High Guard is Here!

GarethL said:
Is there any chance of getting an index in the final copy? Pretty please - I know with digital copies it has slightly less utility, but a lot of us use physical books at the table, and there is useful information about systems scattered all the way through this book,

I'll write it myself if there's a chance of it getting in,

This is by far my biggest complaint with Mongoose to date. Legend is a great game, but a pain in the rear to learn without an index in the rulebook; we tended to end up with me using an iPad racing the GM with his physical copy to find the information we needed.

It's disappointing to find Traveller follows the same trend, and - even if a separate all-book index is forthcoming - I simply cannot fathom it.

bluekieran said:
This is by far my biggest complaint with Mongoose to date. Legend is a great game, but a pain in the rear to learn without an index in the rulebook; we tended to end up with me using an iPad racing the GM with his physical copy to find the information we needed.

It's disappointing to find Traveller follows the same trend, and - even if a separate all-book index is forthcoming - I simply cannot fathom it.

Every Traveller hardback released thus far was intended to have an index. However, due to printing requirements, we must do books in multiples of 8 pages... and there has simply been no real room in the books up to now (at least, not without compromising the actual content).

So, expect to see an index in future books... space permitting!

Anyone in the US get their non-pre order hardcopy of High Guard yet? I was at my game store and the store manager, also waiting for his copy, called the main office as he ordered 4 copies for customers. Main office is also still waiting. We're desperate here! I need something that doesn't have battery or display issues.

Reynard said:
I need something that doesn't have battery or display issues.

Use a desktop computer plugged in?

I prefer physical copies myself in general, though the PDF can be handy as well. Haven't gotten one of the new High Guard yet either, but I'll get around to it.

It's just me. I find PDFs in general clumsier to use than hardcopy but I have them and use them when nothing else is available. Still building my TL 9 early ships with the PDF. I'm more comfortable with paper in hand or on the table. I and the other three people will be waiting.
....Is it here yet?

And the answer is IT IS HERE! Stopped at my Local Game store today and there it was on the rack waiting. Came in yesterday. They received 5 copies. Store manager and I spent the next 5 hours reading and discussing things we found. I worked on one design for the Dawn of Jump thread and conceived other ideas for ships. Now I'll say it was worth waiting for. It goes to work with me tomorrow for my lunch break.

Reynard said:
And the answer is IT IS HERE! Stopped at my Local Game store today and there it was on the rack waiting. Came in yesterday. They received 5 copies. Store manager and I spent the next 5 hours reading and discussing things we found. I worked on one design for the Dawn of Jump thread and conceived other ideas for ships. Now I'll say it was worth waiting for. It goes to work with me tomorrow for my lunch break.

Just got word that my copy is waiting for me behind the desk at the FLGS!

Auto-Repair software seems to be missing from the computer software selection.

It is referenced in the core rules p155 under Automated Duties, but I could find no mention of it, nor pricing in either the core rules or HG.

However a number of the ships in HG include it and extrapolating from that it would seem the prices should be Auto-Repair/1 5MCr and Auto-Repair/2 10MCr.

While us old grognards likely know what it is and how it should work from older versions of Traveller, the missing listing and description would likely confuse new players.

Suggestions:
Labs should probably consume 1 PP each since Medbays consume 1 PP.
Workshops should consume at least 1 PP and probably 2 given that machine shops use a lot of power (I've had to pay the electric bill for one so :? )

Bardicheart said:
Auto-Repair software seems to be missing from the computer software selection.

It is referenced in the core rules p155 under Automated Duties, but I could find no mention of it, nor pricing in either the core rules or HG.

Core Rulebook ship computer software is on page 151.

Thanks, somehow I missed that. You might consider inserting that page reference into HG to help players find things. I would suggest replicating all the software there for the sake of having everything in one place, but there probably isn't room.

Back