Enhance INT, Enhance POW - warning, contains munchkinnery

Harshlax said:
He wants to pay an Yelornan Unicorn Rider.

I have also a Yelornan initiate in my group of players. At initiate level, most yelornans do not ride a unicorn, they ride other mounts that they have stolen, bred, captured or bought (mostly zebras or horses, but also other praxian mounts, depending on the tribe of origin of the initiate). Unicorns only get available once initiates prove their worth to the cult. Only then, the priestess tells the initiate the secret of how to get a unicorn, which is a heroquest that retells how Yelorna became a friend of Father of Unicorns. This is a difficult heroquest, because the initiate must undertake it alone. It is a "this world" heroquest, so the power of the heroplane is invoked in the mundane plane and the heroquest develops in the mundane plane (in the plains of the Wastes).

Simon Phipp has described this heroquest in his huge webpage, as well as in a recent issue of the magazine Tradetalk.

The idea of making the powers of the unicorn progressively available to the rider is a good one. It may depend on a skill that you could call "Connection with (name of the unicorn)", which I'd start at 25%+CHA, for instance. Then you could stablish thresholds at which different powers become available. :wink:

Having run a scenario now, I'm glad that I halved the bonus for the Enhance spells. If I had gone with the RAW, the party fighter would have 6 CAs (including shield bonus) and a Sword & Shield skill of 91%.

You could also argue that the True Malkioni Church also gets all the Enhance (characteristic) spells as their Grimoire covers everything in the corebook).

SJE

SJE said:
You could also argue that the True Malkioni Church also gets all the Enhance (characteristic) spells as their Grimoire covers everything in the corebook).

SJE
That's an errata item, there is a list of spells in another thread.

PhilHibbs said:
Having run a scenario now, I'm glad that I halved the bonus for the Enhance spells. If I had gone with the RAW, the party fighter would have 6 CAs (including shield bonus) and a Sword & Shield skill of 91%.

Why would that have been a problem? I mean, it's not like Glorantha isn't filled with superhuman-like people.

Oku said:
PhilHibbs said:

Why would that have been a problem? I mean, it's not like Glorantha isn't filled with superhuman-like people.
I think it's a bit much for starting characters. The sorceress is already the most powerful member of the party and is out-doing everyone else at almost everything. Having everyone else's performance being dependent on hers would be even less satisfying.

PhilHibbs said:
I think it's a bit much for starting characters. The sorceress is already the most powerful member of the party and is out-doing everyone else at almost everything. Having everyone else's performance being dependent on hers would be even less satisfying.

Ah, I can see that could be problematic for some.

PhilHibbs said:
Oku said:
PhilHibbs said:

Why is she the most powerful?. I have not play one,and will like to know more. This is the only setting i know of where you can play Sauron. A Sorcerer that can use sword and armor.

Because as I read the rules,you need several combat actions to get something powerful going on. Multiple targets,range ,etc.

cerebro said:
Why is she the most powerful?. I have not play one,and will like to know more. This is the only setting i know of where you can play Sauron. A Sorcerer that can use sword and armor.
She only wears 1-point armour, I think she's near her ENC limit already. Her scythe is pretty cumbersome.

cerebro said:
Because as I read the rules,you need several combat actions to get something powerful going on. Multiple targets,range ,etc.
Two CAs and 2 MPs will get you a spell with as much Range and Targets as you can get. A third CA for Magnitude if you think there's a chance of defensive magic or of your spell being dispelled. I'm ruling that the initial casting of Wrack does no damage, she has to concentrate for a CA to do damage to all targets. So, three CAs to actually get some damage done.

cerebro said:
Two CAs and 2 MPs will get you a spell with as much Range and Targets as you can get. A third CA for Magnitude if you think there's a chance of defensive magic or of your spell being dispelled. I'm ruling that the initial casting of Wrack does no damage, she has to concentrate for a CA to do damage to all targets. So, three CAs to actually get some damage done.[/quote]

So, one combat action for range and another for targets (2).Then she will have to fight them in melee. If they are still standing of course. And if they make the resistant roll, nothing happens. I don't see her as that powerful.

cerebro said:
So, one combat action for range and another for targets (2).Then she will have to fight them in melee. If they are still standing of course. And if they make the resistant roll, nothing happens. I don't see her as that powerful.
So far, not a single one has resisted a Wrack, but that's luck. There have always been warriors to hide behind, as well, and yes it takes time to take people down. But Wrack isn't the only thing - she enhances everyone's stats so all the other players kind of feel in her debt all the time, she put up a Protective Ward that stopped dozens of casualties in the first fight, she has healing, Mystic Vision, and Familiarity. "Oh, these are Ompalam cultists? Well, I'll have Lore (Ompalam) at 84% skill! Oh, and Lore (Slavery), Lore (Mondoro), Lore (Gargos River), Lore (Jungles), Lore (Geology), Lore (Earthquakes) and Lore (Fonrit) as well for no extra cost!"

And she has loads of Common Magic.

Back