Gallery Posts <Post Your Pics Here!>

The paintwork is neat as always and the coloured metallic certainly works well. Presumably the Altarian is for when you play Babylon 5 Wars. ;)

Some screenshots of Vorchans look almost metallic due to lighting - I wonder how one would look with a genuine scheme of gold, silver and metallic purple...

@ DB & AdrianH - many thanks for your comments.

@ AdrianH - Re B5 Wars, long time since I "experienced" that, not sure "play" really covers it :lol: However who knows there may be, or even will be at some point, some CTA stats for a Gaim Altarian 8)

Re metallic purple Vorchans; Very interesting idea and purely as coincidence it just so happens that I have some metallic purple and at least 4 spare Vorchans, (earmarked to be assembled as Shadow Vorchans). Metallic purple with some shadow paneling would look very good. On the downside, given the current, (& impending), constraints of my WIP pile it may be some time tho before their maiden voyage tho.

I wasn't thinking of a Shadow-modified Vorchan, but shots like this. In that shot the central hull could be grey or silver, and the fins' purple could be semi-gloss or metallic. The same could easily apply to an Altarian. ;)

AdrianH said:
I wasn't thinking of a Shadow-modified Vorchan, but shots like this. In that shot the central hull could be grey or silver, and the fins' purple could be semi-gloss or metallic. The same could easily apply to an Altarian. ;)

Agreed Shadow Vorchan is all my spin :D

Have got around to painting the Viktoria mini in metallic blue and the difference over the flat blue I had done before was very noticeable would expect the same on a Vorchan, certainly very much worth a go.

Hi guys,

today I had a free day, and there was a possibility of getting a chance to take part in a painting workshop at my local gaming store, so... I took my G'Quan and this is what came out of it. :)

I am actually quite happy about it (this being my first painting job), even that it is not yet finished... I would like to make the steel look a bit more worn down and also add contours to all the camouflage on the wings... I did start doing it but did not like the thickness of the lines and did not have a thiner brush. So... work in progress. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2152_small.jpg
    IMG_2152_small.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 25,280
Thanks! :D

Here are some pictures from the process:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110203474888990133430/albums/5779573217660672625?authkey=CLzD9-OepczTjAE

Haven't got time to photograph them more properly. So here goes:

CameraZOOM-20120828104015664.jpg

Special thanks to Dave Robotham (Court jester) for the super friendly Minbari painting guide; Hugh Paton (McKickaha) and Hagen Bauersachs (Abbot Amourry) for great tips on highlights and detailing; and Adrian Walters (Old Bear) for inspiration :D

I agree, that's a superb job on the striping and shading.

Did you get two bow prongs with each Sharlin model, or do you have some more that are now missing that part? I only got one with mine. Also, the nearest Sharlin appears to have another prong sticking out of the side - is it meant to be a Sharoos?

I recently acquired three second-hand freighters. One was soon dismantled, thoroughly! The cargo pallets were cut from the base plate into four separate pairs, one of which was further separated into single pallets. The hull was also separated into its components.

And then I stuck some of the parts back together differently. A single pallet on top of a double with the bridge connected via a bit of scratch-building produced this little fellow:
saturn_c3.jpg

B5Scrolls calls it the Saturn C3 Hauler. It appeared several times as part of routine traffic, as well as during season 4 apparently bringing refugees from the Vorlon Planet Killer.

Of course, to build the second one I needed a second bridge. This was not a problem - for what I have in mind for the other two freighters, one of them won't be needing its bridge...

No, you're not seeing double, and it's not Photoshop trickery. ;) The Saturn C-16 appeared in season 5 and "Crusade" and is a double-length version of the standard freighter (which B5 Scrolls calls the Saturn C-8).

For the model, one freighter lost its engine and another lost its bridge (which duly went onto the front of the second Saturn-C3). To connect the two hulls I needed the same block which appears midway along the hull of a single freighter, which came from the now redundant hull of the freighter whose cargo pallets and bridge went to the C-3. One 8-pallet piece was cut into two 4-pallet parts, one of which went to each end of the model. The remaining 8-pallet unit went into the middle, supporting the hull joint to make the model stronger as well as providing a mounting point for the base.

saturn_c16.jpg

Great cutting and shutting there AdrianH, certainly makes me want to make some C-3's myself. Don't actually recall noticing the C-16. But I guess I must have it on DVD.

@M1ndr1d3rs - Bit late but just noticed your post, :?

Fantastic work on your Minbari and great to see you are still "in the game"

McKickaha said:
Great cutting and shutting there AdrianH, certainly makes me want to make some C-3's myself. Don't actually recall noticing the C-16. But I guess I must have it on DVD.
B5 Scrolls lists the first appearance of the C-16 as "Sometime in Season 5 of Babylon 5". I haven't spotted one yet, though I'm only part way through re-watching Season 5. But B5 Scrolls has a screenshot of the C-16 from the "Crusade" episode "Ruling From The Tomb", so it does exist. :)

The C-3 was the main object of the exercise, being the more interesting looking freighter variant (to me, anyway). Building just one would have left me with a lot of leftovers. Turning two more freighters into a C-16 freed up a bridge to use for a second C-3 as well as using part of a spare hull, meaning all that remains of the freighter which donated its cargo pallets to the C-3s is an engine and the cylindrical parts of the hull. And I have an idea for a scratch-build which could use up a couple of those cylinders if I ever get round to it...

AdrianH said:
No, you're not seeing double, and it's not Photoshop trickery. ;) The Saturn C-16 appeared in season 5 and "Crusade" and is a double-length version of the standard freighter (which B5 Scrolls calls the Saturn C-8).

For the model, one freighter lost its engine and another lost its bridge (which duly went onto the front of the second Saturn-C3). To connect the two hulls I needed the same block which appears midway along the hull of a single freighter, which came from the now redundant hull of the freighter whose cargo pallets and bridge went to the C-3. One 8-pallet piece was cut into two 4-pallet parts, one of which went to each end of the model. The remaining 8-pallet unit went into the middle, supporting the hull joint to make the model stronger as well as providing a mounting point for the base.

great job.

M1ndr1d3rs said:
Haven't got time to photograph them more properly. So here goes:

CameraZOOM-20120828104015664.jpg

Special thanks to Dave Robotham (Court jester) for the super friendly Minbari painting guide; Hugh Paton (McKickaha) and Hagen Bauersachs (Abbot Amourry) for great tips on highlights and detailing; and Adrian Walters (Old Bear) for inspiration :D

great job on the minbari, and on painting them.

Most of them. :) I prefer acrylics where possible because they dry more quickly and the brush is easier to clean. But the cargo pallets on the freighters are enamel because I happened to have a suitable shade. Brands include Humbrol, Revell, Xtracolor and in extreme cases Citadel. (I needed gunmetal for the freighters' exhaust nozzles and bridge detail, and Games Workshop happened to be open late enough when I was in the area.)

Back