Is Simon's wife out of town?

Is Simon's wife out of town?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• I hate this stupid poll because it doesn't have what I really want to answer.

• Total voters

Rurik

Mongoose
Simon Phipp (aka Soltakss) manages to buy just about about every new release, read them all, and write pretty sizable reviews (very informative too - thanks Simon! - except now I have to buy Pirates).

I say the better half must have been away at the time. What do you think?

Hehe, I think you're right, especially as he must have read all of them in the space of about three days.

Agree though, excellent reviews - I just bought Elric as a result, and Pirates will follow shortly. I hope he's earning commission...

Well, I won't spoil the poll by revealing the answer.

But, as of Friday the 3rd of August, at around 10pm, I will be spending a lot less time on the forums.

soltakss said:

But, as of Friday the 3rd of August, at around 10pm, I will be spending a lot less time on the forums.

You've made Rune Level and will have to spend 90% of your time and resources on your cult? :wink:

soltakss said:

Well there you have it folks - that pretty much proves the scientificality of polls!

atgxtg said:
You've made Rune Level and will have to spend 90% of your time and resources on your cult? :wink:

I made Rune Lord a while ago, but my High Priestess demands sacrifices, unfortunately.

soltakss said:
atgxtg said:

I made Rune Lord a while ago, but my High Priestess demands sacrifices, unfortunately.

:lol:

Well, here's hoping she she isn't High Priestess for the Crimson Bat. Else "sacrifices" could take on a different meaning. :wink:

Well, I can now reveal the answer to the Poll (Hooray).

My wife was out of town (Hooray) and is back (Hooray). She didn't bring me back any books on Russian/Bashkort History/Mythology this time (Boo) but did bring an atlas of Bashkortostan (Hooray) so I am going to update my map of Mythic Bashkiria for Mythic Russia, then convert all the Bashkort stuff to RQM/RQ3, hopefully making it work with Stupor Mundi.

Her coming back co-incided with a week's holiday (Hooray), a couple of days relaxing in Aberystwyth (Hooray) and my home broadband access being down (Boo), thanks to Orange's ineptitude. So, that's why I've been quiet lately.

But, I've gone through all my emails and a couple of pages on this forum and have just about caught up now (Hooray).

So, back to the Poll.

All those who voted No (0 people) were wrong, but ultimately proven right as she is now not out of town.

All those who voted Yes were originally correct, but untimately wrong as she is now not out of town.

All those who voted something else were wrong but probably sensible.

Rurik said:
Simon Phipp (aka Soltakss) manages to buy just about about every new release, read them all, and write pretty sizable reviews (very informative too - thanks Simon! - except now I have to buy Pirates).

I haven't bought Hawkmoon, as Wayland's Forge didn't have it for a few weeks and then my wife came back.

Over the weekend, I was looking at some RQ stuff when she came into the study/spare room, picked up 3 books, turned them over and said "Huh, £25", looked at the next one and said "Huh, another £25" and went to pick up another one, just to prove a point.

So I don't know when I'll be able to buy any more for a while. Maybe I can persuade her to go back to Russia again :D

soltakss said:
I haven't bought Hawkmoon, as Wayland's Forge didn't have it for a few weeks and then my wife came back.

Over the weekend, I was looking at some RQ stuff when she came into the study/spare room, picked up 3 books, turned them over and said "Huh, £25", looked at the next one and said "Huh, another £25" and went to pick up another one, just to prove a point.

So I don't know when I'll be able to buy any more for a while. Maybe I can persuade her to go back to Russia again :D

You know the solution to this one - next time she looks/comments at the price of a book, make her sit down and read it! Then she'll either a) accept the price is understandable given the content or b) have justification for her "huh, £25" jibes.

I'm betting the result will be b), of course, even if she does enjoy it. Wives are funny that way.*

Carl Q

(* - I talk a good solution. I couldn't get my wife to read a RPG book if my life - or hers - depended on it. And her timing is impeccable; guess where she was when I wrote the "Wives are funny that way" comment? Yup. Right behind me. I swear, it's a gift.)

A friend of mine had a similar problem justifying his RPG purchases to friends at work. His solution was to find something that the other people spent money on as a comparison. It turned out he spent less money of RPGs that they spent going out drinking, and he had something to show for it the next day other than a hangover.

What does the Mrs. spent money on?

CarlQ said:
And her timing is impeccable; guess where she was when I wrote the "Wives are funny that way" comment? Yup. Right behind me. I swear, it's a gift.)

It is a gift, literally. Her engagement ring to be specific.

I have figured out that diamonds are really magical crystals that link a woman to the man who gave it to her. That is how wives 'know things' and have that knack to be standing over your shoulder just as you type things about her. It is also why they covet diamonds so much.

Rurik said:
CarlQ said:
And her timing is impeccable; guess where she was when I wrote the "Wives are funny that way" comment? Yup. Right behind me. I swear, it's a gift.)

It is a gift, literally. Her engagement ring to be specific.

I have figured out that diamonds are really magical crystals that link a woman to the man who gave it to her. That is how wives 'know things' and have that knack to be standing over your shoulder just as you type things about her. It is also why they covet diamonds so much.

:D :D Oh, you just know someone is going to make a RQ-based magic item out of that statement now... :twisted:

CarlQ said:
You know the solution to this one - next time she looks/comments at the price of a book, make her sit down and read it! Then she'll either a) accept the price is understandable given the content or b) have justification for her "huh, £25" jibes.

Well, she's from Russia and her English probably isn't up to reading an RPG book, unfortunately. That and the fact that she detests with a vengeance my "Crazy Hobby".

Still, it's a moot point as I've just bought Hawkmoon without telling her (what a rebel). Now I've got to find a way of reading it without getting the Third Degree.

atgxtg said:
A friend of mine had a similar problem justifying his RPG purchases to friends at work. His solution was to find something that the other people spent money on as a comparison. It turned out he spent less money of RPGs that they spent going out drinking, and he had something to show for it the next day other than a hangover.

What does the Mrs. spent money on?

Shoes, clothes, handbags. I tried the "Well, that's the same as a pair of shoes or a pair of jeans" gambit but that just didn't hold water. After all, I only read them once then they sit on a shelf gathering dust. As opposed to a pair of shoes that she only wears once and then gathers dust in a cupboard. But that didn't go down very well, either. :(

soltakss said:
Still, it's a moot point as I've just bought Hawkmoon without telling her (what a rebel). Now I've got to find a way of reading it without getting the Third Degree.

Tell her Darren bought it for you as a present....

soltakss said:
CarlQ said:

Well, she's from Russia and her English probably isn't up to reading an RPG book, unfortunately. That and the fact that she detests with a vengeance my "Crazy Hobby".

I don't believe that getting her to read them will help, as my better half actually plays in games which I GM, and still complains about the amount I spend on books!
:?

elgrin

atgxtg said:

Very true, but after a night out drinking there is no physical evidence laying around the house that you spent £25. Rpg books on the other hand last a long time. A wife can't look at a shelf, count the number of times you went out out drinking, and multiply by 25 to come up with a dollar amount.

So while we see it as a bonus that we get to keep what we spend our hobby dollars on it can work against the married man. Had Simon just gone out drinking and to strip clubs and blown £200 while his better half was out of town she would be none the wiser - but no, he bought exhibits A, B, and C instead.

soltakss said:
Shoes, clothes, handbags. I tried the "Well, that's the same as a pair of shoes or a pair of jeans" gambit but that just didn't hold water. After all, I only read them once then they sit on a shelf gathering dust. As opposed to a pair of shoes that she only wears once and then gathers dust in a cupboard. But that didn't go down very well, either. :(

Sounds like my sister. She had a walk in closet that looked like the stock room for a clothing store. Had, only because she now owns a house, where she can store more stuff. About 75% of her clothes she has only worn once of twice.

It amazes me just how many pairs of shoes some women own. IMO anything over a dozen pairs is just wrong. I wonder just when the western world started to promote shoe fetishism.

Back