Cults of Glorantha Index?

Swashbuckler

Mongoose
Hey I was just wondering...

Was there originally an index to Cults of Glorantha that maybe got cut for space? If so, maybe it could be posted as one page of that PDF?

I mean, there is a lot of information here, what with the cults, associated cults, spells, etc. An index would make this a much more usable book during play. I'm working on a review of this right now, and I have to say, this is a ding against the book.

The existing TOC just sort of rubs salt in the wound. No offense, Mongoose guys, but a five-entry TOC squished onto the title page is really not so useful for a 96 page book with 50 cults and so on, unless there's a good index in the book somewhere.

Any chance there's an index kicking around somewhere that we could have?

Swashbuckler

Trifle? I respectfully disagree.

With the vast amount of names and cults and spells in this book, I think it would have been a useful addition.

Swash

Swashbuckler said:

With the vast amount of names and cults and spells in this book, I think it would have been a useful addition.

Swash

Of course the book should have an index. However, they (with they being the thanatari editors working for Mongoose) always cut it.

Trifle.

Banned Beetle said:
Swashbuckler said:

Swash

Of course the book should have an index. However, they (with they being the thanatari editors working for Mongoose) always cut it.

Trifle.

Oh your name is Trifle. I thought you were saying my complaint was a mere trifle. Ha! Sorry.

--Swash

Actually don't most MRQ books have an Index?

Cults is the only one that doesn't I can recall. It is pretty obvious that they had to really had to cram that one into 96 pages. I shudder to think of what didn't make it.

Oh your name is Trifle. I thought you were saying my complaint was a mere trifle. Ha! Sorry.

Hehe, got it. Was wondering what we disagreed about! :D

Rurik said:
Actually don't most MRQ books have an Index?

Cults is the only one that doesn't I can recall. It is pretty obvious that they had to really had to cram that one into 96 pages. I shudder to think of what didn't make it.

You're right, it's my english which lets me down again. I always thinks about the contents list when I hear the word index. Which is usually 5-6 lines long in the MRQ books.

Trifle.

Banned Beetle said:
Swashbuckler said:

Swash

Trifle.

To be fair, HeroWars had bad (read "none") indexes too.

Jeff

Voriof said:

Jeff

Greg admitted that the physical presentation of Hero Wars was below par as he was backed in to a corner where he had to publish what he had, or run out of money (much donated by fans) and never get to publish. He also made sure that the subsequent books in the line did not suffer from the same problems. Issaries also realised that although the "Trade Paperback" format had some advantages, they were outweighed by the disadvantages and reverted to a more traditional format.

The MRQ main rule book looks thrown together, and the fact that the rules, examples and tables all disagree with each other shows it could have used at least one more pass through the editing process

CoG 1 likewise appears to have needed more time in editing to tidy up all the missing spell references (It really could have done with having spells written for an earlier generation of the rules re-writing to fit the current version rather than just being cut...)

MoG would have looked nicer if some thought had been put in to layout so that, for instance the Dragonspeaker cults had fitted on a page rather than each one starting one paragraph ahead of the end of a page...

Publishing the books in an appropriate size (like the industry leaders, WOtC and WW) rather than the mongoose only standard ultra-slim hardback would have allowed the rules and companion to be combined, ending criticism that the rules aren't complete because they only cover one magic system. One book a month rather than two in the same week is unlikely to upset anyones economic situation.

Mongoose are the biggest RPG publisher in the UK and I would guess in the top 5 world wide - but the physical appearance and editing quality of the books wouldn't look out of place in the late 70's - early 80's

duncan_disorderly said:
The MRQ main rule book looks thrown together, and the fact that the rules, examples and tables all disagree with each other shows it could have used at least one more pass through the editing process
I think that's a general criticism that can be made at Mongoose. That's not a pop at anyone - it's a product of the very quick turnaround that they seem to have in the production process, which in turn is part of what seems to be a very successful business model. I wouldn't want Richard Ford's job - his workload must be daunting.

What it does mean is that there doesn't seem to be a stage where the editor runs suggested changes past the author(s) - so if the editor has misunderstood the author's intentions, or is less knowledgeable about detailed aspects of the subject, there is a risk of distortions and mistakes creeping in out of view of the author. This, along with a fluid situation concerning the basic rules, seems to have been the major stumbling block with CoG1.

I'm not inclined to rant about these things - yer pays yer money, yer takes yer choice, and I'm continuing to pay my money. My main gripe is that with a limited gaming budget, I'm going to have trouble keeping up.... :D These forums are, however, a useful place to raise what we might see as errors; there's the odd person around who needs to calm down about it, though. Mongoose haven't shot anyone's dog*.

* At least, I assume not. If this is in fact the case, please post details.

Voriof said:

Oh, so because another game system produced bad works, that means that it's OK for Mongoose to do the same?

We were always taught to learn from both our mistakes and the mistakes of others. Perhaps that's an old fashioned idea. Instead, we should produce below-par things because everyone else does.

Now, I see! It all becomes clear!

:x

duncan_disorderly said:
Voriof said:

Jeff

Greg admitted that the physical presentation of Hero Wars was below par as he was backed in to a corner where he had to publish what he had, or run out of money (much donated by fans) and never get to publish. He also made sure that the subsequent books in the line did not suffer from the same problems. Issaries also realised that although the "Trade Paperback" format had some advantages, they were outweighed by the disadvantages and reverted to a more traditional format.

Yes. Oddly enough, I'm aware of this. I playtested HW and subsequently helped with the writing and design of HQ. :)

Jeff

Novel sized book roughly A5 in size (148 x 210 mm)

The Storm tribes and Thunder Rebels have gots some cool background on the Orlanthi culture... its third age but still cool and usable.

Voriof said:
Yes. Oddly enough, I'm aware of this. I playtested HW and subsequently helped with the writing and design of HQ. :)

Jeff

The point being that we haven't had an explanation,apology, or radical improvement of the MRQ line following the disappointing start.

There were criticisms of HeroWars, but they resulted in subsequent products being better. Criticisms of MRQ seem to result only on the complainers being dismissed as whiny old timers...

So, back to my original question, which I think was more or less to the effect of: Is there any chance we might see an index in pdf form with the errata, if any?

It would really add a lot to the product, IMHO.

I didn't mean to start a dump-on-MRQ thread, honestly!

--Swash

Swashbuckler said:
So, back to my original question, which I think was more or less to the effect of: Is there any chance we might see an index in pdf form with the errata, if any?

It would really add a lot to the product, IMHO.

I didn't mean to start a dump-on-MRQ thread, honestly!

--Swash

True. I am hoping for one as well. However, I am not sure if I am supposed to be doing it. Frome my experience, creating a proper index requires software and the book files after layout.

There were criticisms of HeroWars, but they resulted in subsequent products being better. Criticisms of MRQ seem to result only on the complainers being dismissed as whiny old timers...

I am sorry if I seemed dismissive. I am hoping to see great improvements in the MRQ material as well. However, I am somewhat grumpy as compiling the errata is taking more energy than I thought.

Sigh. I really wish some cults had not been cut. It would have made my job much easier.

Jeff

Back