Hawk the Slayer

Not sure if anyone else has had an opportunity to catch this b-movie gem, but besides it being a favorite since childhood, I think it's a pretty good DW film.

The period (armour, weapons, etc.) seems about right. Though not explained there appears to be a True Faith. There is only one elf and dwarf, and then the last of their kind, and they put some at unease. There is a dark sorcerer behind the scenes. The over use of the fog machine actually works to the films favor and gives it the feel I'd think the forests of Albion have.

All in all a great little piece of cinema that could really get a group in the mood. Of course, it is a b-movie so the group may also enjoy mocking it, but that's fun as well! :)

Hawk the Slayer is one of my favourite films. It's absolutely bloody awful, but in the best possible way!

I actually have the novelisation, and apparently it is actually set after a nuclear war, if I recall correctly. Who knew?

I've always liked it - saw it at the cinema when it came out. Didn't know about the nuclear war bit - makes me think of a Clifford Simak book "Fellowship of the Talisman" for some unknown reason.

Bernard Bresslaw as the giant.

I remember when I saw it, I think DragonQuest (SPI) had recently come out, so the two are linked for me.

Mark

Jonny Hodgson said:
Hawk the Slayer is one of my favourite films. It's absolutely bloody awful, but in the best possible way!

I actually have the novelisation, and apparently it is actually set after a nuclear war, if I recall correctly. Who knew?

Does radiation cause Elves then?

d(sqrt(-1)) said:

Carry on Slaying! :D I can't remember anything about this - especially not Mr. Bresslaw in a fantasy movie!

What was the name of the 80's fantasy movie where the main character had pet ferrets - Beastmaster?

CursedEarthPizza said:
Silent Scream said:
d(sqrt(-1)) said:

Actually isn't that Krull your thinking of?

nope, he's got it right. Hawk the Slayer!

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/hawkslayer/hawkslayer2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk_the_Slayer

ciclope2xq.jpg

Ah, I'm thinking of the same actor as the Cyclops.

Jiminy said:
d(sqrt(-1)) said:

Carry on Slaying! :D I can't remember anything about this - especially not Mr. Bresslaw in a fantasy movie!

What was the name of the 80's fantasy movie where the main character had pet ferrets - Beastmaster?

As people have said, he was also in Krull, which I think is much worse than Hawk the Slayer!

Beastmaster - yes that's the ferret one. I think there was a Beastmaster 2 even. Was that really loosely based on the Andre Norton book, or just completely different?

Mark

Actually I believe that there were 3 Beastmaster movies (The Beastmaster, Beastmaster 2 and Beastmaster The Eye of Braxus). I loved the first but the other two were....uncomfortable to watch.

Then of course there was Sword and the Sorcerer....how many RPGers started off wanting the truly ridiculous triple bladed sword? I seem to remember that for us it went all KoDT with one kid wanting a triple headed warhammer....

I wonder if that's where the Gillette vs Wilkinson Sword multi bladed razor war started?

d(sqrt(-1)) said:
Jiminy said:
d(sqrt(-1)) said:

As people have said, he was also in Krull, which I think is much worse than Hawk the Slayer!

Beastmaster - yes that's the ferret one. I think there was a Beastmaster 2 even. Was that really loosely based on the Andre Norton book, or just completely different?

Mark

Really, really loosely - the ability to comunicate with animals, and the actual animals used (hawk, big cat, 2 meercat-types) - plus the fact that the "spare" meercat gets killed - are all taken from the book of the same name, but everything else is changed, from genre to storyline to the name of the lead character. I saw the film first, and enjoyed it, but the book is really so far superior it's ridiculous.

Carl Q.

CarlQ said:
Really, really loosely - the ability to comunicate with animals, and the actual animals used (hawk, big cat, 2 meercat-types) - plus the fact that the "spare" meercat gets killed - are all taken from the book of the same name, but everything else is changed, from genre to storyline to the name of the lead character. I saw the film first, and enjoyed it, but the book is really so far superior it's ridiculous.

Carl Q.

Film production takes book and completely changes anything relevant to good story? No surprises there then.

I read the follow-up novel "Lord of Thunder" years before I found a copy of "The Beast Master".

Mark

I didn't even know that the movie was based on a book! Now I'll have to read that one.

Next you'll be telling me that Lord of The Rings is based on a book.....

Warhippo said:
I didn't even know that the movie was based on a book! Now I'll have to read that one.

Next you'll be telling me that Lord of The Rings is based on a book.....

I think much like LOTR, the books followed the film. ;)

WHAAAAT!???!?!?! Lord of the Rings is a book???? Now you'll be telling me that there's a sequel : )

We could go on with this forever....

The LOTR book is ok, but they added far too much stuff in to it, and took out all the kewl bits like the shield surfing. I guess they rushed it out to meet demand.

Jonny Hodgson said:
The LOTR book is ok, but they added far too much stuff in to it, and took out all the kewl bits like the shield surfing. I guess they rushed it out to meet demand.

Freinds of mine did have younger relatives tell them approximately that - well that they couldn't read the book as it was too boring. ho hum.

BTW, be warned, "The Beast Master" is more Western-SF than anything else. It's not like the film at all.

Mark

Back