High Guard is Here!

Sigtrygg said:
If I run a Star Wars based game then yes I may use them, having them as options is useful, but they are not and have never been baseline for the OTU.

Options are available, what you choose to use is up to you. Yes, there is stuff that may not fit into the 3rd Imperium setting but people might find useful for their own games.

alex_greene said:
The AHL was a bit retconned somewhat, wasn't it? Not entirely surprised: I don't think I'd have been happy to have seen a High Guard that had twenty pages devoted to decks of the Azhanti.

Deck plans where done differently for larger ships (Don't forget the Tigress deck plans taking up half of Supplement 3: Fighting Ships).

alex_greene said:
But you're probably going to end up with "per 200 tons of hull," knowing your luck.
Accept that there has to be a limit, but there's a heck of a difference between 1 power per 2 tons and 1 per 200 (making it about what I'd expect).

Most of the additional systems seem to take 1-2 power, but this taking 100 for a low 200 tonner?

It makes no sense to me that a ship firing a triple turret with 3 beam lasers would use up 15 power, but a static holographic display 100! I can understand a trade-off like you'd have to do if you wanted to use other systems, but half a ship's tonnage in power for a holographic display that really doesn't do much other than give a visual uniqueness or (impled) deception bonus is just broken imo.

I was sad not to see the Fast Trader, type A3 (which was in the original Supplement 2) not in High Guard - was hoping there would be (found it too heavy on big ships and not enough sample player-level ships imo)... any plans to release an official new-High Guard reconfiguration for it and/or more ship types (low-tonnage ships with Jump-3 would be nice)?

Thanx

AndrewW said:
Options are available, what you choose to use is up to you. Yes, there is stuff that may not fit into the 3rd Imperium setting but people might find useful for their own games.
Indeed - last time I played Traveller I used the Reign of Discordia campaign setting, which uses Tachyon drives instead of jump drives... and the rules for space travel in that book were non-existent and poorly adapted to Traveller. I used the Hyperspace rules for that campaign as it thematically fit in better with the space travel system described there.

I agree that a lot of what's in there won't be used for the OTU setting, but it's nice to have it e.g. if we want to use the Traveller system for a game (e.g. Judge Dredd or Strontium Dog) but not the OTU setting.

FentonGib said:
any plans to release an official new-High Guard reconfiguration for it and/or more ship types (low-tonnage ships with Jump-3 would be nice)?

I would be surprised if that did not appear. We will be doing, for example, a mini-supplement for High Guard in 2-3 weeks (with material drawn from the forthcoming Pirates of Drinax, so you can wait for that instead if you prefer) that adds Aslan ships to the new edition. So yes, things like that are more than possible!

msprange said:
FentonGib said:
any plans to release an official new-High Guard reconfiguration for it and/or more ship types (low-tonnage ships with Jump-3 would be nice)?

I would be surprised if that did not appear. We will be doing, for example, a mini-supplement for High Guard in 2-3 weeks (with material drawn from the forthcoming Pirates of Drinax, so you can wait for that instead if you prefer) that adds Aslan ships to the new edition. So yes, things like that are more than possible!
Awesome! Look forward to those. Thanks!

AndrewW said:
FentonGib said:
Possible errata?

The Holographic Hull states it uses 1 Power for every 2 tons of hull. Seriously? That means even a small 200 ton ship would be using 100 Power to have a holograph on the hull... as that uses more power than the basic system and Jump drive put together?

Surely that's gotta be an error?

No, it's not an error. Note, you don't have to make the entire hull holographic, can just use part of it, say like a company logo for example.

Whoever came up with this obviously has no idea about electronics, power consumption or holography.

If they can make a lifelike Tupac show up on a stage using a 220v connection, then surely the electrical engineers in the future are at least as good as ours?

This is simply ridiculous when comparing it to the power consumption of a multi mega joule laser. I suspect it was done for pure gaming purposes without factorING in any sort of reality, much like the life support system costs.

msprange said:

Awesome! The timing on that sounds like it will fit perfectly into my ongoing campaign.

AndrewW said:
FentonGib said:
Possible errata?

The Holographic Hull states it uses 1 Power for every 2 tons of hull. Seriously? That means even a small 200 ton ship would be using 100 Power to have a holograph on the hull... as that uses more power than the basic system and Jump drive put together?

Surely that's gotta be an error?

No, it's not an error. Note, you don't have to make the entire hull holographic, can just use part of it, say like a company logo for example.

A holographic effect should radiate exactly as much light as you would expect from an equivalent non-holographic image, plus some residual heat.

But this ship is dumping hundreds of units of power directly into the surface of it's hull, after all that energy has to go somewhere. It's going to be glowing hot in no time, and even if you argue that it disperses into space that's going to be easily detectable and probably have visible effects that will ruin any holographic image. The whole ship is going to shine like a lightbulb element, and a very dirty hot burning one at that.

EDIT: To be constructive, how about reducing the power requirement by a factor of 10 (still too high, but meh) and note that holograph projectors have a distinctive heat signature.

Simon Hibbs

moriturimax said:
Regarding Planetoids and Buffered Planetoids, in the initial description there is no direct value for hull points given.

Is it assumed that any planetoid has 1 hull point per 2.5 gross tons of the Planetoid?

Are the hull points per ton also adjusted for the massive ships rule? Or not at all?

And finally, can I tow in reinforced or light planetoids in addition to normal planetoids? As in, perhaps ice/rock/metal planetoids can be considered light/normal/reinforced "hulls?"
\
Thanks!
They follow the same rules as any other hull, except for base cost. So the answer to your questions are yes, yes, and at a guess reinforcement is done by the shipyard.

Just for an update, things that have been brought up are being discussed and worked on. An armour line for all ships for example is planned.

AndrewW said:
Just for an update, things that have been brought up are being discussed and worked on. An armour line for all ships for example is planned.
Thank you. It is nice to see the input is useful. :D

GarethL said:
AndrewW said:
GarethL said:
Are the hull points for the heavy fighter correct? Should it have 22 hull points?

Base hull = 20 (50/2.5)
Reinforced = 2 (10% of 20)

So, yup.
Let me rephrase that,

The stat block gives it 2.2 hull points,

I can hear the comment now; "So that is where my missing period went... " :lol:

-Daniel- said:
I can hear the comment now; "So that is where my missing period went... " :lol:

Ugh, just Ugh......I will not laugh, I must not laugh..it only encourages him.

Back