Inspirational Films

Aholibamah

Mongoose
I thought (perhaps it has been done but what the hey) it would be fun to put together a list of inspirational films for the setting. What I would like though instead of the usual simple list would be a brief blurb on why you find certain films good.

My list so far is:
13th Warrior (for the dark ages feel to it, the sense of great long journeys, of mysterious cults and desperate fights)

Fire and Ice (old cartoon. It is a little silly in places but it conveys the sense of primeval kingdoms, vast weird jungles with monsters in them, has a beautiful princess wearing almost nothing, etc--evocative of Conan in some ways)

Dark Kingdom of the Dragon King (a slightly odd retelling of the Siegfried myth, but it looks VERY Conan-esque in my opinion, and there are battles and fights in strange environments. Not great but certainly watchable and entertaining)

Dragonslayer (another dark ages setting film; Dragonslayer is good for its portrayal of a small kingdom beset by a monster, for the sense of the rarity and yet the power of magic--as in Conan magic can do a lot but it does not necessarily trump everything. The dragon is probably one of the best still presented in cinema)

'Pathfinder' - not the recent nonsense but the original Norwegian film released in 1987:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093668/

A must-see for anyone gaming in the frozen north - and it separates out simple barbarians from wicked savages - they killed his dog, damn them! Also a handy tip on what to do if you think a man with a bow is hiding behind a door.

How about 'Gladiator' for honest fighting men trying to get along amongst the 'splendours' of a decadent civilisation? If you like your Hyborian kingdoms classical rather than medieval then it's a perfect evocation.

Weren't there some movies with an obscure Austrian bodybuilder in them that might be relevant?

If you want to see a great epic swordplay movie with really good combat scenes, realism and violence, I think you Conan fans will appreciate Musa, the warrior.Here's a link to a trailer. This was the most expensive movie made in Korea, and it's breathtaking. It's set in the 14th century, in a Chinese Desert, nine Korean warriors (mastering each a different weapon) try to go home after a betrayal in China and rescue a Ming princess from rival Mongol forces. It's half historical/half Wu Xia Pian, it's epic, with a good music, it's a pleasure for the eyes and a story of courage and honor. One of my favorite movies. Try, you will not regret it.

Inspirational Films?

Hmmm
Deathstalker, OK it's a Conan rip off, but it has some interesting ideas, a hero who is morally ambiguous, and lots of bouncy breasted semi naked girls!
In fact any of the many italian Sword and Sorcery movies have some aspects worth using.
The Sinbad movies can be looted for plot ideas as again Magic is seen as rare and to be feared. Plus the idea of voyaging to remote locations to cure a terrible curse is very Howard.

Last of the Mohicans, if you want to know what Pictland looks like watch this film.
For a less balanced view of the coflict between forest dwelling natives and settlers there is The Northwest Passage, which has two epic journeys split by a fairly bloody battle.

Brotherhood of the Wolf, oppressive forests, a monster stalking the wilds and an evil cult. Perfect Hyborian fare.

There are others but I am seperated from my DVD collection by this work thing.

a good and entertaining sword and sorcery movie: the beastmaster

I would add "Troy" because the hero depicted there could have been wrote by Howard.

What about the ballzy, action-pack, slug-fest of Ranbow Bright or Steel Magnolias? :p LOL

I find that the old Ray Harryhausen films work for my taste. You cant go wong with the classics. Have ANYONE ever seen The Colossus of Roads? That was a dame good movie!

I'll have to check some of these out, good call.

Another: Clash of the Titans is more Greek mythology in its basis but some of the scenes could fit Conan very well, in particular the lair of Medusa.

Aholibamah said:
I'll have to check some of these out, good call.

Another: Clash of the Titans is more Greek mythology in its basis but some of the scenes could fit Conan very well, in particular the lair of Medusa.
This scene is in the movie "Jason and the Argonauts"

In this film, there is also an excellent sorcery spell as the magician creates skelettons from the teeth of a monster.

Ill second Apocalypto, but some of it could be black kingdoms as well.

Im not going so far as to suggest He-man, but star metal was cool idea so ill use that one day. (cant forget that skeletor vs beastman video, its tainted them forever.)

300 has a very Conanesque look and feel. Might makes right, degenerate priests... And lots of bloody combat! I love the high-contrast black and white/subdued color visual style of this movie. I would love to see a Conan movie done the same way, like bringing a B&W Conan comic to life!

MP

I think the "King Arthur" movie of a few years back is worthy of adding to the mix of inspirational films...

Thinking Further

Apocalypse Now, for inspiration on the Pictish wilderness, and any other Jungle
Zulu and Zulu Dawn for the Black Kingdoms
And i suppose any early Tarzan film too, they may not be accurate but they work or Conan
The historical parts of The Mummy and The Mummy Returns, and even 'The Scorpion King' for inspiration.
I Claudius, Rome and Spartacus for political backstabbing and decadent cultures. I suppose it seems odd to describe a civilisation at the start of it's peak as Decadent, but then Rome is an odd contrast of a vigourous expansionist state with a decadent heart.

Itkovian said:
Apocalypse Now, for inspiration on the Pictish wilderness, and any other Jungle.

The German movie Aguirre : The Wrath of God also does the job (in a very Westermarckish way).

For some reason, The 70's Three Musketeers keeps popping into my mind. Perhaps it would be useful for those interested in setting a campaign in Zingara...

Those were probably the best versions--enough grittiness to be taken seriously but also all the wild fun and daring, intrigues and secret messages and good lines.

Aholibamah said:
Those were probably the best versions--enough grittiness to be taken seriously but also all the wild fun and daring, intrigues and secret messages and good lines.

I think my favorite movie quote is from that film, when D'Artagnan is impersonating Rochefauld and the boat captain tells him the permit is for one person only. "But I am only one person. THAT is a servant."

Well, I have to admit that I've seen everything mentioned earlier, except Steel Magnolias and the Korean Film.

THe original "pathfinder" film from finland really kicks ass, what a brutal film that could easily translate to the frozen tundras of hyperborea.

I am a big fan of the "Rome" miniseries byHBO, not truly conanesque, but very close to what I envisage Nemedia and Aquilonia to being in their heyday.

I agree that the Remaking of the Nibelungen Saga/ Ring saga was pretty damn cool, The DragonKing, or something like that.

Hmm what is my contribution here: well I guess I can add the film of Excalibur to the list only in as much as how I liked the concept of magic being portrayed - powerful, yet subtle, but incredibly tiring. I always love the scene of a half naked Helen Mirren aging 50 years as she casts a 'fog' spell to cloak the oncoming army.

Spectator said:
Well, I have to admit that I've seen everything mentioned earlier, except Steel Magnolias and the Korean Film...

Can I second Musa: the Warrior here. Not your average martial arts superhero movie but much much more in the gritty style of 13th Warrior. There's a trailer online at http://www.madman.com.au/actions/trailer.do?method=view&videogramId=1345

Also Kurosawa's masterpiece Seven Samurai. Still one of the best action movies ever made. Ever! There's a trailer (that doesn't do it justice) on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqQXC8Tv8U . If I was to recommend anyone see just one movie from this list it would be Seven Samurai.

Cheers

Dave

Back