Elric of Melnibone Sword Ruler Cult Question

DamonJynx

Cosmic Mongoose
Hi All,

Can somebody help me? In my upcoming game one of the PCs is playing a Pan Tangian Warrior Priest with a Pact to Mabelode, King of Swords. I've no problem with him using his free skill points to 'buy' 2 additional runes, however he has chosen 3 (he gets 2 for being a warrior-priest, one of which is a Rune of Concealment) that aren't listed as being available to his cult, so I've asked him how his PC acquired them...that's not the question. My question is; on page 140 of the EoM book, it says:
Gifts and Compulsions are available according to whether or not the adherent follows the general cult of the Sword Rulers or has joined one of the cult’s sects (see Special Notes, below). Members of a Sect can use both tables; those outside a sect use the General Table.
I must be blind Freddy, because I can't see any special notes and I'd like to know what they are because this Cult, unlike most others, does not enforce the taking of a gift & compulsion, I quote
Sword Brothers and Sisters
• One Compulsion and One Gift, if one wishes to take it.
• Training in one Cult Skill, either establishing the skill at its
base percentage or improving it by 1D4+1.
and I'd like to know what's missing, maybe sect members have to take a gift & compulsion at each rank, maybe not, but it would be nice to know for sure...
I'm assuming that the gifts and compulsions listed are for sect members, those who venerate the Sword Rulers as a pantheon, choose their gifts & compulsions from the 'general' list for Chaos cults.

Back