High Guard Update 2022 - Now on PDF and Pre-Order!

Sounds great! I will have a look into this! Might create a separate forum channel where people could suggest content and guests they would like to see. I have been doing more behind-the-scenes insights over on our Instagram but an opportunity to discuss this in depth sounds fantastic!
Here would be a better option for something like that, keep it more in house. (As opposed to say Instagram).

Are there any starship modifications in the 2022 edition making a Traveller craft better suited for underwater operations? Presumably any streamlined or semi-streamlined ship can submerge as it's assumed ships can scoop fuel from oceans, but I'm thinking of ships that are particularly suited to deep dives and underwater use, like a system defense boat, but not to such extremes as the pressure hull for gas giant operations. There's no specific benefit mentioned to a reinforced hull aside from 10% more hull hit points, but I figure it's a given for an underwater craft, and presumably armor, although the sort of structural refit to keep pressure in/out isn't necessarily the same as hull armor intended to keep pointy/explody/coherent/plasma things out. I suppose some of the underwater accessories from Vehicle Guide could be adapted for things like sensors, but am I missing anything else for undersea spacecraft operations?

Intended primarily for gas giant research vessels, a pressure hull is designed to withstand incredibly high pressures. Components within the pressure hull are protected from damage, as is the hull itself, to a far greater depth than normal when skimming fuel.

Intended primarily for gas giant research vessels, a pressure hull is designed to withstand incredibly high pressures. Components within the pressure hull are protected from damage, as is the hull itself, to a far greater depth than normal when skimming fuel.
Yes, the pressure hull is intended for ships that can survive the lower levels of a gas giant's atmosphere, whose pressures are far above and beyond anything that would be encountered in the oceans of a terrestrial planet. So while the pressure hull would serve that purpose, are there hull reinforcements of a less extreme degree (like basic stealth vs. advanced stealth)? Does hull reinforcement provide any additional benefits to ship operations besides the 10% increase in hull hit points, such as greater resistance to hull pressure or other damage? I guess I'm thinking mostly in terms of underwater adventures, but maybe that's just because my campaign has visited a bunch of water worlds lately...

Yes, the pressure hull is intended for ships that can survive the lower levels of a gas giant's atmosphere, whose pressures are far above and beyond anything that would be encountered in the oceans of a terrestrial planet. So while the pressure hull would serve that purpose, are there hull reinforcements of a less extreme degree (like basic stealth vs. advanced stealth)? Does hull reinforcement provide any additional benefits to ship operations besides the 10% increase in hull hit points, such as greater resistance to hull pressure or other damage? I guess I'm thinking mostly in terms of underwater adventures, but maybe that's just because my campaign has visited a bunch of water worlds lately...
I would think that would be the normal reinforced hull option. Space isn't that much different from an ocean when it comes to separating breathable atmosphere from the... other thing. The major difference is density, so max speed and maneuverability, and which side of the bulkhead has the higher pressure.

I would think that would be the normal reinforced hull option. Space isn't that much different from an ocean when it comes to separating breathable atmosphere from the... other thing. The major difference is density, so max speed and maneuverability, and which side of the bulkhead has the higher pressure.
That's kind of what I was thinking--considering that it's pretty established canon that system defense boats like to lurk in oceans and the atmospheres of gas giants, and the High Guard SDB includes a reinforced hull and armor, it makes sense that the reinforcement serves as increased survivability in conditions of extreme pressure as well as that extra handful of hull damage points. Although given the new option for a pressure hull specifically to make deeper dives into a gas giant more practical, a special-purpose SDB to hide them out in the deep levels of a gas giant where no sane pilot would dare venture (but then, SDB crews aren't known for their sanity--all that staying cooped up in a ship with minimal recreation facilities for long periods...) could be a nasty surprise for a visiting fleet who assumes their fuel shuttles can scoop up hydrogen in peace!

From JTAS 1, p.93

Underwater Operations Kit (TL7)
Most starships have the ability to float on liquid water and a limited ability to dive beneath its surface to a depth of around 50 metres. The underwater operations kit includes add-ons and a drive that enable a spacecraft to dive to depths of up to 150 metres and travel underwater at a speed of up to 10 knots. There are two prerequisites; the hull configuration must be streamlined or standard and the ship must have fuel scoops.
The aquatic drive adds a pump and exhaust system to the scoops that facilitates submarine travel. The kit also enables the ship to travel on the
water’s surface but at only half the speed.
The underwater operations kit costs MCr0.02 per ton of hull and consumes 1% of the ship’s available tonnage. A more comprehensive underwater
operations kit is available at TL8 that costs MCr0.05 per ton of hull and requires 2.5% of the available space. The TL8 kit enables the ship to travel
to a depth of 1,000 metres and travel at up to 20 knots. Both kits consume a negligible amount of power but require an operational power source.

1. Buoyancy - starships tend to have large fuel tanks.

2. Crush depth - tends to depend on structural strength; how armour factor translates, beats me.

3. Hull - leak proof; in theory, automatic self sealing.

4. Propulsion - in theory, manoeuvre drive should have no issue, if it's rated above local gravitational influence.

I recently noticed a what may be a rule change related to power plant fuel between the prevision version of High Guard and the new 2022 version:

Previous High Guard (p.17):
Chemical power plants require 10 tons of fuel per ton of power plant for every two weeks of operation. Other power plants require fuel tankage equal to 10% of their size (rounding up, minimum 1 ton). This provides enough fuel for the power plant for a month (four weeks). This can be extended further by increasing the fuel tankage for the power plant (so, doubling it will provide enough fuel for eight weeks, and so on).

High Guard 2022 (p.18):

Chemical power plants require 10 tons of fuel per ton of power plant for every two weeks of operation. Other power plants require fuel tankage equal to 10% of their size (rounding up, minimum one ton). This can be extended further by increasing the fuel tankage for the power plant (so, doubling it will provides twice the number of weeks and so on).

Am I reading this correctly that power plant fuel requirements have doubled? (from 10% of power plant size equaling four weeks of fuel to now just two weeks)

Thanks for your help.

Chemical power plants require 10 tons of fuel per ton of power plant for every two weeks of operation. Other power plants require fuel tankage equal to 10% of their size (rounding up, minimum 1 ton) per month of operation. This provides enough fuel for the power plant for a month (four weeks). This can be extended further by increasing the fuel tankage for the power plant (so, doubling it will provides twice the number of weeks and so on).

You may want to recheck your copy of the update.

Condottiere, was correct. I downloaded a fresh copy of the pdf and found that the text "This provides enough fuel for the power plant for a month (four weeks)." is present.

Arkathan and Condottiere, thanks for your responses.

Last edited:
Back