Did any play RQ at Continuum?

Greg Smith

Mongoose
A friend of mine played in a RQ demo on saturday night at Continuum last weekend. I wondered if anyone else here played it and whether they enjoyed it?

Greg Smith said:
A friend of mine played in a RQ demo on saturday night at Continuum last weekend. I wondered if anyone else here played it and whether they enjoyed it?

Arrrh! Jim Lad! Always fun when you get out on a ship in fole playing. My mate had a sore throat the next day from all the all the salty sea dog voices.
<edit>
Just rembered there where two games going on Saturday night at the same time. I was in the one where we crashed a ship and had salty sea dog fun.
</edit>

It was great fun.

I came to continuum for two reasons;

1. to buy RQ. Success- seems good.
2. to play RQ. Success- but...... the GM should have read the rules first. having said that, he was a good GM and we had fun anyway. Apart from the mighty wizard who got done by a duck. A female duck. Actually a geriatric one legged female duck.

Alloppo said:
I came to continuum for two reasons;

1. to buy RQ. Success- seems good.
2. to play RQ. Success- but...... the GM should have read the rules first. having said that, he was a good GM and we had fun anyway. Apart from the mighty wizard who got done by a duck. A female duck. Actually a geriatric one legged female duck.

Ha. Invincible duckpower. Was it the scenario in S&P35 you played?

My mate played in an arena battle scenario, which he felt was not a good illustration of either Glorantha nor the whole RQ ruleset. He felt that there were players prepared to drop money on the game (RQ veterans and newbies) who might have done so if the scenario had been better. He thought Mongoose could have presented its new game a little better.

Yep, I played in the Pirate/Zombie scenario which was fun.

<edit>
<edit>

The GM was fine. Anyone would have a bit of a problem with new rules if they hadn't played them for a while. I have problems with classic RQ having played for far too long.

The Mighty Wizard had boarded the geriatric one-legged senile female duck's boat and stood on the deck, trying to intimidate her. "How do you stop being boarded by pirates?" he asked. "Well, I just does this ...." she said, stepping forward and pushing him, he laughed and tried to dodge, failing abysmally and was pushed overboard in his nice suit of Ringmail armour that the rest of the crew had tried to persuade him not to wear. Fortunately, he case a Breathe Water spell and just walked out of the water as if nothing had happened. But we knew!

Alloppo - Yes, I must have fumbled my Sense Idiot skill!

Good to see you again, anyway, hope to see you in 2 years if not sooner!

Enpeze wrote:
Ha. Invincible duckpower. Was it the scenario in S&P35 you played?

No it was a different scenario, with us chasing some undead pirates. The duck was the highlight. Apart from for one player who didn't laugh so much..........

Soltakss wrote:

The GM was fine. Anyone would have a bit of a problem with new rules if they hadn't played them for a while.

My point was that I felt I understood the rules better after reading them for two hours! He was a good GM, but as a demonstration GM of a new game he was poor. I came to the concention just to make learning the rules easier. I still have memories of trying to teach myself RQ2 without playing and getting bogged down in the Shaman rules. I also met someone who had 'DM'd for himself' as he had no players and came to our group with a mega character that was apparently accepted by Greg as officially one of Argraths bodyguard. How we laughed when instead of having Shield 28 like the rest of us, he had 2x shield 2, 3xshield 4 etc. He also thought we were cheating as we cast shield 4 but we weren't Shamans and couldn't go over 21 POW and so must have gone below 18 POW to get it. How we laughed.

Unfortunately he is now a very famous Glorantha writer so no names....

It was to avoid these problems I wanted to see how it was played, but we may as well have played (and enjoyed I admit) Bunnies and Burrows.

Back