Is psionics a plot breaker or OP?

I guess every referee treats this differently. For me neither Recon nor Streetwise go beyond the mundane possibilties.

Rank 4 skills are extreme levels of competence. World class expert type stuff. So, I wouldn't say that they can do "supernatural" stuff, I am pretty generous with the level of success that can be achieved. Spy novel protagonist level of "something's not right" and whatnot. In some ways it would be better than Telepathy 1 and other ways not quite as good.

*shrugs* I find that psionics are pretty effective. They just aren't the psionics of superhero games. The only real weak point in making a psion in the RAW is that PSI strength is a separate thing from other characteristics. So you can't put your best of multiple rolls in it, like you can with the standard characteristics. Not having psions be Jedi but instead just being an alternative to tech solutions is not suffering.

The psion in my campaign was incredibly lucky. She hadn't planned on being a psion, but rolled the psion event in College and then rolled an 11 PSI, though this was somewhat offset by only learning Teleportation and Telepathy. Because she had good PSI, she actually took a psion career but with lesser PSI probably would've done a regular career and just had a few emergency tricks.

Traveller does have a few dumb rules put in for hypothetical "rules abuse" like the 1000D limit on M-Drives. But the rest of that rant about suffering is nonsense. The Charted Space setting is designed for galactic Age of Sail. Those things you think are to punish the players are actually to keep the authorities out of their hair so they can run around doing wild adventures and don't have to be the Stainless Steel Rat, where FTL comms and all the overbearing surveillance state of modern times can chase them down.

Mortgages matter if you are a merchant, where you have the ability to make hundreds of thousands of credits a month just as a space trucker even without the rediculously simplistic and generous speculation rules. The game doesn't assume that, though. In fact, it more often figures you don't have a ship or you have a detached duty scout. The latter has practically no expenses because you don't have a mortgage, the scouts do your annual maintenance, It's like three or four thousand a month to keep that in operation?
I'm going point-by-point here, Vor, not being picky.
1. The way I do PSI strength is players roll their 6 standard attributes and place them where they want them. If they really-really want to be a psion, I have them roll their tested PSI score at age 18... one roll that counts. The character then rolls for Talents. If the character is Imperial or Vargr, they have to have a PSI score of 9+ to get trained before college/first term. Otherwise they have to find a trainer during their career. If the character is Zhodani AND they have a Soc of 11+ they're automatically trained as Nobles [Zho nobles are trained psions, but even they can have low PSI scores]. If they have Soc of 10 and a PSI of 9+, they're an Intendant and trained for that.

2. I don't find the 100d limit to be a 'dumb' rule. It's a rule that lets the players interact with the rest of the star system, that's all. Without it, players would just teleport from mainworld orbit to mainworld orbit and there would almost be no reason to generate the rest of the system at all.

3. Both you and Alex are right about mortgages. It really depends on the players. If your table is excited about the idea of paying their ship off early by mucking about with trade, more power to them. If they'd rather not, then arrange the campaign that way. Forcing them to play a campaign that's not fun for them is where the terminal capitalism comes in.

1. The way I do PSI strength is players roll their 6 standard attributes and place them where they want them. If they really-really want to be a psion, I have them roll their tested PSI score at age 18... one roll that counts. The character then rolls for Talents. If the character is Imperial or Vargr, they have to have a PSI score of 9+ to get trained before college/first term. Otherwise they have to find a trainer during their career. If the character is Zhodani AND they have a Soc of 11+ they're automatically trained as Nobles [Zho nobles are trained psions, but even they can have low PSI scores]. If they have Soc of 10 and a PSI of 9+, they're an Intendant and trained for that.

2. I don't find the 100d limit to be a 'dumb' rule. It's a rule that lets the players interact with the rest of the star system, that's all. Without it, players would just teleport from mainworld orbit to mainworld orbit and there would almost be no reason to generate the rest of the system at all.

3. Both you and Alex are right about mortgages. It really depends on the players. If your table is excited about the idea of paying their ship off early by mucking about with trade, more power to them. If they'd rather not, then arrange the campaign that way. Forcing them to play a campaign that's not fun for them is where the terminal capitalism comes in.
No, the 100D limit isn't the dumb rule. It's the 1000D limit after which the ship's M-drive magically no longer works any more. So they can't go from one world in the system to any other world in the same system without having to go into a microjump.
This applies to small craft M-drives, too, which forced Mongoose to have to come up with a new variant of an M-Drive which takes up extra mass, uses up to 100 times more power than the old M-drives did, and feels like a pointless workaround with a "Whoops! We screwed up with the canon rules and we can't retcon this so we've had to come up with this extra unnecessary piece of equipment to make your Travellers' lives magically worse, and by the way you can always play it with M-Space rules."

Back in the LBB, there was none of this. Your Travellers could hop on to a Starship or a shuttle or a pinnace, and happily travel between planets and moons without needing Jump space.

THIS is a game breaker. Not psionics.

And I will now continue this tangential rant in another thread.

No, the 100D limit isn't the dumb rule. It's the 1000D limit after which the ship's M-drive magically no longer works any more. So they can't go from one world in the system to any other world in the same system without having to go into a microjump.
This applies to small craft M-drives, too, which forced Mongoose to have to come up with a new variant of an M-Drive which takes up extra mass, uses up to 100 times more power than the old M-drives did, and feels like a pointless workaround with a "Whoops! We screwed up with the canon rules and we can't retcon this so we've had to come up with this extra unnecessary piece of equipment to make your Travellers' lives magically worse, and by the way you can always play it with M-Space rules."

Back in the LBB, there was none of this. Your Travellers could hop on to a Starship or a shuttle or a pinnace, and happily travel between planets and moons without needing Jump space.

THIS is a game breaker. Not psionics.

And I will now continue this tangential rant in another thread.
Huh.
Maybe I'm old school, but the way I've always done it was that M-drives work in MOST of a star system... You'll have to microjump to the Oort Cloud [and desperately hope your astrogation is up to par], but otherwise the drive will get you to Pluto or local equivalent.

Re psionics or anything similar, the problem isn't that the PCs may have these sorts of abilities. The problem comes when the adventure writer insists on following a specific set of rails.

Or, to put it another way: if the PCs have those abilities then write your plots around the expectation that they'll be used.

So sure, thanks to the psion the PCs will know that the patron is planning to double cross them and may even know how the patron plans to do it. That doesn't screw up the story: it means that you have a different (and probably more interesting) one than, "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!" What can they do with that information? Maybe they'll just call the guy on it and walk away, or maybe they'll play along and turn the tables on him when the time comes because they know just where, when, and what to expect. Or, if they can't do it directly, then that patron probably has rivals/enemies who would appreciate having some intel on the guy, or an opportunity to draw the treacherous patron into a trap, with the latter having the added bonus for the PCs that they get to turnabout gloat about it afterward. And those are just a few generic/obvious options.

1) That's a fine houserule. I was just referring to the RAW.

2) Misunderstanding corrected by others

3) Sure. Traveller mortgages are just a stand in for "all the operating expenses of a merchant prince wannabe that we don't think are fun to actually spell out". If your players just wanna be Firefly-esque adventurers who use merchanting as an excuse to find adventures, mortgages are not useful. I basically have a 'space trucking' chart that basically just says "These are places you find contracts that'll cover your expenses IF you get there in the specified time" and the actual gameplay is adventures of various sorts.

Mortgages are only fun if your players want to lean into the "how much money can we make from trading instead of adventuring." I don't find too many players that have that inclination, but some do because the question comes up fairly regularly.

Probably half of my Traveller campaigns, the players didn't have their own ship. Maybe a quarter, they had some sort of starship that was just "the team bus" to get from point A to point B. Usually a Type S because it really is ideal for that. The rest were space trucking like I mentioned above. I can only recall one campaign in my 40 yrs of Traveller play where the players really got into trying bulk speculation and getting rich by trading. It was like 20 years ago, so I am kind of fuzzy on the details other than I spent a lot of effort on creating competition for them from other free traders, smugglers, and small corps.

Not yet started running Traveller and I was wondering if psionics can break plots to any great degree, eg. Telepathy in a murder mystery, etc. The Companion pre-ed option Psionic Community pretty much allows any player to roll up a psionic so I'd just like to be prepared for any potential game breakers!
Smart phones can break mystery games. Electricity also. Referees need to roll with it all.

Just remember the amount of trouble being found to be psionic can get you into within the Third Imperium
PUBLIC PREJUDICE
The climate of public opinion is extremely negative, to the point that individuals
find it unhealthy to admit of possession of, or sympathy for, psionic powers.
Psionic individuals who are detected by the public or the authorities are subject
to a variety of responses, based on a two die throw: 12+ Iobotomy, 10+ Iynching, 8+
for tarring and feathering, 6+ for imprisonment, 4+ for immediate deportation.

Just remember the amount of trouble being found to be psionic can get you into within the Third Imperium
Uh, YUP!
In one of my early EARLY LBB Traveller games, I had a psionic character. Nothing too crazy, iirc, my big talent was Awareness so it was nothing game breaking. In this game we were playing in Regina subsector and my character was trained at the Regina Psi Institute. I go to see my old master after a couple years of in-game time and I find him in a cheap startown apartment [a'la Cyberpunk] eating cheap ship rations, watching the 3-V and drooling a lot. Seems he got caught teaching students on the side and the authorities lobotomized him...
I was VERY careful about PSI usage after that....
It wasn't until 3 or 4 real time year later that the referee explained to me that the Regina Institute was run by the Imperial Navy and that every psion they trained was on the Imperial record books [at least in his game]!

I thought I saw somewhere in one of the MG 2nd edition books that psi prejudice is starting to cool down, circa 1105. Maybe I’m mistaken.

Though, of course, even if prejudice against psis is starting to recede 1105, I wouldn’t be surprised if it heats up again in 1107 because of the Fifth Frontier War.

Though, of course, even if prejudice against psis is starting to recede 1105, I wouldn’t be surprised if it heats up again in 1107 because of the Fifth Frontier War.
As with every aspect of the game, that's where the Travellers come in.
Your Travellers could be drawn into a campaign where they discover that somebody is pulling strings to get people hating psions again, only they uncover evidence that the man behind the hate crimes and stoking public resentment, hostility, and anti-psi bigotry has an agenda. His political rival, a community activist, is a telepath, and this is part of a plot to get her eliminated and blame it on the psion community, deflecting attention away from his shady moves to seize power.
The FFW, like all campaigns, centres around the player characters. NOT the tides of history in the background.
And tha t includes psion Travellers.
You know that whole thing about "psionics being illegal?" What do you think the Travellers do? Engaging in piracy, smuggling, burglary, abduction, heists, and murder? A whole career strand called "Rogue?" They're not exactly boy scouts running soup kitchens for the Lutheran church on the corner of Fourth and Havelock.

As with every aspect of the game, that's where the Travellers come in.
Your Travellers could be drawn into a campaign where they discover that somebody is pulling strings to get people hating psions again, only they uncover evidence that the man behind the hate crimes and stoking public resentment, hostility, and anti-psi bigotry has an agenda. His political rival, a community activist, is a telepath, and this is part of a plot to get her eliminated and blame it on the psion community, deflecting attention away from his shady moves to seize power.
The FFW, like all campaigns, centres around the player characters. NOT the tides of history in the background.
And tha t includes psion Travellers.
You know that whole thing about "psionics being illegal?" What do you think the Travellers do? Engaging in piracy, smuggling, burglary, abduction, heists, and murder? A whole career strand called "Rogue?" They're not exactly boy scouts running soup kitchens for the Lutheran church on the corner of Fourth and Havelock.
And if you wish to do a campaign like that, I suggest getting the T4 book Psionic Institutes. It takes a deep dive into the politics and public relations campaign that led to the Psionic Supressions to begin with.
The molding of public beliefs for the purpose of both positive and negative change in a society is called 'memetic campaigning' or a 'memetic offensives'. It not only uses memes but factual studies, public relations spin, and outright conspiracy theorizing. It is characterized by using all facets of human public discourse [logic, reason, reactionism rhetoric, oratory, humor, irony] in one package to force a widespread change in beliefs. While not using those exact terms, the T4 Psionic Institutes book describes just that sort of thing in a campaign format.

About the T4 Psionic Institutes book:
I have been saying this book was about the era of the Psionic Suppressions. I was wrong. The book was specifically written as a Milieu Zero book. However is still contains a great deal of discussion on how psionics are viewed and received. The seeds of Suppressions are definitely in there.

About the T4 Psionic Institutes book:
I have been saying this book was about the era of the Psionic Suppressions. I was wrong. The book was specifically written as a Milieu Zero book. However is still contains a great deal of discussion on how psionics are viewed and received. The seeds of Suppressions are definitely in there.
A mix of fear (of what they don't understand) and envy (of the power psions can wield). Everyone will have a third-hand story of someone whose mind was scrambled by a psion, and most of those story will be fakes. We had witch hunts in the past, psion-hunts are the same.
You are right that the seeds of Suppressions where already there back in the millieu zero, and probably had always been present.
Or I'm just overly pessimistic.

A mix of fear (of what they don't understand) and envy (of the power psions can wield). Everyone will have a third-hand story of someone whose mind was scrambled by a psion, and most of those story will be fakes. We had witch hunts in the past, psion-hunts are the same.
You are right that the seeds of Suppressions where already there back in the millieu zero, and probably had always been present.
Or I'm just overly pessimistic.
Just map the experience of being psionic to that of being LGBTQIA+ in the Sixties. It was illegal in the UK, right up to 1967 when the Wolfenden Report broke the hysteria apart and took homosexuality off the statute books.
It took thirteen more years for the World Health Organisation to take being gay off their list of dangerous communicable diseases. Seriously. They used to think that being queer* was catching.
Then Thatcher came along with Clause 28, which became Section 28, and being gay was a crime yet again. Took fifteen years for that stain to be scrubbed out of the law books.
Now map that to the psion experience. Psions hang around with one another, form secretive communities, seek relationships and to raise families with their own. And then you get the karens out there who think it's catching, and psions hang around bathrooms looking to turn kids into telepaths.
That's the look of the dumpster fire, right there. That's the subtext. Whether you like psionics in Traveller or not, they're a persecuted minority, and the parallels with being LGBTQIA+ in the late 20th century, where Traveller was born, are inextricable.

Point being, psionics is part of the character's identity, as much as being an Aslan or a Vargr. It isn't like a career - you can be a former Rogue, an ex-Army grunt, and of course there is always retirement, even for Marines (gawd bless 'em) and Scouts.

But you'll always be a psion, possibly as alien as any weird creature sitting at your Free Trader's Navigation console.

*Present company included. I've been the B and A in LGBTQIA+ since childhood.

Back