Inspirational Films

Spectator said:
Well, I have to admit that I've seen everything mentioned earlier, except Steel Magnolias and the Korean Film.
I repeat myself, but Musa, the Warrior is one of the best sword movies I've ever seen. Think about Hyrkanians, Khitans and a desert in the mysterious East. Betrayal, courage, bloody and gritty fights. My players are currently near the Vilayet Sea and I will send them in the desert. There they will have to free a princess from the Turanians...
THe original "pathfinder" film from finland really kicks ass, what a brutal film that could easily translate to the frozen tundras of hyperborea.
I've seen most of the movies mentioned here and I do agree with a lot of the comments. I think I'll try to see the two I've missed, Pathfinder and Apocalypto. Thanks all for the advices. 8)

What about inspirational films for Zamora and Stygia? I was thinking of the Egyptian parts of "Rome" for Stygia as well as "Cleopatra". (which has that huge ship battle in it) Also "Ben Hur" has a nice galley fight in it too.

Sgt Zim said:
Aholibamah said:
Those were probably the best versions--enough grittiness to be taken seriously but also all the wild fun and daring, intrigues and secret messages and good lines.

I think my favorite movie quote is from that film, when D'Artagnan is impersonating Rochefauld and the boat captain tells him the permit is for one person only. "But I am only one person. THAT is a servant."

That was one of my favourites too. ;)

Spectator said:
THe original "pathfinder" film from finland

Last I checked, us Norwegian were behind that movie. But OK...

I'd like to add a little too. Predator. Replace the soldiers with a party, the CIA spook with a representative of the employer of the party, and the Predator's high tech with something a little less techy but a little half-sourcerous, and off you go. Makes for a tight and paranoid game.

Also, the Alien movies can be plundered to death. Make up some rules for the alien(but change the appearance and characteristics slightly), throw the party onto a large dungeon on some forgotten island, and voila. Even more paranoia and fear.

*evil cackle*

Actually "Aliens" is the perfect one of those films to use. A rescue mission? Easily translated. Weird reptilian creatures? Well, they certainly fit. Massacre of nearly everyone? This IS Conan.

Talking about Movies --
this is slightly off-topic but I didn't want to open a new thread for this
-- I just saw this here yesterday. A bit like The Gamers, but much shorter and... meaner. ^^

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-5825493270005637835

Hilarious. Enjoy. ^__^

(gotta love those Quebecois profanities)

Clovenhoof said:
Talking about Movies --
this is slightly off-topic but I didn't want to open a new thread for this
-- I just saw this here yesterday. A bit like The Gamers, but much shorter and... meaner. ^^

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-5825493270005637835

Hilarious. Enjoy. ^__^

(gotta love those Quebecois profanities)

hahaha! funny video :)

Well I watchced MUSA, tonight.

Impressive, kind of a tough ending, but overall really well produced.
Some of the fight scenes were a little over the top and the one glaring inconsistency I thought about, was that only one person in the mongol army had a bow?

Overall pretty good heroic flick.

The Boots of Escaping classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1cOKCnACr8&NR=1

These video are fun but the humour is a bit old now with all the RPG's around.

None did talk about the DnD movies. Is it that bad?

The King said:
None did talk about the DnD movies. Is it that bad?
I've only seen the first one (there are two, right?), but for that one I can say: Yes, it is that bad. And then some.

I guess the only way you credit the DnD movies (I admit I saw the first one, but it was on the sci-fi channel at night, I had no girlfriend, no-one knew I was watching it, and I threw popcorn at the TV becasues it wwas so bad), as I was saying the only way you credit the DND movie would be to credit it as inspiring you for NOT doing it the DnD style.

The movie was so lame I wasn't even rooting for the bad guys. I was rooting for 'father time' to get the movie over with.

[/b]

At least, you were brave enough to see it until the end. :D

I didn't had the opportunity to see it when it was released and as I rarely watch TV now (if ever), I don't think I will ever have the guts to see the disaster.

I remember a great Italian series in 8 parts from many years ago (Fantaghiro). It inlcuded much fantasy (rather than mere Sword & Sorcery) but the plots weren't bad.

I watched a pretty good Conan inspirational film yesterday on Sci Fi. It was called "Minotaur", based on the greek mythology. It was actually pretty good and had all the conan elements, scantily clad women, crazy evil villain, huge demon spawned beast, dark magics and prophecies and plenty of blood (done in context, not just pointless gore for the sake of set dressing).

one to see.

Black Robe
Before we ran a campaign starting in Pictland I had the players watch this movie to set the tone and it did -They went in being very scared of falling into the hands of the picts

Black Robe was a great film,
Not very 'politically correct' since it portrayed the Infians (hurons and Iroquois) as very bad-ass and bloodthirsty savages, which they were.

Great film.

Spectator said:
Well I watchced MUSA, tonight.

Impressive, kind of a tough ending, but overall really well produced.
Some of the fight scenes were a little over the top and the one glaring inconsistency I thought about, was that only one person in the mongol army had a bow?

Overall pretty good heroic flick.
I'm glad you liked it. :) I own the DVD and watched it again two days ago (I have seen it at least a dozen times): during the first short battle between the Chineses and the Mongols in the desert, the ambassador is killed by a Mongol arrow. At the beginning of the fight in the forest, the general is wounded and his men killed by arrows when they're surrounded by Mongols horse-archers.
And the "only man" you talked about was certainly the Mongol general who used his bow at the end of the movie.

Of course, during most of the fight scenes, the Mongols seem to (strangely) FORGET that the bow should be their main weapon and use melee weapons. Most of them don't have one. Others don't use them. Bows would have been helpful during the last battle.

Inconsitency, YES. But bows are used in three scenes and the Mongols also used lassos to capture Yeo-Sol at range.
I think you (SLIGHTLY :wink: ) exaggerated about this.

I would certainly NOT leave out Gladiator. Perfect for the Conan Game.

Neither would I leave out: The Mummy , Raiders of The Lost Arc and Hercules the Series.

Back