E-Mines

What do you think!

• Good Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Idea Has Potential - Modify

• It's a fair idea

• It's a Bad Idea - But there is room for change.

• No Way - They are better as is.

• Total voters
Pauly_D said:
tamcoan said:
I'd rather just see a reduction in AD or range myself.

leave the range alone, thats what makes them fun to play against
and anyway the AD will get reduced in SFoS

Sorry, I meant to type radius instead of range. 3-inch radius is just too much. A 2 inch radius is about right, plus fits into the rules for splitting attack dice.

tamcoan said:
Sorry, I meant to type radius instead of range. 3-inch radius is just too much. A 2 inch radius is about right, plus fits into the rules for splitting attack dice.

Only Beam weapons have a 4" seperation of targets limitation for splitting AD, E-mines are not BEam weapons so they don't suffer from this.

Though I think there was talk of changing E-mines so that they can't split AD at all. I may be wrong.

LBH

Rigeld said:
So you guys are of the opinion that E-Mines are overpowered?
I'd say 'over-effective'. I don't mind the AD or the special effects, just the excessive effect they have in terms of multiple targetting. If the normal e-mine were Weak, and/or the recently proposed idea of giving them a -1 on the damage table (sort of 'anti-Precise') comes to pass I'll be less bothered (although I still say that 'Weak' should have this effect all on it's own), but still I'd say the radius was a bit too big.

Wulf

As a Narn who rarely (if ever) splits his E-Mine AD (since I find it more effective to concentrate fire when possible, not the SA), I hear lots of people saying that splitting E-Mine AD to blanket the battlefield with mines is a horrifying tactic. Is this what you see? If so, would making them unsplittable seem reasonable? The 3" radius really isnt that bad, and since its hard to squadron Narn ships (due to boresighting, I need to make sure that more of my ships move after yours) I need to have something to "punish" you for squadroning yours.

Rigeld said:
and since its hard to squadron Narn ships (due to boresighting, I need to make sure that more of my ships move after yours) I need to have something to "punish" you for squadroning yours.

I wouldn't say hard, just not a particularly good tactic for you.

ANd if you want to see punishment from a squadron, just stay within 10" of a WS or WSC-2 squadron :twisted:

LBH

Rigeld said:
So you guys are of the opinion that E-Mines are overpowered?

Nah. I would rather take heavy lasers or mag guns. e-mines are good for anti-fighter, work anti-stealth work and attacking squadrons of the lighter hulled vessels (4+ or 5+). Its a bit of a waste of AD to try and damage hull 6 ships.

If you are particularly scared of e-mines, follow the suggestions to 'restrict' them a little bit by making them unable to split AD. You may even find they are a little more effective like Rigeld did, but less dominating this way.

I don't understand how the center of an emine explosion does the same damage as its maximum range. Isn't the energy expanding and thus losing effectiveness?

Ender said:
I don't understand how the center of an emine explosion does the same damage as its maximum range. Isn't the energy expanding and thus losing effectiveness?

As Wulf said in another thread, its because its simple. It doesnt bother me, because play is easier..

Yes E-mines are a pain the proverbial, but I don't see that much wrong with them. Or that is I didn't see much wrong with them until I faced a fleet heavy with E-mine ships.

What I'd rather see is a set number of times a ship can fire E-mines rather than a reduction in damage at the far end of the blast zone.

I had a fight recently with the Narn with 14 e-mine attacks, luckily for most of hte game he only fired 7 a round so he could keep up a steady fire. But damn, that game lasted a while and he kept pumping them out.

I get the idea some people will go Count Ammunition? No way! But then I checked the fight where the Narn used the mines in the series, and they only fired one barrage from the fleet. It is not as crazy as it sounds.

But then I havn't seen the SFoS stuff and any revisions that have been done :)

My 2 credits.

Emines clear out a few fighters and can hit more than one ship, but as we play them, [no rerolls, can't split, anti-precise] there more of an annoyence than a threat to anything large. What IS scary is a Dag'kar with 4 ship breaker sets and 2 Ionic burst since they limit opposing fleets options and cause a LOT of pain when in range, which doesn't take long...

On a side note, how would Fast Charge effect e-mine alternatives, used as a special order, 2/3 of range and 1/2 AD or what, t'is how it would read...
[/code]

I don't think the cruiser in the episode you're referring to had time for a second shot. the shadows made quick work of him.

That being said, I think the Bin'Tak is being downed down somewhat in SFoS. That book just can't get released fast enough IMHO.. 8)

I don't think there's anything wrong with the basic mines; that's all we've used so far. I think they're a game mechanic that is needed, quite frankly. we haven't gone for using vairiant weapons (mines and missiles) just yet, still working out our basic knowledge of the game mechnics. But, we're happy with what we've seen so far!

Chernobyl

On a side note, how would Fast Charge effect e-mine alternatives, used as a special order, 2/3 of range and 1/2 AD or what, t'is how it would read...

You can't Short Charge E-Mine Variants. I threw a fit when these rules were first introduced since it seemed you could do crazy things like short charge a ship breaker. Thankfully Matt set me straight.

Played a game with 2 points of war level, 5 players, Minbari, Earth, Narn, Shadows and Vorlons. 2 Sharlins, 2 Vorlon Heavy Cruisers, 2 Shadow Ships, 2 Omegas & 1 Warlock and 6 Dag'Kar's, bye bye Sharlin One 3rd round from volley fire.

Conclusion? E-mines = nasty

How many dice exactly were dedicated to take down that Sharlin? 3 turns to take it down isn't impressive, considering what the sharlin could do in return, I would love to play Narn, but everything seems so frail until you get to the Bin'tak, now that;s how Narn should be...

Caladesque said:
I would love to play Narn, but everything seems so frail until you get to the Bin'tak, now that;s how Narn should be...

dont worry, the Narns are getting beefed up to what they should be in SFoS

Back