GURPS Conan, anybody ever play this?

flatscan said:
I wish! Checking on google shopping, heavily used copies go for $40. New copies go for $99+. :shock:
I'm astonished that prices are that high. May be it due to the current success of Conan by Mongoose.

There is one thing I musk ask though: How is it that people can sell books at any price they wish while the current copyright holder doesn't see a cent, while it is at the same time forbidden to distibute them freely on the net.

This society is laughable and ridiculous.
The same society of pseudo-liberalism and freedom which ask money to the state (in fact ourselves) because they aren't able to professionaly run and manage an enterprise at the first sign of trial and difficulty.

The King said:
The same society of pseudo-liberalism and freedom which ask money to the state (in fact ourselves) because they aren't able to professionaly run and manage an enterprise at the first sign of trial and difficulty.

Time for barbarism to take over and wipe out civilization? Is that the vibe I'm getting here? :wink:

The King said:
There is one thing I musk ask though: How is it that people can sell books at any price they wish while the current copyright holder doesn't see a cent....

It's not any different than holding a garage or yard sale. You sell stuff you already bought for whatever price you think you can get - and the original seller doesn't see a cent.

I bought a Salvador Dali etching from a yard sale for $0.25 one year. Opened up a frame, found a certificate of authenticity, etc. Sold it on eBay for a considerable amount of money. I didn't go back to the yard seller and give him any. Mr. Dali didn't get any of that.

VincentDarlage said:
The King said:
There is one thing I musk ask though: How is it that people can sell books at any price they wish while the current copyright holder doesn't see a cent....

It's not any different than holding a garage or yard sale. You sell stuff you already bought for whatever price you think you can get - and the original seller doesn't see a cent.

I bought a Salvador Dali etching from a yard sale for $0.25 one year. Opened up a frame, found a certificate of authenticity, etc. Sold it on eBay for a considerable amount of money. I didn't go back to the yard seller and give him any. Mr. Dali didn't get any of that.

There's also difference in that second hand sale doesn't produce new copies like spreading them on internet does. There's still same amount of copies and same amount of people using it. Internet copying however means that effectively only one really needs to buy it and then everybody in the world could use it and they would also be effectively brand new. Used copies tend to have wears etc.

Of course if publisher feels offended he might consider releasing them on sale ;-) I guess those get that high prices because they aren't printed and sold anymore. If publisher would release them again at reasonable price guess from who people would buy it? New for 30$-40$ or new for 90$ second-handed? I know which I would choose as my source for book ;-)

tneva82 said:
Of course if publisher feels offended he might consider releasing them on sale ;-) I guess those get that high prices because they aren't printed and sold anymore. If publisher would release them again at reasonable price guess from who people would buy it? New for 30$-40$ or new for 90$ second-handed? I know which I would choose as my source for book ;-)

Not an option when the product is for a licensed character. Steve Jackson Games doesn't have the license to use Conan for RPGs any more. Mongoose has that license and unless SJG were to buy it back they legally can't reproduce that book. In Steve's own words on the SJG forums

Steve Jackson said:
(1) Mongoose HAS the rights. They have a book in print. The RPG rights to Conan are *not available.*

(2) Not only is nibbling around the edges of other people's IP difficult and risky . . . it can easily slide into Serious Bad Karma. I like to keep an open mind about gamer suggestions, but that doesn't extend to requests that we rip off the holders of legitimate rights, while perhaps staying technically legal. This is exactly the same feeling of entitlement that leads to piracy.

flatscan said:
Not an option when the product is for a licensed character. Steve Jackson Games doesn't have the license to use Conan for RPGs any more. Mongoose has that license and unless SJG were to buy it back they legally can't reproduce that book. In Steve's own words on the SJG forums

Right. Forgot that one.

Well. Still point remains that there aren't gazillion new copies coming out for free with second hand sales.

I've got no qualms with second-hand selling. Half Price Books is one of my favorite bookstores and no publishers see anything from their sales because it's all second-hand. And believe me, if I COULD find a new copy of GURPS Conan for $15, hell, even $25, I'd pounce on it. :wink:

flatscan said:
The King said:

Time for barbarism to take over and wipe out civilization? Is that the vibe I'm getting here? :wink:
Yes, it's in the mood.
Only to proove that it isn't very different now than it was in the Hyborian Age (i.e. Queen of the black coast).

VincentDarlage said:
The King said:

This is where the copyright law has become obsolete or even archaic because it is meaningless with the Internet.
Moreover it never considered 2-hand transactions because when you sell a book or a DVD 1st hand part of the price paid by the distributor include royalties and copyrights. But he the buyer sells it as 2-hand, the copyright doesn't apply in that very case.

In DVD case, most actors and actress's receive royalties (thus a kind of copyright) from each DVD sold 1st hand but nothing for 2-hand sells. This means thus that 2-hand sellers have more rights than 1st-hand sellers although they doesn't pay any compensation for this.
Isn't that a bit curious that such shadow transactions are thusly tolerated while other are not?

BTW, it is just a matter of fact, because I sometimes sell 2-hand.

The King said:
Isn't that a bit curious that such shadow transactions are thusly tolerated while other are not?

In traditional way there's just one copy running around and the one who sells it doesn't have it after that.

With internet copies you can spread as many brand new copies as you wish without any costs. In essence only one person needs to buy it in a first place and then EVERYBODY can have it. Doesn't work so with traditional system as there would be just that one copy circulating around so if more than 1 wants it then they need to buy more than 1 copy.

What's the alternatives then? Start stamping around 2nd hand sales? Bad idea. Or allow free copying over internet? Even worse idea.

Let's say I legally bought a file and a book. I can resell the book but can I resell the file? I can always say I didn't keep a copy (this may be true or not, but under the law you are usually - it probably depends of national legislation - you are honest until it's proven you have commited a delict).
Then where is the difference?

My understanding, mostly from discusions like this, is that if yiou bought one, you can sell one. The problem is people that buy one, and want to sell or give away 20.

As for reselling, you would not wanty to buy a car, andf be forced to keep it for the rest of your life, or give it back for free. Books are no different, you get what you can.

Back