Fleets?

Shloaksta

Mongoose
I see that Fleets of the fading suns was once again pushed back to May. Sigh...
Is there any reasonable time frame we can expect this?
If not can we get some "new" news on anything Noble Armada? Its been since September of 2011 that we last heard or saw anything new on NA, and the new and expanded rules keep being pushed back.

So far I see a ton of responses to anything having to do with SF, but very little concerning Noble Armada. It has a few of us very worried that NA just isn't going to be supported anymore.

You will soon have a fair boatload of new material for Noble Armada - the last few new models are being worked on right now...

There will indeed be, as soon as I have some sexy painted models in my hand, along with a full run down on their capabilities!

Can't wait to see more previews of fleets. I like Star Trek, and I'm not surprised it is overshadowing Noble Armada, but Fading Suns is definitely my game of choice.

Hay guys I totally feel ya. I too have been concerned that SF will out shadow NA and then I remember that I, personally, have waiting for YEARS for new minis for NA. With everything that Mongoose has done for the game. I'm definitely willing to wait for the new rules and minis. Before Mongoose got a hold of NA, the last set of minis that they produced for NA was in 2003. I'm certainly chomping at the bit to see the new stuff, but I have faith in the guys and still get excited when I see it pushed back because I know we get to see it soon. Just my 2 cents.

Is there any news concerning Fleets being released next month...is it still on schedule?
Are any of your other games going to push fleets back even farther?
Every other game has had more posts then NA and NA has been pushed back almost a full year without any word from Mongoose. Not even on Rule clarifications or errata.

Also my friends and and I have played two separate campaigns and in both cases we have been stomped by the Li Halan. I know we brought this up in another forum and despite what people say about dice and odds, the Li Halan still seem way overpowered compared to the other fleets.

The Li Halan have a 75% chance of clearing us off the board before the third turn. We believe the Li Halan need to have their speed reduced and their range on the weapons reduced OR reduce the amount of weapons they have. Currently they have Huge range and all accurate weapons with the precise trait. A 1 and 3 chance to crit with all their weapons every time from that distance is OP compared to the other fleets except hawkwood.

How are you playing them? We have found Li Halan to be a pokey fleet, sure, but by no means dominant. In fact, sitting in our cabinet, there is a nice, shiney Li Halan cruiser now in Hazat colours, a trophy from the last campaign we played here.

Don't get into a situation where you trade long-ranged fire with a Li Halan fleet, as that is very much their game. Force them to split their fire arcs, and get in close. If every one of their ships can cover your entire fleet in their broadsides, they will pick you off one by one, which sounds like what is happening.

Personally I find the Li Halan's speed a disadvantage. After a couple of turn's their fleet is seriously out of position. And asteroid fields are a big pain to avoid.

As a Li-Halan player I shall say this: if you allow me to play range games then of course the game is going to be challenging for you. However, if you utilise terrain to your advantage, then it very quickly changes.

Play to the strengths of your fleet, and use the terrain and scenario conditions to your advantage.

Hal.

Well a Big issue is speed. He is also able to bring more ships to the battle and he always focuses his entire fleet on one ship. Did I also mention he is extremely lucky with the rolls. Nearly every die rolled results in a hit, and a critical.

We have tried using terrain and other tactics to get in close and grapple...but once that happens he targets that ship with his whole fleet and destroys it before they can board. And closing the blast doors and a whole slew of other tactics, nothing works. At this point I am not sure as to if we are playing the game wrong or if the rules just cant handle the way he plays the Li-Halan with his unholy die rolls. ( we have forced him to use other dice...doesn't matter) Needless to say it is a very frustrating situation.

Really the only games he ever had a chance at losing are in small games ( 500 or less). They were very narrow victories and only against Hawkwood.

Nearly every die rolled results in a hit, and a critical.

Yes, well. There is a certain level of spawny-lucky-git-ness that no amount of tactical skill can overcome. We have a player like that up here... and several that are the other way around. It's remarkable that I know nobody who actually passes about 1/3 of their 3+ saves; it's always either about half that or about twice that!

Just be glad they have a raider, not a scout...

We have tried using terrain and other tactics to get in close and grapple...but once that happens he targets that ship with his whole fleet and destroys it before they can board.

Exactly as you should do. The only advice I can give from my experience vs the God Squad is not to give him one target. My preferred fleet has been previously described as the Grimson-O-Rama and consists entirely of Kurgan galliots.

Now this is an extreme case, but the point is that when facing Li Halan, you cannot engage them in a broadside-to-broadside duel. They have more lasers than a DVD machine factory and they will rip you apart in a standoff fight; the only people with the guns to consider this are Decados at close(ish) quarters. If you're going to close and board, try it with your full fleet. Try to launch multiple boarding actions simultaneously.

One other possibility; consider bomber attacks and (with the new rules coming soon) raiders; one unusual weakness of the God Squad is that their destroyer lacks both manouvrability and turret-mounted guns; this can become a problem once something quick and manouvrable gets in amongst the lines.

Much to our dislike...his luck with dice rolls also work on refits. Most of his raiders have scout, as well as some destroyers, frigates and I think a grand cruiser. This is also in addition to additional weapon systems.

Exactly as you should do. The only advice I can give from my experience vs the God Squad is not to give him one target. My preferred fleet has been previously described as the Grimson-O-Rama and consists entirely of Kurgan galliots.

Once again we are playing a campaign the fleets are fixed. And It would not matter anyway, he only focuses on max 2 ships. And if you look like you will try and grapple then that ship will be destroyed. Its very odd...really. I did not think any person could have this much luck with dice rolls, but in reality when he rolls the dice most of them end up in the 5-6 range ships tend to be crippled or near crippled after just 1 round.

Now this is an extreme case, but the point is that when facing Li Halan, you cannot engage them in a broadside-to-broadside duel. They have more lasers than a DVD machine factory and they will rip you apart in a standoff fight; the only people with the guns to consider this are Decados at close(ish) quarters. If you're going to close and board, try it with your full fleet. Try to launch multiple boarding actions simultaneously.

Due to the fact that most of his ships are faster and he usually ends up winning initiative ( thanks in part to the scout trait) and forcing us to move first...staying out of his broadsides and surviving past turn 3 is rare. Yes it would be nice if we had more ships then he, BUT he always is able to bring more. By campaign turn 3 or 4 he not only has more experienced ships, but a much larger fleet with vast amounts of RR saved up to replace any lost ships.

I am positive its a combination of his lucky rolls, and the campaign factor. We might give one more campaign a try and not even bother wasting RR on any ship larger then a destroyer and see how that goes. Not very fun in our opinion though( we think having big ships is more fun).

Shloaksta said:

Much to our dislike...his luck with dice rolls also work on refits. Most of his raiders have scout, as well as some destroyers, frigates and I think a grand cruiser. This is also in addition to additional weapon systems.

Either you guys have biassed memory regarding his lucky rolls or he's altering dice rolls somehow to his favour...

I am positive its a combination of his lucky rolls, and the campaign factor. We might give one more campaign a try and not even bother wasting RR on any ship larger then a destroyer and see how that goes. Not very fun in our opinion though( we think having big ships is more fun).

Once campaigns reach a certain tipping point then yes, there's not a lot you can do. At this point, generally either declare he's won, or else gang up on him (remember that each ship can only fight one engagement per campaign turn, so unless he outnumbers your forces combined he's going to have problems...). This is Fading Suns, after all - the correct solution to your problems is political backstabbing!

ships tend to be crippled or near crippled after just 1 round.
Oh, that's a given against anyone. Any ship sub cruiser-weight that comes under fire will generally be wrecked in one turn, because anyone with any sense will keep hitting it until it dies rather than have to face punching through shields again next turn.

The key thing is launching three or four boarding actions at once. That's much more a fleet-specific thing, though - if you focus on bigger ships, and he has mostly Dragon-class destroyers, he has the manouvre advantage and you have fewer ships to try and engage him with.

What fleets (roughly) have each of you got?

Code:
when he rolls the dice most of them end up in the 5-6 range
Ouch. That verges on the ridiculous level. All I can suggest is borrowing his dice and hoping it rubs off...

What fleets (roughly) have each of you got?

Decados, Hawkwood, Hazat, and Kurgan. We usually play a 3000-3500 point campaign.

Ouch. That verges on the ridiculous level. All I can suggest is borrowing his dice and hoping it rubs off..

We have literally 100 different D6's. We have made him try every one of them, and made him roll differently, and even the surface he rolls on...the guy needs to go to Vegas I swear lol.

Right now we have capped battles in the campaign to 1500 points, and Hazat are the only fleet left with any ships left to do anything. Next time we play we are actually going to nerf them ourselves to make them a little more in line with the other fleets...assuming he picks them again.
We will be attempting something similar with the kurgan as well.

Back