do ogl cybernet have the cyberpunk feel?

hobgoblin

Mongoose
why im asking is that there is some traffic on the cyberpunk 2020 board on talsorian.com about d20 only being good for epic storytelling and its like. looks like some people compare cyberpunk to lethality and pc bodycount (ie if a pc dont die pr game then its not cyberpunk or some shit like that).

I have this argument with a few friends of mine and other various ppl all the time about dnd and d20 games in general. Most of the time it stems from an incomplete understanding or no understanding of the rules.
My mantra is "It's not about the rules it's about the presentation."
I don't care what ruleset I use, *I* set the mood and feel of my game...not the rules.

Socket

hobgoblin said:
why im asking is that there is some traffic on the cyberpunk 2020 board on talsorian.com about d20 only being good for epic storytelling and its like. looks like some people compare cyberpunk to lethality and pc bodycount (ie if a pc dont die pr game then its not cyberpunk or some shit like that).

Anonymous said:
I have this argument with a few friends of mine and other various ppl all the time about dnd and d20 games in general. Most of the time it stems from an incomplete understanding or no understanding of the rules.
My mantra is "It's not about the rules it's about the presentation."
I don't care what ruleset I use, *I* set the mood and feel of my game...not the rules.

Socket

I have to agree with that 110%. An RPG isn't like a board game, where the rules dictate how the game is played. The rules are a toolset to sit behind what is effectively an improv. group with a nominated leader.

The good craftsman will use whatever tools he's given to create a masterpiece, while only the bad craftsman will blame a shoddy outcome on his tools.

I disagree - Mechanics are essential to the creation of the feeling. For example it would have been impossible to do d20 Cthulhu without changing elements of the system. Whilst presentation and good GMing can make for an excellent feel, that won't last unless the mechanics used reflect this.

Danger atmosphere won't last long once the players realise that the danger is purely as psychological creation of the GM.

The HPs/Combat feel of Cybernet is not as gritty as say the Talsorian version. However I would highly recommend those who wish to move along a darker route, Pick up the Wild West game and use the horrible and gritty Wounds system there in - bleeding, imparement and degrees of medical treatment required.

hassanisabbah said:
Danger atmosphere won't last long once the players realise that the danger is purely as psychological creation of the GM.

True, but I view it as an activity of the GM to adjust the mechanics to reflect the feel if they don't "fit". If they want a wounds/bleeding system, they can add (or borrow) one.

As you mention, d20 Cthulhu had to change some elements of the base d20 system to fit the setting. I'm saying the exact same thing - you can play horror using d20 (or any other rules set) by tweaking the rules in that way - it's impossible to say "I can't do that with this rulebook", because at the end of the day you can house rule anything you need.

I view the majority of SRD-derivatives in this way, as being "pre-house-ruled" for you, with a core you're already 80% familiar with.

Even something as simple as the wound/vitality system (with crits going straight to wounds) would go a long ways towards adding the scariness back to the system. Just having a chance (even a small one) of going down with every shot is enough to give even seasonsed players pause.

Anyway, there are easy enough tweaks to make any system more deadly if that is what you want. Personally, I think that there is more to it than that. Other elements make the "feel" of the game and Cybernet captures those (or at least give you the tools to make a world that captures those).

I am using the injury variant from Arcana Unearthed to add some grittiness to the game.

Socket

Anonymous said:
I am using the injury variant from Arcana Unearthed to add some grittiness to the game.

Socket

Er make that WOTC Unearthed Arcana:)

hmm, the term grit allways gets comboed with lethal and detailed damage systems when talking about cyberpunk style game. grit can come into being without the pc's risking death around every corner. its allso about hanging in there when every part of your mind, body and spirit tells you that no matter the actions, no matter what you go thru there is no light at the end. basicly is about loss of hope. cyberpunk dont revolve around combat, allso all roleplaying games based on cyberpunk seems to focus on combat as a way to deliver the feel. i guess the reason is that there are not easy to present hunger, poverty, racial and other social inequality and so on in a game by the use of rules.

The vp/wp system is good. You could also use the massive damage rules from conan. Or both... :shock:

I am thinking about implementing one of these in steampunk.

Back