GMs Screen...

iamtim

Mongoose
Yesterday (I think... the last three days on this board are starting to blur) someone posted about how nice the GMs Screen is, and someone else gave the poster a hard time about it.

Well, I just picked it up, and I'm here to tell you it's really nice.

First off, it's four pages wide. Secondly, they aren't pages, or even folded cardboard. Oh, no, it's made of hardcover book covers! The outside is covered with a cool, landscape picture of some poor saps taking on some Trolls (?) while a collection of Broos are about to join the fray. It's got the same sheen as the Monte Cook Arcana Unearthed books; that matte finish with some gloss parts.

The inside pages are glued in the same way the white page is glued into the inside cover on the RQ book.

And the folds between the pages are done just like the folds where a hardcover book cover folds open.

This is one tough screen It's built to last. :)

iamtim said:
First off, it's four pages wide. Secondly, they aren't pages, or even folded cardboard. Oh, no, it's made of hardcover book covers! The outside is covered with a cool, landscape picture of some poor saps taking on some Trolls (?) while a collection of Broos are about to join the fray. It's got the same sheen as the Monte Cook Arcana Unearthed books; that matte finish with some gloss parts.

It reminds me of that mapboard from the old AH board games, real sturdy stuff.

Secondly, they aren't pages, or even folded cardboard. Oh, no, it's made of hardcover book covers!

Actually, I might buy that. Never mind what game it's used for, that sounds cool. I still get fed up with my other screens just leaning over and crashing to the table whenever anyone sneezes... Bulletproof, that's what you need...

I haven't even opened mine yet... in fact I'm thinking of keeping it wrapped and fixing it to the wall as a shelf - it's more solid than most of my shelves are!

mthomason said:
I haven't even opened mine yet... in fact I'm thinking of keeping it wrapped and fixing it to the wall as a shelf - it's more solid than most of my shelves are!

Makes it more convenient to beat people with too, without a flap flopping out mid-swing...

Claymore Driftwood Pub said:
Makes it more convenient to beat people with too, without a flap flopping out mid-swing...

This is very true!

*watches this become the 101 uses for a RQ GM Screen thread*

- A replacement if Captain America's indestructible shield breaks

- Fold it out for an emergency shelter

- A portable police roadblock

Claymore Driftwood Pub said:

That's quite funny, one of the other gamers in my group said almost that exact thing.

"Dude, you could beat us with that when we get out of line..."

:)

Yes, easily the best and most potentially destructive screen I've encountered. What's more, the information on the inside is actually useful! What a suprise!

Well, it's big, has a nice picture on the front and more tables that I can read on the back. It also hides what the GM is doing from those nasty little players.

If I liked GM's Screens, I would like this a lot. I don't, but the tables could still be handy if I set it up alongside the gaming table so that I could read it as well as making eye contact with the players.

As a GM, I like to see what the players are doing, have a glass of orange juice near me, roll dice in plain view and not have any obvious secrets. GM's Screens make several of these difficult.

But, the RQM GM's Screen is one of the nicest I have seen.

I have to admit that the GM screen was possibly the tipping point that caused me to get the core rulebook. It is definitely one of the two best screens I've seen as far as construction goes, and it seems that the only thing missing off of it that would have been nice to have is the grapple table. They could have moved the credits and copyright info to the outside of the screen and fit that in there, but there's always something left off.

Kudos to whoever made the decision to go with this style of production!

So if the tables for Dodge and Parry in the RuneQuest corebook are wrong, are they wrong on the screen? Are they even on the screen?

Back