High Guard is Here!

Possible errata?

The Holographic Hull states it uses 1 Power for every 2 tons of hull. Seriously? That means even a small 200 ton ship would be using 100 Power to have a holograph on the hull... as that uses more power than the basic system and Jump drive put together?

Surely that's gotta be an error?

FentonGib said:
Possible errata?

The Holographic Hull states it uses 1 Power for every 2 tons of hull. Seriously? That means even a small 200 ton ship would be using 100 Power to have a holograph on the hull... as that uses more power than the basic system and Jump drive put together?

That's something I was looking at as well. It does not make sense to me at all. I would also let it have a modifier for visual sensor detection as well, whether it be black with stars in space or camouflaged on a planets surface. It does mention faking battle damage. Question is how strong of a modifier, and that's probably going to be on a case by case basis.

Clarification Request: Point Defence Batteries

Page 33 defines point defence batteries as "...linked short-ranged laser turrets..." Does that mean the various Weapon and Screen Advantages (page 49) can be applied to them?

It may make automated PD defences horrifically expensive but that's often not a concern when governments are involved.

FentonGib said:
Possible errata?

No, it's not an error. Note, you don't have to make the entire hull holographic, can just use part of it, say like a company logo for example.

AndrewW said:
FentonGib said:
Possible errata?

No, it's not an error. Note, you don't have to make the entire hull holographic, can just use part of it, say like a company logo for example.

The power requirements are still horrific in relation to other items that use power.

Spartan159 said:
The power requirements are still horrific in relation to other items that use power.

I didn't say it didn't take a lot of power. Chances are if you want to make much use of this you may need to let other things go, and/or put in a larger power plant. It's a trade off.

AndrewW said:
Spartan159 said:

I didn't say it didn't take a lot of power. Chances are if you want to make much use of this you may need to let other things go, and/or put in a larger power plant. It's a trade off.

A trade off of what, exactly? I don't see this as being anywhere near as powerful as stealth coating, I don't see holo projectors taking more power than ship sized lasers and certainly not more power than a jump drive yet there it is. I'm failing to see the balance issue here, it's not like it's a cloaking device.

Regarding Planetoids and Buffered Planetoids, in the initial description there is no direct value for hull points given.

Is it assumed that any planetoid has 1 hull point per 2.5 gross tons of the Planetoid?

Are the hull points per ton also adjusted for the massive ships rule? Or not at all?

And finally, can I tow in reinforced or light planetoids in addition to normal planetoids? As in, perhaps ice/rock/metal planetoids can be considered light/normal/reinforced "hulls?"
\
Thanks!

SSWarlock said:
Hmm. Now this begs the question can barbettes use the popup option of turrets, assuming there's enough tonnage available to allow such a configuration?

In official 3rd Imperium material, no. But for your own stuff, go right ahead if you want to.

P63, Broad spectrum EW
Does the free EW attack prevent other EW attacks against that salvo that turn (normally a salvo can only be hit by one EW attack per turn IIRC),

AndrewW said:
In official 3rd Imperium material, no. But for your own stuff, go right ahead if you want to.
Where is the explanation of which weapon systems are allowed in the third Imperium setting and which are not?

I can find the sidebar about spinal mounts but nothing about the status of the 'ion' cannon or tachyon cannon.

GarethL said:
P63, Broad spectrum EW
Does the free EW attack prevent other EW attacks against that salvo that turn (normally a salvo can only be hit by one EW attack per turn IIRC),

On that one I rule it as - the best EW check overrides the previous ones. i.e. I would make it affect any salvos which are not affected by anything better. But this is my personal rule.

FentonGib said:
Possible errata?

Possibly. There might be a couple of zeroes left on the printing room floor. It only remains to ask - how many zeroes do you want to see there? 200 is good. 2000 tons, even better. But you're probably going to end up with "per 200 tons of hull," knowing your luck.

Sigtrygg said:
AndrewW said:
Where is the explanation of which weapon systems are allowed in the third Imperium setting and which are not?

I can find the sidebar about spinal mounts but nothing about the status of the 'ion' cannon or tachyon cannon.
Maybe those are starting to find themselves coming into the Third Imperium setting too ...

So you are trying to get Star Wars into the 3I via the back door - no thanks you.

These weapons systems are cinematic science fantasy - ion cannon actually has nothing to do with ions and is misnamed, but hey, that's what it's called and does in Star Wars right; tachyon cannon is right out of anime - and have no place in the Third Imperium setting.

If I run a Star Wars based game then yes I may use them, having them as options is useful, but they are not and have never been baseline for the OTU.

Sigtrygg said:
If I run a Star Wars based game then yes I may use them, having them as options is useful, but they are not and have never been baseline for the OTU.

High Guard covers all universes, not just the 3I. You should be comfortable with the ships detailed in the 3I chapter of the book.

I am more than happy - AHL deckplans aside - with the treatment of the S9 ships. The conversions are pretty good.

I just picked up from the playtest that what was explicit for the 3I and what is not would be mentioned somewhere.

I like having the options for designing stuff that is not OTU, it allows me a flesh out some of my non-OTU settings.

The AHL was a bit retconned somewhat, wasn't it? Not entirely surprised: I don't think I'd have been happy to have seen a High Guard that had twenty pages devoted to decks of the Azhanti.

Back