Divine spells & Heroquesting

Loran

Mongoose
:idea:
Reading Cults of Glorantha, I have just realized that one of my old Idea about divine magic was now easy to put in place.

Instead of playing acquisition of divine spells like a trade (pay with points, you'll get the magic) which seems to me a little bit too much like supermarket business, I would like to reinforce the sacred aspect of the act and roleplay the acquisition as a minor Heroquest. I think that we can take some of the game time for this because PCs don't get so often the occasion to buy new spells.

Acquiring a one spell for the first time would request at least the same effort than doing a Heroquest with 10% (?) resonance (we can imagine some circumstances where it would be harder, for example if it a secondary pact or an obscure spell). Acquiring the spell a second time will ask to go deeper in the myth and would be a 20% (?) resonance Heroquest spell. The Game master will have of course to think about when and how the god made this mythical and magical act to be re-enacted but it can be fun to give to the player some secret hints about his god (after all at minimum he is initiated, it must me something more intimate than choosing in the rule book).
The god may have done this mythical act several time, so each time Heroquesting could be different even for the same spell or player, and the quest would not be boring because of the repetitiveness...

Because the divine magic is acquired in temples, it would not be too difficult to be successful, especially by choosing the most favorable conditions and supports (you can imagine communities supporting the PCs for some useful spells and disagreeing for others... nice game sessions ahead).

We can also imagine standard Heroquests with a special stage where the Heroquester may learn directly Divine Magic by this way...

Casting the spell, especially in a ritual, would be re-enacting the Heroquest at a mundane level. This would be done by pure roleplay from the player, but the master may then give positive or negative modifications to the player's Lore [Theology] test for the quality of the description. Even an instantaneous spell may require a specific state of mind that could be described like "I'm Orlanth the Thunderous, Commander of Storms, King of the winds, Gathered of Clouds and Master of Lightning and Thunder. I summon the sacred spear upon my enemies!" (doesn't it sound better than "My PC casts a lightning bolt at my next action..." ? :roll:). I'm pretty sure that players can do a lot of efforts to get a simple +10% on their tests when casting their divine magic... :twisted:

What do you think?
I haven't read all the details of the rules (and it is difficult to sort between all the variations from old RQs, MRQ1, MRQ2 and BRP) but is there something that I forget that would flaw this idea ?

Your comments are welcome. :?

I like it. I was thinking about using these for the first acquisition, but didn't think about recharging -- this is a great use of the mechanic.

Instead of having the resonance increase over time, I might instead make it dependent on the character's actions, either what they used the spell for, or their overall standing with the god. I'd probably make the base resonance equal to some multiple of the power of the spell (e.g. 1 point of power = 20%, 2 points = 40%, etc.)

I assume the god is granting the power to do its work in the world -- those who are using the power for the right things should not be punished!

Steve

Hmmm my poor English has probably betrayed me somewhere... :?
I didn't meant this for recharging (it could be boring each time) but for acquiring the same spell a second time, to get two time the same effect.

Charging himself with the same power should bring more knowledge about the god (two times the same spell = a two stages Heroquest, three times the same spell = a three stages Heroquest).

To me, prayer at the shrine should be enough for recharging...

Loran said:
Hmmm my poor English has probably betrayed me somewhere... :?
I didn't meant this for recharging (it could be boring each time) but for acquiring the same spell a second time, to get two times the same effect.

Charging himself with the same power should bring more knowledge about the god (two times the same spell = a two stages Heroquest, three times the same spell = a three stages Heroquest).

To me, prayer at the shrine should be enough for recharging...

I like this idea a lot!!! :D
Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to think of a Heroquest (even the simplest of them) for every divine spell that each of my players (with their respective gods and myths) wishes to learn. :?

My group of players: 1 aldryami, 3 orlanthi, 1 dakafali, 1 yelornan, 1 lodrili...

But anyway, if anyone does this with the orlanthi spells, I'd be eternally grateful and I'd praise him/her lavishly. :)

Rungard said:
I like this idea a lot!!! :D
Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to think of a Heroquest (even the simplest of them) for every divine spell that each of my players (with their respective gods and myths) wishes to learn. :?

My group of players: 1 aldryami, 3 orlanthi, 1 dakafali, 1 yelornan, 1 lodrili...

But anyway, if anyone does this with the orlanthi spells, I'd be eternally grateful and I'd praise him/her lavishly. :)
We should set up a section on the wiki for people to add their ideas for spell-learning rituals.

Quick poll: Should this be under "Gloranthan content" on the wiki, or should it be generic? I see HeroQuesting as specifically Gloranthan, but some people use the concept in other settings.

One way to bring this into play, especially in the Second Age, would be where a supposedly run-of-the-mill divine spell learning quest goes horribly wrong, due to God Learner meddling. The adventurers have to track down the GL that is messing up the cult's ability to acquire the spell.

First you're not obliged to have a retrofit. Spell already acquired could have been acquired during unplayed Heroquests and this new rule could apply for new spells... or not (e.g.: play it only if it is fun, interesting or a hook for something else... and for the other spells, the GM just tells that the HQ went well..?)

I clearly understand the problem of Heroquests creation. Either the GM has all the material before and he has to prepare all possible cases, or he creates it when needed and have to be very imaginative on the spot... not always easy.

Last year with Soltakss, we have tried to summarize everything about HeroQuests in MRQ. This is still an unachieved work and greatly out of date now that "Cults of Glorantha" has made the question clearer, but to support GM's imagination, we have made some little more sophisticated tables for designing stages, for example by rolling some runic influence on the stage.

With Soltakass's agreement, we may perhaps give our partial results to the community in a sustainable way? Perhaps on the wiki if there is place for invention there?

Loran said:
With Soltakass's agreement, we may perhaps give our partial results to the community in a sustainable way? Perhaps on the wiki if there is place for invention there?

Sure, we can put together a PDF of our ideas and post it on Mr Qwiki.

Back