Finesse attacks with bows?

gonzofighter said:
You could say if they have the precise shot feat, they may make finesse type attacks with the bow.

Here's Precise Shot from the D&D 3.5 SRD:

PRECISE SHOT [GENERAL]
Prerequisite: Point Blank Shot.
Benefit: You can shoot or throw ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard –4 penalty on your attack roll.
Special: A fighter may select Precise Shot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Sounds pretty good place to add in finesse shots with bows to me, actually.

slaughterj said:
gonzofighter said:
You could say if they have the precise shot feat, they may make finesse type attacks with the bow.

Here's Precise Shot from the D&D 3.5 SRD:

PRECISE SHOT [GENERAL]
Prerequisite: Point Blank Shot.
Benefit: You can shoot or throw ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard –4 penalty on your attack roll.
Special: A fighter may select Precise Shot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Sounds pretty good place to add in finesse shots with bows to me, actually.

I think this could be a pretty powerful ability and should probably require a separate feat. Although, I agree that Precise Shot should be a prereq for it.

Mayhem said:
It speciically says you cannot. All ranged weapons use DEX, not STR, anyway.

So, in the Conan RPG, I can't attempt a finesse attack to throw a dagger in the eyeslit of the platemail-wearing knight?

I think either allowing for a Ranged Finesse attack the same way as Melee is fine (and how would that be a bad thing?), but otherwise can be added to a Feat (e.g. Precise Shot) or made a feat in and of itself.

I can easily see it using the standard Finesse rules for thrown weapons, since you'd sacrifice some sheer brawn power for a more accurate shot, but what about a bow? You draw the bow the same way each time, whether you're aiming specifically for a chink in the armor, or for center mass. You're going to get the Strength bonus either way, so why do anything but finesse?

That's the crux of the conundrum.

Johannixx said:
I can easily see it using the standard Finesse rules for thrown weapons, since you'd sacrifice some sheer brawn power for a more accurate shot, but what about a bow? You draw the bow the same way each time, whether you're aiming specifically for a chink in the armor, or for center mass. You're going to get the Strength bonus either way, so why do anything but finesse?

That's the crux of the conundrum.

Gotcha, but with the finesse, don't you sacrifice on AP if you don't exceed the DV?

slaughterj said:
Gotcha, but with the finesse, don't you sacrifice on AP if you don't exceed the DV?

Normally you lose your Str bonus to AP when Finesse attacking, but the weapon's base AP rating still applies. This is because you're concentrating more on finding a chink in the armor than on a mighty blow. With a bow, however, you get the same force regardless of aiming for a weak spot. You still draw the same weight, the same distance. The arrow is going to have the same amount of force behind it.

I think this could be a pretty powerful ability and should probably require a separate feat. Although, I agree that Precise Shot should be a prereq for it.

What about the feat I posted?

Ranged Finesse
You know how to aim your ranged attacks to hit your enemies where they are weakest.
Prerequisites: BAB 5+, Dex 15+, Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot
Benefit: You are able to make finesse attacks with ranged weapons per the rules on page 164 of the Conan RPG. You cannot however make ranged finesse attacks at a distance greater than 30 feet.
Normal: Ranged finesse attacks are not allowed.
Special: A soldier or nomad may select this feat as one of his bonus feats.

My only problem with that feat is that a Soldier can get it at 1st level. I think the kind of thing we are trying to model here is, as someone said, Legolas' talent with a bow. But Legolas was clearly not only talented but experienced. I would add a BAB prereq as well, depending on how early you want your characters to have access.

Yes, and think about letting Nomads get it. :)

One thing I'd suggest is allowing bodkin type arrows with much better AP than standard, though reduced damage. A longbow with an AP arrow should be able to penetrate non-Akbitanan plate within at least the first range increment, though not at long ranges.

Perhaps a BAB 5+ requirement. I think it's the perfect solution. Feats are there to override a rule or lack thereof. I'm always in favor of using a feat to change a system instead of houseruling a change to the system.

My only complaint is that I didn't think of it.

I think allowing all characters w precise shot to make a finesse ranged attack as a full round action would allow low-level sniping attacks, I wouldn't want to restrict it to high level characters.

Johannixx said:
Honestly, I'd only add one thing: Let Nomads take it as a bonus feat as well as Soldiers, and it's golden.

That'd be fine. I didn't realize Nomads had a set list of bonus feats.

BhilJhoanz said:
Perhaps a BAB 5+ requirement. I think it's the perfect solution. Feats are there to override a rule or lack thereof. I'm always in favor of using a feat to change a system instead of houseruling a change to the system.

My only complaint is that I didn't think of it.

I'll go back and edit my posts. BAB 5+ sounds just right.

You can't think up all the feats... :wink:

S'mon said:
I think allowing all characters w precise shot to make a finesse ranged attack as a full round action would allow low-level sniping attacks, I wouldn't want to restrict it to high level characters.

Yeah, but having a cost of Full Round Action isn't enough. The penalty is not great enough and all that character has to sacrifice is his move action.

Fyrestryke said:
S'mon said:

Yeah, but having a cost of Full Round Action isn't enough. The penalty is not great enough and all that character has to sacrifice is his move action.

I dunno, it seems like the Conan RPG rather overpowers armour and underpowers bows, at least relative to genre conventions. Armour should be useful compared to no-armour, but the rules make it too good, and finessing is a way around that.

Johannixx said:
I can easily see it using the standard Finesse rules for thrown weapons, since you'd sacrifice some sheer brawn power for a more accurate shot,

Just thinking again on this, you already use DEX for Thrown weapons, and use the STR mod for adjusting damage, so it seems that perhaps Finesse for thrown weapons shouldn't be standard?

Back