Hyborian Bestiary

slaughterj said:
patsully98 said:
slaughterj said:
2. includes the following:
a. all prior monsters, creatures, animals, etc. from all the materials published thus far, and addresses the varying stats in different sources (e.g., lions from 3 different sources, etc.),

I too would like to see this. I bought the pocket edition, and there's no monsters in there :cry: However, I totally feel for the people that shelled out their dough on the supplements, and I'd be a little disappointed if page and word counts were 'wasted' on things I've already bought.

Having it all in one easy to carry and easy to reference book is not "wasted" to me.

I absolutely agree, and hope most people feel like you and I do so all those monsters end up in that book! :)

There's no need to just repeat entries, since there's more to say about many of these monsters. For instance, you could put together interesting pieces on various kinds of ghosts (from several stories) and werecreatures (e.g. from "In the Forest of Villefere" and "Wolfshead").

But I hope the new version of the game abandons the idea of air, earth, fire and water elementals.

I like the elementals, they are fitting to the genre, and the creature summoned by Pelious in Scarlet Citadel seems to match what is described as an Air elemental in the Core.

As I now read some Conan comics (Conan the barbarian reprints), I also wish there are some creatures from the Roy Thomas saga.

Moreover I think some rules on creating specific otherworld creatures would be cool. 8)

Speaking of, I dont have RoK in front of me, but I was browsing through it the other day, and in talking about the Boarder Kingdoms, there is a creature mention there, also a race of near-humans. The creature I cant remember the name of.... but they give me a feel like there similar to three-krin from DnD. Does anyone know where these are in futher detail, or anyone have more Ideas on these, Ill post the name of them later, there on the page with the snow worm.

I think the way to go here is to split it into different categories, something like

A) Fauna and Wilflife of Hyboria
(Beasts, animals and monsters)
B) Unnatural Beasts of Hyboria
(Manapes, Undead, flesh eating worms etc)
C) Unspeakable Horrors
(Stats on some demons and stuff from beyond + lots of info on creating your own personal haunting horror)

But what I would REALLY welcome would be a big stat up on human foes...

The King said:
As I now read some Conan comics (Conan the barbarian reprints), I also wish there are some creatures from the Roy Thomas saga.

There are. I am a big fan of Roy Thomas. The Hydragon, for example, from Aquilonia is a Roy Thomas Hyborian age creation. The Half-Men of Eridu and Yemli from Road of Kings are Roy Thomas creations. I don't know about the other authors of the line, but if I am allowed to keep writing the books, there will be more RT creations as I go.

The King said:
Moreover I think some rules on creating specific otherworld creatures would be cool. 8)

There are some rules for this (sort of) in Ruins of Hyboria on pages 137-141.

VincentDarlage said:
The King said:

There are. I am a big fan of Roy Thomas. The Hydragon, for example, from Aquilonia is a Roy Thomas Hyborian age creation. The Half-Men of Eridu and Yemli from Road of Kings are Roy Thomas creations. I don't know about the other authors of the line, but if I am allowed to keep writing the books, there will be more RT creations as I go.

I was also impressed by the shadow (and the ring of shadows) in the adapted story the altar and the scorpion (a shadow creature which grows with every victim it destroys).

Yes please include the shadows as i am using them in my "shadows over ophir" scenario, where the black shadow is reincarnated and leads a army of shadows to conquer ophir.

Please also include the snowapes from "lair of the Iceworm" and Conan the Barbarian Vol 1, No.2.

Etepete said:
But what I would REALLY welcome would be a big stat up on human foes...

Argh, I got about 99% of the way through updating Vincent's NPC sheets and then been swamped by work, really need to wrap those up for Atl ed before 2nd ed comes out?!

From Game Trader Magazine #89:

Conan RPG: Bestiary of the Hyborian Age

From creatures springing from Robert E. Howard's epic novels like the standard Grey Ape and Black Shark to new threats such as the sociopath Maneless Lion and the bloodthirsty Wolfen, Bestiary of the Hyborian Age details a host of beasts, animals, and demons to unleash into your Conan: The Roleplaying Game second edition campaign. Scheduled to ship in September 2007.

MGP 7803 -----------------------$34.95

8)

In the following quote you mention "the ogre-like creatures (Conan the barbarian)" Are you speaking of the skeletons that are around Mako's dwelling place?

The King said:
An Hyborian bestiary is scheduled for this summer and I opened this thread to make sure every critter makes its way into the book. So feel free to add your ideas (but please quote your sources).

I noticed that some monsters are lacking in any Conan book (until now) though they belong to what could be considered canon (even if it stems from pastiches):

- the ice worm (the lair of the ice worm)
- the giant slug (Hall of the dead)
- brylukas (the flame knife)
- the massive entity of the outer world (conan of the isles)
- the ghost-entity (the castle of terror)
- the demons of the night (the hand of nergal)
- the ogre-like creatures (Conan the barbarian)
- I would also include the demon lord Dagoth (Conan the destroyer)

afro-slav said:
In the following quote you mention "the ogre-like creatures (Conan the barbarian)" Are you speaking of the skeletons that are around Mako's dwelling place?
No, I was talking of the cannibalistic race that appears in the book Conan the barbarian.
In the movie one sees humans but what is served to dinner is human meat. In the book, the interior of the Mount of Doom is more detailed and the race that lives in the cavern is more advanced than ape (because it uses tools) but is no less frightening.

Back