Firearms proficiencies in OGL Wild West

Allensh

Mongoose
I am curious about the thinking behind dividing many of the firearms in OGL Wild West into "simple" and "martial" categories. I have no problem with some firearms being Exotic, but I find it hard to see why a person would be worse with a "martial" .45 revolver than a "simple" one, being as they function identically. Seems like an unneccesary complication in an otherwise excellent game. (I can see why there are separate proficiencies for sidearms and longarms, although I also understand why sidewinder Recoiled, for example, lumped them all into one feat for simplicity).

Solutions I have considered:

1. Give any character who chooses the Gunslinger vocation Martial Sidearms Proficiency as a bonus feat choice for their class (not a free bonus feat per se; this would mean I'd have nothing but Gunfighters), and give those who choose Trooper the same option but with Martial Longarms.

2. Drop the distinction between simple and martial and just let people have Sidearms Proficiency or Longarms Proficiency.

3. Go with Personal Firearms Proficiency ala Sidewinder and forego the OGL WW versions completely (with Exotic Firearms Proficiency for those odd weapons).

I am normally adverse to house rules, but in this case I think it might be neccesary.

Comments are welcome.

Allen

Allen

I would tend to agree with you. Some of the distinctions seem a bit silly. I also have some serious problems with the reload times listed. I am thinking of tossing out the gun stats as given and coming up with a new selection of guns correcting the reload times and eliminating those simple/martial distinctions.

In comparing OGL Wild West to Sidewinder Recoiled (and I will go on record here as saying that both are excellent products that approach their subject somewhat differently, but complement each other in many ways), I have noticed that among the pistol stats that are common to both books, WW's range increments seem to be half of those in SR. Kinda interesting.

Allen

Allensh said:
other in many ways), I have noticed that among the pistol stats that are common to both books, WW's range increments seem to be half of those in SR. Kinda interesting.

I totally agree and have been using both systems mingled. Didn't like the weapon profs for OGL Wild West or the strange way their gun stats are, even bought another WW RPG off RPGnow to compare guns and pictures and whatnot....checked out some real books on firearms too.

I like OGL WW for PC creation and general rules, but used Sidewinder more for guns and gambling and a few other bits (like I'm using Fort Griffin setting for my OGL game).

Deathdealer said:
I would tend to agree with you. Some of the distinctions seem a bit silly. I also have some serious problems with the reload times listed. I am thinking of tossing out the gun stats as given and coming up with a new selection of guns correcting the reload times and eliminating those simple/martial distinctions.

Actually for most of the reload times are pretty close, with the exception of the muzzle loaders.

The Springfield Carbine is a great example, at LBH the 7th Cav were armed with Springfield Cabines, they had to be reloaded after every shot from the breach using a "raise door" method, in which after one fired one had to unlock and raise the entire back of the chamber, another level ejected the cartridge, and then one had to slide another cartridge into the chamber/barrel. According to historical evidence this process could only be repeated at best at 4 times a minute. Whereas the Winchester could fire off close to 18 shots a minute, and that was in battle not on a range.

the reload times are pretty close

Punching six empties out of the cylinder of a Peacemaker, one at a time, and then putting in six bullets, again one at a time, in six seconds would be something to see.

Maybe with the Quick Reload feat.

murte said:
Actually for most of the reload times are pretty close, with the exception of the muzzle loaders.

As another poster as already pointed out, loading a Peacemaker is going to take more than a round. I would probably go with unloading/reloading one chamber each round.

The reloading times for muzzle loaders, on the other hand, are broken. There is no way that a 1858 can be fully reloaded in one round while it takes three rounds to reload a longarm.

Hi,
I used the times out of 'Once upon a time in the West' with Dexterity to give a mod. Even that game admits to faster than real times. Percusson pistols for average dex. have about 4 turns to replace the preloaded cylinder or 2 turns per round in an empty cylinder.

Regards
Allan

I don't own Wild West but am considering it, I also like Sidewinder, so I am not sure which way I'll go yet. As for the reload times, most of them are more reasonable than you might think. Let's take the muzzle loaded long arm. If you don't know jack about them, it'd take longer than stated, but if you are proficient in one you can shoot about 2 rounds a minute if ypu prepare your equipment like they used to. Some one who is really good at them can reload even faster. The standard for the military was 3 rounds a minute, which is about right if you have rapid reload.

The blackpowder sixshooter was a little different, you could have a prepared cylinder which would take about 10-12 seconds for a competent shooter to swap. The other option would be a full reload, while that it would seem to take a very long time, you don't load round individually. You begin with the powder, pouring it into each section, followed up with paper and ball, then you stamp them, and finally add your caps. So 4-6 fullround actions is about right.

For a cartrige sixshooter, I think 1 to 2 fullround actions accurate.

If you want a little more realism, double load times for non-proficient users, it makes sense and will be how I handle reloading.

Back