Improving Stats

zanshin

Mongoose
At the moment the rules for Improving stats are quite harsh - you are giving up a lot for a chance of improving a stat. Some stats in particular - Power say - are the fuel of the magic system and were much easier to increase in RQ2/3. Here are some of the ideas I have had about this. Also the mechanic (roll over 5 X stat on d100) takes no account of racial differences - why should it be easier for ducks and trollkin to reach their racial max STR than it is for Great Trolls

1) Vary the cost of an improve stat roll , either for all stats, or for stats that you want to allow increases in more easily - so maybe just 1 Improvement roll to try to increase POW.

2) Have failed attempts to increase a stat make the next increase easier ie after 1 failed stat roll, next time you try you roll over STAT X4 .

3)When you critical on a skill test in a situation where a stat is relevant
eg persistence test to resist a spell (POW) , influence test to charm someone (CHA) , Athletics test to lift an enormous weight (STR) give the character either a free stat increase test, or a bonus to a stat increase test roll should they pay for one.

4) When a character achieves mastery of a skill (90 or 100% ) according to taste, give them a free stat increase roll or bonus to a future one (stat relevant to the skill of course)

5) Racial modifiers - add (5 x racial maximum score) and subtract 105 from the increase roll. This creates a level playing field for races with higher than human racial maximums.

Just some ideas - feel free to add your own, comment etc.

My suggestion;

(Racial Maximum - Current Value) x 3%

Roll below that, and you increase the stat by one, instead of rolling above stat x 5%.

That way, it becomes harder and harder to increase your characteristics.

That would make it far harder than the current rules which are already more restrictive than RQ2/3 - not keen.

zanshin said:
That would make it far harder than the current rules which are already more restrictive than RQ2/3 - not keen.

Roll under (Racial Max - Current Stat) X 5 is how I have always done it.

Rurik said:
zanshin said:

I was going to suggest x5 at first. But I thought that would be too easy.

Archer said:
Rurik said:
zanshin said:

I was going to suggest x5 at first. But I thought that would be too easy.

Aye and we'd just be back using RQ2/3 again for that mechanic.

Vadrus

An idea I had was to allow spending a number of hero points equal to the current stat to automatically raise the stat by 1.

Or maybe spend a number of hero points equal to half the current stat in order to automatically raise the stat by 1. Or a third. Maybe I'll go with half.

I also plan to remove the stat caps. If you want to spend the points to go to 25 or 35 or whatever, it's up to you.

And I am looking for ways to make the stats more relevant. Right now they're not doing much.

Good idea Utgardloki.

I think STR, SIZ, CON, DEX and POW are all pretty valuable to increase. INT and CHA far less so , except INT for sorcerers.

POW is always goingf to be crucial in any world with magic.

close to what I was thinking of trying. The old Runequest made increasing a bit of a gamble, you could either raise it by 1 or roll 1d3-1. How about three hero points give you one additional stat point, or you could gamble and roll for D3 points in the stat.

Utgardloki said:
An idea I had was to allow spending a number of hero points equal to the current stat to automatically raise the stat by 1.quote]

We haven't really seen POW gain or anything to do with Spirits yet, so the wise person might hold off on that aspect.

Might want to consider how thats phrased - I consider myself to be at least averagely wise :D

So far stat gain , in the core rulebook, is a random roll over burning 3 improvement rolls. For non POW stats, not a big deal maybe, although it is a change of pace from previous versions.

If the companion provides a different means of POW gain , then fine, i'll take that on board, but at the moment POW gain that slow, especially given the need to attune Runes at 1 POW a pop, would result in a very different feel to Gloranthan roleplay than at present.

INT is critical for your Strike Rank modifier.

Thanks , forgot that - INT in the past was both a crucial stat (experience, skill bonuses, max spells known) and very difficult to change. It does seem less crucial now.

And the max spells a sorcerer can know.

And Pow is vital for casters of all types.

Each is important in its own way.

I did mention INT for sorcerers, with you 100% on POW.

Back