines (SST, B5, CTA etc..).

Which is a shame, because despite a poorish system (pre-d20 Modern et al - so pretty good in its own right), the setting and source material is second to none so far.

though I still question the logic of the Brit Cit guide before a Cursed Earth one!

I agree with you; many of the older lines are being dropped to make room for the new kids on the block. A shame, really...

A lot of the problem, IMHO, is that both Dredd and Slaine suffered from bad marketing and planning, in that books released were not the right ones (such as say Drunes, Formori and other villans rather than maybe the tribe books).

Still live and learn.... :lol:

It is a pity - I am only interested in Dredd and will be letting my sub to S&P go when it runs out - I can pick up the occasional copy at the gaming store anyway. I like GoMC1 too so will probably pick up whatever comes out for that, but if the Dredd RPG slips away like it did with GW I will probably not be a Mongoose customer any more, which is a shame.

The game could have been marketed better in 2000AD and the Megazine - hardly a mention in either of those magazines, which is surprising since that's what Dredd fans tend to read! GoMC1 has a couple of back page ads in the comics, but surely some kind of feature in one of them would have worked?

However the fact the Mr. Sprague seems to have started this post tow ask what people want in another edition should give you some hope for another core book, even if it;s done as a no supplement kind of product It does sound like they haven't completely given up on Joe Dredd yet!

You know, I always thought that as far as the marketing of Dread goes, the publishers of 2000AD haven't done nearly enough.

Granted, marketing takes money. But there are a lot of ways to increase the visibility of ones product, particularly in such a cult market as sci fi/ fantasy, that won't cost outrageous prices.

Now, I don't know how visible Dread is in Europe, but in North America, he's virtually unknown. Even here in Canada, a market that tends to be slightly more aware of European goods and pop culture than our neighbors to the south, even here only a handful of people interested in sci fi and fantasy have ever heard of Judge Dread. and most of those got their first experience with it from that Stallone flick. Which, let's face it, didn't do the franchise any favors.

No, I think that if it's at all possible, representatives from 2000AD should attend a number of sci fi/fantasy conventions, make a concerted effort to make the North American public familiar with their publications, maybe even approach an animation house, like Todd McFarlane Entertainment and HBO Animation and create a 13 episode, direct to DVD Judge Dread series.

Now obviously, all these things require funds, so they couldn't be done all at once. But I think a real effort to increase the visibility of the franchise is a must.

As for the RPG, well, I sincerely hope we haven't seen the last of it. But as was mentionned earlier in the thread, if Mr Sprange started it, it looks promising that we'll be getting a new fix of lawman smack down sooner or later.

I would still love to see an RPG adaptation of the Dredd vs. Death video game. All the maps and foes are there already with a cool plot and story. It would make a great epic adventure. I've looked for a hint book to plunder for maps and ideas for a game, but I can't find one.

Even more adventures to continue in the line already established would be good with me. But, the effort seemed to be in sourcebooks at a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1. It's just too much information to process. The sourcebooks were fun to read, but I didn't use them to run the game.

I'll probably quit Mongoose if/when JD2 debuts unless it is a very strong game in its own right with great adventure support. There's just no use to me for a game that's been ground up in the OGL blender to be followed by sourcebook after sourcebook after sourcebook. I would prefer a Savage Worlds-type development with campaign books that include some fun new options and present a plot-based adventure series.

Huh...I just joined these boards to get a feel for what a Judge Dredd rpg would be like. I've always loved the Judge Dredd world and I've been a "gamer" for over 25 years. The biggest hinderance for me is the fact Judge Dredd IS d20...OGL...or whatever is promised to make a bad system good IMO. Which for the most part prevents me from buying most Mongoose products, no matter how cool the concept. I know I'm probably in the minority here but it is just my opinion. I will concede that if there is any setting that would be d20 compatible it might be Judge Dredd. But, I would be more inclined to buy a Judge Dredd product that wasn't levelling up and classes. Is Mongoose brave enough to abandon d20 and start fresh?

SOme very interesting views in here. I would love to see JD step up and take a bloody good swing. Its a good story, its a good game, and its a good RPG. THe background is stunning and so diverse its amazing.

For GoMC1 there are thousands of blocks to choose from in each sector, all named after famous people etc...which in itself is endless. You could spend the rest of your life Gaming between Capone, Nash and Dillinger blocks.

Or Stallone and Schwarzenegger blocks

One thing i did for my gamers was to type out the laws on A4, and when thety did a sentance roll agains a perp, depending on how well they rolled, depended on how long they could read the sheet before passing sentance...made it very tense and fun.

There are a million scenarios you can try out, and if anyone is short of a few ideas let me know and I will post some

:wink:

Back