Firearms on the Station

ShadowScout said:
However, we know that E-Mines are 150MT(AOG), and they're an area anti-fighter weapon.
And we also "know" that a mere two megatons are enough to kill a sharlin (In the Beginning; OK, so one 2MT to vaporize a fin and a second to finish the Sharlin off).

I knew there was something at the back of my mind when I was trying to sleep last night about the 2 megatons and a Sharlin. And as usual not only has someone found it for me, they have put it better that I ever could! :D Much obliged ShadowScout!

Ghost Dancer - one epsiode we saw that was "Endgame" where the EF Marines were blasting their way in to get at the telepaths Sheridan had put on Clark's Omega fleet.

The Cheat - You are right about the door and the shotgun, but now imagine that same slug hitting a window or pressure pipe. The PPG would not penetrate but the slug would.

DW

Those being huge, solid metal storm doors 3 inches thick.
Solid? I don't really think so... most doors this days are not solid, but two hard surface layers and some filling - often even hollow space. Even safe doors are not solid - usually one thick, tough outer metal plate (how thick & tough depending on the safe's rating - from a few millimeters to several centimeters), then heat-resistant filling around the hollow spaces containing the locking bolts & mechanism and a thin metal rear side.
For B5 doors I would expect a thick outer layer (both sides - so they work well as pressure doors; and not neccessarily metal when advanced plastics or similar give good enough strangth at lower weight) and some nice filling - heat (and heat loss in case of cold vacuum on the other side after an accident) and radiation blocking (or PPG blasts blocking - remember the scene in "Point of no Return" when the nightwatch guys were trapped in the docking area? No easy blasting through - not with all doors), just in case.

BtW, another nice "take down the door" was in "Thirdspace" - IIRC Zack and his guys shot out the locking mechanism - the door itself was pretty much undamaged when security blasted their way through.
When the teeps in "A tragedy of Telepaths"/"Phoenix Rising" seal their sector, security has a lot more troubles getting through those doors - seems it gets much harder when there is no easy way to just shoot the locking mechanism...
Another scene of note is in "Conflict of Interests" when Garibaldi shoots out the vent cover. His PPG shots melt the screws that hold the cover in place, nothing more (and nice shooting by the way).

The Cheat said:
Admittedly, this is for Nials: http://www.babtech-onthe.net/minbari/fighters.html#firepower
12 Terawatts is 2.87 kilotons per second, and thats the absolute minimum required energy.

However, we know that E-Mines are 150MT(AOG), and they're an area anti-fighter weapon.

Not that I can follow the link, but sounds like bollocks to me. The Nials do not vapourise their targets. They cause them to fall apart and the internal power and fuel sources do the exploding bit...

ShadowScout said:
Those being huge, solid metal storm doors 3 inches thick.
*snip*
You forget Endgame. We've had numerous instances of them cutting through the entire door jam, and not just the bolts (which are very thick).
Not that I can follow the link, but sounds like bollocks to me. The Nials do not vapourise their targets. They cause them to fall apart and the internal power and fuel sources do the exploding bit...
And that applies to vaporizing asteroids how?[/quote]

The Cheat said:
And that applies to vaporizing asteroids how?

That we've never seen, especially if you're referring to the episode I think you are...

There are a hell of a lot of assumptions that are commonly made about asteroids, and they aren't necessarily correct.

The biggest one is that the rock has the same density as rocks do on Earth. That's pure bollocks as asteroids would, in general, not have that level of density the small ones particularly. If they had that level of density, they would have formed into planets and/or moons in general. Asteroids, are leftover material from planetary formation, the bits where there just wasn't enough to form anything worth while. At best you're talking pummace (SP?) stone density for most of these, and the force of a well placed stick of dynamite could blow most of these apart. If said asteroid also had a high hydrocarbon content and was hit by a low yield fusion weapon then you'd get a very spectacular explosion but the debris wouldn't be that dangerous...

Also repeat the matra of "Power is not Energy, Energy is not Power"...

Back