Favoured format for Traveller books?

What is your favoured format for Traveller books?

• Standard 8.5x11" Hardback

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pocket size 6x9" Softback

• Standard 8.5x11" Softback

• Pocket size 6x9" Hardback

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • E-book

• Other/Mix/Don't care

• Total voters
I prefer e-books, take a laptop of the game its much easier than having to flick through a book to find the relevant info, I use npc character records in open office docs - the only paper I use is character sheets for pcs.

I also prefer e-books, but I prefer them formatted for 5x8, as that allows me to use Adobe Reader to print booklets of the pages I need.

AKAramis said:
I also prefer e-books, but I prefer them formatted for 5x8, as that allows me to use Adobe Reader to print booklets of the pages I need.

See, now that is the best of both worlds right there.

Electronic Digest.... My new favorite size.....

zozotroll said:
Big books. Hard is better, soft is OK.

See I don't get this, A big book is harder to manage in the tub. More difficult to mange when you need to reference two different sections at the same time. Heavier, harder to recycle with a edition change, more expensive to produce in the 1st place.

Sorry could go on for days.

I love to read, but I am not a bibliophil. So I want something that is easy to use.

The thing is, I find real books easier to use. And drop that laptop in the tub one time and you may change your mind.

E-books are fine, sure, but I also like to have a bound copy as well and I prefer hardcover to softcover. I love the stiff durability of casebound books. Paperback gamebooks in my collection are all too floppy for my tastes. The size of the book is not as important to me, but the 8.5 x 11 format would set better alongside my other gamebooks.

zozotroll said:
The thing is, I find real books easier to use. And drop that laptop in the tub one time and you may change your mind.

Or, y'know, just don't read books in the bath at all. ;)

Often online docs are still formated for print (narrow and long - page format) and not a computer display (short and wider - landscape format).

Without a 20+ inch wide screen monitor (hold a 8.5x11 book open and put it up against your monitor) or, in my case, a dual monitor setup, you get more information at once with a book than on the computer. The constant scrolling and "page turning" with a mouse can be annoying for straight through reads.

My laptop has a tiny low quality display (13" 800x600 max). For me and others with no laptop or an inadequate one I am stuck in front of the computer and can't read in the tub, in a comfy chair, in the hammock, or anywhere else - including the gaming table.

The result, for me, is that a book is more practical for actual gaming and straight through reading. An online doc is nice sometimes for a quick lookup but once I'm familiar with the book I could find something in it before the computer even boots up.

zozotroll said:

That's what printers, ring notebooks, and page protectors are for... Oh, and a strip of scotch tape will seal a page protector. Almost spill-proof, and with the right notebook, very much like hardback

Yes, electronic digest is the most flexible. Have a player with vision issues, print it on 8.5x11 with expand to fit sheet checked, 1 page per page...

Also, works better on e-book readers.

CosmicGamer said:
Without a 20+ inch wide screen monitor (hold a 8.5x11 book open and put it up against your monitor)

See, another reason for Digest......

CosmicGamer said:
My laptop has a tiny low quality display (13" 800x600 max). For me and others with no laptop or an inadequate one I am stuck in front of the computer and can't read in the tub, in a comfy chair, in the hammock, or anywhere else - including the gaming table.

See with a digest sized PDF, you can print for poratbility...

I understand the whole dinky laptop screen problem. Though My iBook was much better than my picturebook (1024 x 440 screen).

As for at the table I still prefer a smaller book.

In this topic, I find that the current trend towards omnibus editions of games with all the rules in one main rule book to be a royal pain. I prefer to be able to haul along to game just what I need in the smallest useable package. Over the years I have found my self building campaign specific books that have just what I need at the table and no more. This is much more feasible with electronic documents and to a lesser extant digest sized publications.

I'm using a sony PRS-505 ebook reader as a gaming accessory...

The screen (3.5x4.5, roughly) displays a 6x8 marginally (WWG MET books), a 5.5x8.5 fairly well (Jihad from Burning Wheel), and 8.5x11 really small OR by the half-page.

(within that limit, however, the 5.5x8.5 pages of Jihad can be rotated to show the half-page at jst shy of full size.)

A4 or 8x11 hardcover - all the way. One thing that I detested about CT was the LBBs. Colour covers, nicely done illos is the way to go. Don't go overboard with the art like Conan but it seems like MGT is just perfect minus the characters as noted before...Spinward Marches is perfect.

Back