Friday on the History Channel

Chernobyl said:
I'll cover the remaining Iowa-class down in Suisan bay... 8)

Chern

Hah, and you started to kid me about thinking of handcuffs. :lol: Now there's a reason to be afraid! :shock: Show them what a broadside from an Iowa can do. Maybe they should see that movie you linked to...eh? :wink:

Sit them down with a DVD of "Under Seige" and then phone any ex navy cooks with dubious backgrounds to stand guard :)

I've never looked at a microwave oven the same after watching that film :D

DM said:
Sit them down with a DVD of "Under Seige" and then phone any ex navy cooks with dubious backgrounds to stand guard :)

I've never looked at a microwave oven the same after watching that film :D

Have you seen Chern's movie link yet? As the younger generation says today, it's Da Bomb (where do they get these phrases; that's just "weird" I say lol).

BuShips said:
DM said:
Hey James Cameron, if you ever read this, take me on an "Expedition Musashi", OK???

Ha, no chance of that, there's no mony in it. He's too busy milking the "Christ's Tomb" thing at the moment to worry about mere ships :D

My theory is that while the Musashi may be resting deep, it might be close to intact, unlike her sister ship. I'd REALLY like to see the Musashi through the viewports of a minisub. :D The cold water in that trench should keep the ship in good condition, as was how they found the Yorktown at Midway. I also think there are divers looking for the Fuso and Yamashiro at Surigao Straight. Those poor ships never had a chance. Talk about getting beat up in a dead-end alley :shock: .

Didn't they find the Musashi? I thought I read somewhere that she rested on the bottom belly up because she was so top heavy? Mind you I could be thinking of a number of other Japanesse ships that were top heavy.

Joe_Dracos said:
Didn't they find the Musashi? I thought I read somewhere that she rested on the bottom belly up because she was so top heavy? Mind you I could be thinking of a number of other Japanesse ships that were top heavy.

You might be thinking of (guessing here) the Kirishima, at Ironbotton Sound. National Geographic plus Ballard discovered her bottom-up. Here is a site that has some info on Japanese wrecks that have been discovered. It would be one of the biggest goals of mine to get invited on one of these searches. Ah, but to dream... :wink:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/atully08.htm

BuShips said:
Jellicoe can guard the Belfast, so that's covered. All right, who's next? :lol:

So true, I can almost see it down the river from where i work sometimes. Its a nice ship, but cannot hide the fact that for all its maritime tradition it is a scandal that not a single British battleship was preserved as a historic relic.

As an aside the Naval Wargames Society is running an event on board HMS Belfastr on June 2nd and 3rd, which will include the NWS AGM on the Saturday night. This includes an opportunity for those members who wish to attend the AGM and stay over for the games on the next day to sleep on board (which must be reason enough to join the NWS, just so you can come to the AGM and kip on the ship :) )

BuShips said:
Joe_Dracos said:

You might be thinking of (guessing here) the Kirishima, at Ironbotton Sound. National Geographic plus Ballard discovered her bottom-up. Here is a site that has some info on Japanese wrecks that have been discovered. It would be one of the biggest goals of mine to get invited on one of these searches. Ah, but to dream... :wink:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/atully08.htm

Your right, thats what I'm thinking of.

BuShips said:
...unless it's important enough to construct "clean" smelters made especially for the purpose :wink:.

:lol:
I had exactly the same thought.... but where do you get the uncomtaminated metal to make the clean smelters?

Vicious circle...... :?

Fitzwalrus said:
BuShips said:
...unless it's important enough to construct "clean" smelters made especially for the purpose :wink:.

I had exactly the same thought.... but where do you get the uncomtaminated metal to make the clean smelters?

Tell NASA. They need all the reasons they can get to go to Mars. :wink:

Chernobyl said:
Under Siege...

I guess I'm going to have to watch that again (any excuse to see Erika again, lol). The main visual difference between the Alabama and an Iowa would be the double stacks. There are other differences, but that's a big one. I'm sure the distant shots were of an Iowa with two stacks. BTW, wasn't the ship name used in the movie supposed to be the Missouri? Um, don't answer that, as I need another reason to watch Eri... er the movie again. :wink:

BuShips said:
Fitzwalrus said:
BuShips said:

Oh, there's an economically feasible alternative!! :lol: :lol:

I like the Mars angle personally, but I'm sure at least one government bean-counter would make the point that it would be cheaper to raise every known WWII wreck instead..... :roll:

Fitzwalrus said:
BuShips said:
Fitzwalrus said:

Oh, there's an economically feasible alternative!! :lol: :lol:

I like the Mars angle personally, but I'm sure at least one government bean-counter would make the point that it would be cheaper to raise every known WWII wreck instead..... :roll:

I don't think you entirely see my irony. I wasn't going to bring the metal back from Mars, you see. I was going to ship the scientists to Mars! :lol:

Let alone non-radioactive steel . . . .

As I've gotten more and more into this and I've learned just how much steel was used in ships that were sunk during WWII, it just makes me wonder when we will run out of any new iron ore at all and have to start recycling everything!

Back