Field Catalogue - are there plans for a 202X update?

My group had me use the designer to make one of the guys a KelTec KSG dual tube selectable shotgun. The player was happy with the results.
Never used it again.

It's both interesting, and disappointing.

Like Schrodinger's Cat.
I'd be happy with something that starts out with a description of what mercs do and what the various kinds are, including what kinds of equipment, vehicles and ships they're likely to have.

We do have an actual real life example, for a large scale deployment.

Smaller ones around Africa.

It really does tend to come down to cost benefit, trying to leverage experience, and usually better equipment.

At the other end of the stick, you may end up holding it, and various inducements to get you to sign on, and an employer not too keen to pay out that success bonus.

If it gets attritional and long enough, equipment becomes cheaper, but maybe also reliable, since you know what works.

Everyone will try to get advanced combat rifles, assault rifles being a rather desperate measure, which did come up in a description of a mercenary outfit in GURPS.

In Frederik Forsyth's Day of the Jackal, the main protagonist commissions a master gunsmith to build him a special suppressed sniper rifle of extreme slimness with a small supply of mercury-tipped explosive bullets. Anatomy of a plot | Wikipedia. Loved this idea and would buy the FC if it allowed players to dream up similar, and if the FC feedback was not so negative from the MgT user community.

Last edited:
I'd be happy with something that starts out with a description of what mercs do and what the various kinds are, including what kinds of equipment, vehicles and ships they're likely to have.
The Specialty Forces book kind of has that. It talks about what different types of unit specializations (anti air, anti armor, special forces, etc) are and what gear a merc unit need to have to truthfully apply that label to themselves.

The Specialty Forces book kind of has that. It talks about what different types of unit specializations (anti air, anti armor, special forces, etc) are and what gear a merc unit need to have to truthfully apply that label to themselves.
Is this book useful for running Traveller, or it is only support for Mercenary spinoff?

Yeah, Specialty Forces is really the only thing from the Mercenary line that I ever reference. It's not like essential or anything, but it has interesting info, as Limpin Legin says.

Back