Favored Weapons

Here's something I'd like to see changed about the Conan RPG (and something I miss about the AD&D game): Weapon Proficiency.

I understand that the game should be fairly lenient on what weapons a character can use proficiently to fit the universe (and realism--AD&D is a bit tough and unrealistic in this area) But, I also think that the Conan game is a bit too lenient.

I also think that weapon choice should be a function of race as well as class.

For example, a 1st level Cimmerian Barbarian probably shouldn't start the game knowing how to use crossbows. And, I think only Simple bows should be allowed at that level (Martial bows would incur the -4 attack penalty if used).

A line like this could easily be added to the Races chapter of the game where the racial benefits are listed. It might read something like this: Favored Weapons - All Simple weapons except the Yuetshi Knife and all Martial Weapons except the Ghanata Knife, Poniard, Short Sword, Cutlass, Zhaibar Knife, any type of Lance, Bardiche, Bill, Pike, Pollaxe, or any type of Martial ranged weapon.

Favored weapons would be those that can be chosen, as 1st level, as a proficient weapon. A 1st level character could not start the game being proficient with a non-favored weapon (unless allowed by the GM, of course).

Then, I think the number of weapons allowed a character should be limited. Don't give the character the entire selection of weapons to choose from--let him pick from the list.

This should be a function of class and level (as well as race, but that's taken care of above).

Thus, maybe characters can only be proficient with a number of weapons equal to their level in each category. Thus, a player for a 1st level Soldier character would pick one Martial Weapon and one Simple weapon with which to be proficient.

If that seems a bit strict, then allow them to pick additional weapons equal to their INT modifier (thus, Soldiers with INT 12 or 13 coule pick one additonal weapon from either the Simple or Martial category).

If that still seems a bit strict, then give each character a minimum. A 1st level Thief classed characters might get a minimum of one Simple and one Martial weapon, regardless of their INT penalty. A 1st level Scholar would get a single Simple weapon to choose from (plus his INT bonus). A Soldier might get a minimum of 3 Martial Weapons and 2 Simple weapons, plus any INT bonus.

And, the Versitility ability that he Cimmerians get would double this number.

When a character levels, he gets to pick one new weapon proficiency from each of the allowed categories. So, by 2nd level, a Soldier could pick 4 Martial weapons and 3 Simple weapons, plus INT bonus, while a Barbarian would pick 4 Martial weapons and 4 Simple weapons plus any INT bonus.

If you multiclass, you gain the most advantageous proficiency option.

Some GMs hooked on realism may not allow new proficiencies unless the character uses and trains with the new weapons.

At 2nd level and beyond, the character can choose to spend two proficiency slots to be able to use non-favored weapons (thus, a character can get to them by spending two slots--like a cross class skill--or by multiclassing and making the weapon a favored weapon of his new class).

These numbers that I've been spouting off here are just what's rolling off my fingers as I type. They'd have to be reviewed, with a lot more thought put behind the numbers, should a system like this blossom.

What I like about the idea, though, is that it limits the character's choices of weapon more than the vanilla game while still provinding a decent sized selection that expands as the character gets more experienced.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking a system like this, worked out well, might make a damn good S&P article.

Thinking a little more on this...Maybe you just have a flat number of proficiencies based on class. Race is used to determine the Favored Weapon choices. Versitility would double your number of allowed weapons (at 1st level only). INT bonus is used to give smart people more weapons. And, at each level you increase, you gain an additional weapon in each allowed category.

Barbarian = 3 (6 with Versitility)
Borderer = 3
Nomad = 3

Scholar = 1
Soldier = 4
Noble = 2

Temptress = 1
Thief = 2
Pirate = 2

Thus, a Thief could pick 2 weapons from the Simple or Martial categories, subject to his race's favored weapons. If he's got an INT bonus, he could pick more weapons.

Other perks could be written into these rules. For example, maybe it is Soldiers, only, that can be trained to use the Bill or Pike. Other character classes desiring this must gain proficiency by spending two slots on the weapon (or through racial favored weapons, as the Bill or Pike could be favored weapons for Gundermen).

EDIT: Something like this may make the Sling a little more prominent among the people who would use it as is being discussed in the sling thread.

Even more thinking on this (brainstorming)...

I think "proficiency" should be tied to the action used to fight with the weapon--not with the specific weapon. Why? Because if you can fight well with a club, you can fight well with a axe and with a mace, too. They all use the same type of chopping action.

A bill uses the same thrusting action as a war spear.

If we look at it this way, the way the vanilla game does it is fine--because there are only so many ways to wield a weapon. A few. So, a character would learn them quickly--probably all of them by 2nd level. Which makes it not necessary to get more crunchy than what the vanilla game already does.

Well, folks, there you go! A complete turn-around!

I told you I was just thinking out loud! :?

I do miss the AD&D pick-a-weapon thing, though.

my only gripe with the ADnD proficiency concept is that there are certain weapons any fool could be proficient at; the crossbow being one of them.
The crossbow was a simpleton's weapon, historically.
Sure there were the famous genoese crossbowman with their Pavise shields, who made a pretty penny, but back in the day, the crossbow was the distance weapon your granny could learn in 5 minutes; mainly aim, point, and fire, then re-pull tension (granny would have a tougher time with this, sure).

The ADnD concept of being proficient in a long sword, but being a complete dunce in a similar sword (say the broadsword) never made sense to me. I like the concept of proficiency in one-handed sword and a separate proficiency for two handed/bastard swords. I like the concept of a proficiency for bows to apply to all bows (the mechanics are fundamentally the same for a longbow and compound bow).

Why be proficient in club but be adoofus w/ a mace? that never made sense. The list could go on...

I also think the D20 concept of Weapon Proficiency by groups is just fine.
Conan botches it a bit by making the Crossbow a Martial weapon. As Spectator just explained, it was so popular because it is bloody simple to use effectively. Step 1, point, Step 2, pull trigger. It's not rocket science.

If you want to become _more_ proficient with a particular weapon -- well, that's Weapon Focus and all the other weapon-specific feats.
Nice, simple and effective. Really no point in making this more complicated. :)

Clovenhoof said:
Really no point in making this more complicated. :)

If you read through my three posts of ramblings above, that's where I ended up. I started someplace, then talked my way into another place by post 3.

I do that. I like "what if" scenarios and discussions about mechanics. Turns out that I agree, what happens in vanilla Conan is just fine. The GM can fine tweak if he wants to.

Use the weapon proficiency groups from Unearthed Arcana (also available on the hyperlink SRD site) and add racial groups to it. Done.

Back