How would you covert AvP to SST?

Stratos

Mongoose
I'm interested in making balanced stats for Aliens and Predators utilizing the existing SST minis rules.

I was thinking of taking standard Alien warriors from the new Horrorclix line and using modified Mantis Bug stats. Make the Aliens size 2 instead of 3 with possibly 2 hits instead of 3 (has an Alien on screen in any of the movies ever died from any one bullet? I honestly don't remember). Aliens have acidic blood but I think retaliate is a bit to much... I don't ever remember Aliens "exploding" and taking one another out so while retaliate might work against CC enemies it won't serve a unit of Aliens well. But then, I was thinking each Alien would be independent like the Mantis rather than unit-regulated.

So, anyone care to help me make up some decent, balanced home rules?

I haven't thought out the Predators yet so help there too!

Thanks.

Well I too have thought of making stats for aliens but never did so for I couldn't find any minis. There actually are alien warriors in AL|ENS that got blown to peices by a few stray pulse rifle rounds. There are several sub species of aliens; drones, warriors, runners, carriers, preatorians, ravagers, facehuggers, predaliens (presumably more sub species vary according to the enviroment their hosts lived in), cystic drones, cystic warriors, and then of course there is the queen (definatly not a sub species to the xenomorphs). Horrorclix you say? Maybe now I will make some rules. As for predators, I could probably do something there, maybe base some of the weapons such as the combi-stick on skinny weaponry. In some sense for cloaking we could do something similiar to arachnid burrowing but, the predator can choose to attack and react, also when they are in reaction range(or should it be closer?) predators are discovered and become uncloaked while in range or when shooting/attacking anything. More later I have to go to school.

I don't know whether you have got any Predator figures yet but Copplestone Casting make some good ones.

(Am I allowed to post pictures?)

Mr Benn said:
I don't know whether you have got any Predator figures yet but Copplestone Casting make some good ones.

(Am I allowed to post pictures?)

I've seen the Cobblestone minis but don't own any. Feel free to post pix for all to enjoy!!

Well, the Aliens are fast, strong and can climb, these stats are what I came up with just now.

Alien Drone
Size: 2
Move: 6"
Target: 4+
Kill: 7+
Save: 5+
Close Combat: 2xD6+1
Traits: Hits/2, Climb/6

Predator Hunter
Size: 2
Move: 4"
Target: 5+
Kill: 8+
Save: 3+
Close Combat: 1xD6+1
Traits: Hits/2, Piercing/1 (due to the wrist blades)

Shoulder Cannon
Damage: 3xD6
Range: 15"
Traits: Ready, Pack

Spear Gun
Damage 1xD6+1
Range: 18"

Disc
Damage: 1xD6
Range: 20"

None of 'em would be bound by units rules, as Predators usually work alone.
Note that there are no points values and there stats are from the top of my head.

Kristovich - fantastic! I like all your ideas and will likely use them... just need the point values to make a decent 2000-point army.

Anyone else?

Poko said:
kristovitch-shouldn't the aliens have /retaliate?
they are acid-filled after all :wink:

As I said in my original post - I'm on the fence about this.

And to further my arguement that they should NOT have retaliate despite being acid-filled... look in the Arachnid Army book... most of the "flame" bugs no longer have it... only Blisters.

Hmmm... but maybe since Blisters (acid-spitters) do... then Aliens should too?!

Well Praetorians and cystic warriors can spit acid. I think that retaliate should be included, but being acid the retaliate(splash damage) doesn't affect other aliens as they themselves are invulnerable to acid. Oh and what should the head-bite attack be? I think it should take a ready action to be used, but any smart colonial marine would beat feet/keep their distance, any thoughts?

Glad you liked the stats, I think I'll give 'em a playtest round if you don't mind! Maybe come up with some for Marines as well.

Pulse Rifle
Damage: 1xD6+1
Range: 20"

The Rilfe got D6+1 cuz it's 30mm after all, and a well placed shot can kill an Alien Drone, though a Predator is another thing. I'll give 'em all a try tonight and get a batRep up ASAP!

roughneck GIR said:
Well Praetorians and cystic warriors can spit acid. I think that retaliate should be included, but being acid the retaliate(splash damage) doesn't affect other aliens as they themselves are invulnerable to acid. Oh and what should the head-bite attack be? I think it should take a ready action to be used, but any smart colonial marine would beat feet/keep their distance, any thoughts?

Good points. So some sort of "allowance" would have to be made in the rules for retaliate so it worked against enemies but not against other Aliens.

For the inner mouth... it could be a D10 roll and treated like Warrior Bugs... the player can choose to have the Alien rip/shred the victim or bit with the inner mouth.

Maybe it could be a second roll. If the Alien is already in CC with opponent on the first Attack, then the second attack could be the inner mouth roll.

??

OK! Kristo, we still need stats for the following guns: magnum, smartgun, shotgun, SADAR, flame thrower, and the pulse rifle (like the morita) has several kinds of alternate underslung ammuntion available. I can give you guys loades of info on unit types for all three races, their weapons, equipment, etc :) , The allowance could be that marines could shoot 'through' other friendlies? Wait that can be cheap though. I dunno maybe some stim packs for the marines, and predators their cloaking devices?

For cloaking devices 2 ideas come to mind...

#1. Ambush with a twist. Instead of just lying and waiting in ambush until an enemy unit comes near and springing the trap... what if the Ambushing (Cloaking) Predator could fire - without revealing its location - if say an enemy came within X inches (12, 18, 20 inches... whatever we determine the standard weapon & range is for a Pred)?

#2. Use tunnel markers on the table to indicate where the models are - and the markers can shoot if they wish to reveal their location - but otherwise they're invisible to the naked eye?

Well, I'm back after a quick try on the rules.

1 Predator vs 3 Alien Drones, result, Predator Victory!

The Shoulder Cannon was nasty, so maybe make it a "no recation" weapon? The Drones I'm satisfied with, those things really hurt in CC, have yet to try with marines though :twisted:

Also, maybe give the Speargun D6+1 instead of just D6, otherwise you can just use the disc.

Part from that I like how the Predators turned out as well, they can get real nasty in CC as well.

As for further rules and such, my bro needs the computer right now, but GIR, send me a PM with info and I'll get to work ASAP, okay? :D

Make the preadtor shoulder cannon a ready weapon - since it's mounted on the shoulder you'd have to stop and aim before it couold be fired.

Wow! this is exactly what I was thinking about the other day. The stats are sweet. Stratos, I like your first idea for the cloaking, it seems to fit more with the Predators, though you want to say it gives away their position just long enough to give them say a 3" radius area that they think he might be in, not his exact location. He would probably move as soon as he shoots anyway. My 2 cents.

Bubba Ho-Tep said:
Stratos, I like your first idea for the cloaking, it seems to fit more with the Predators, though you want to say it gives away their position just long enough to give them say a 3" radius area that they think he might be in, not his exact location. He would probably move as soon as he shoots anyway. My 2 cents.

Good idea!!

This info from playing the AvP games (PC)...

Colonial marines have motion detectors. So I like the "use tunneling markers for cloaked predators" -approach. The marines would know the predators are around because as soon as they move they would show on the motion detectors.

Perhaps a two-sided cloaked-marker? One side for staying still (nobody can shoot that pred) and turn the marker to moving side if the pred moves (motion tracker armed squads can fire at moving cloaked pred, but the pred gets increased hit/kill scores because it's still invisible to naked eye and the marines have to guess the exact position.

Smartguns track movement, so would fire even invisible predator, so smartguns can fire normally at moving pred (even cloaked). Cannot fire at standing, cloaked pred.

In the games you lose the cloak when you shoot the plasmacaster...
But the preds had a harpoon gun that could be fired and still stay cloaked.

Aliens can smell the predator, so the cloak doesn't help it at all.

Aliens seemed to walk on walls as fast as on the floor, so if they have move of 6, they should have climb/6 too IMO.

Definently use retaliate for aliens (acid blood spraying from the wounds) and other aliens are immune to it.

Aniyn said:
Make the preadtor shoulder cannon a ready weapon - since it's mounted on the shoulder you'd have to stop and aim before it couold be fired.
And in the movies he stops and takes aim for vital parts of the body. Col. Stone I have played the PC games, and even avp: extinction :) . The spear gun could be used while the predator was cloaked as it doesn't release muzzle flash or any significiant heat plume.

For a marine asset, I could offer the AURORA space-based assisination system. Oh and for games that involve getting through doors we would need a marine equip with a comm-tech hacking device.

Back