Counters

Cristo Meyers

Mongoose
Some may remember me, most probably won't. Long time SST player and fan of B5. Second time asking stupid NOOB questions. Thanks in advance for your tolerance. :oops:

Now that my wife and I have finally landed jobs that provide surplus money, I'm looking to get into ACTA. However, I need to do so on a budget so I can't get the fleet boxes immediately. I know that the $50 starter comes with counters for the major races (EA, Mimbari, Centauri, and Narn right? Or are there more?), but are there any other supplements that have ship counters? Do Sky Full of Stars or Armageddon have them?

Next question, I know that Armageddon and Sky Full of Stars have rules updates. Would I need to get both or could I get by with just Sky Full of Stars? Also, how important would it be to get these supplements? Would just getting the $50 starter be enough or should I suck it up and get the starter and a supplement?

The starter box comes with a whole universe worth of counters, big 4, and most of the rest. It is not quite a complete collection but you do get most of them. There are no official Drakh and Dilgar counters but fan made ones are available. The majority of advice about 'what mini's do I need?' tends to be buy this box and play with the counters for a while to find out what you like.

As to supplements, you will not go wrong with getting Sky Full of Stars, it provides a load of additional rules e.g. Space Stations, Ship traits, new fleet lists, splits the league into its consituent races, adds a load of campaign details and tweaks and some scenarios.

Armageddon while also not essential does bring you the Armageddon PL to the game, splits the EA into significant fleet era's as well as makes the Shadows and Vorlons powerful. There are also a couple of rules tweak, mainly to fighters.

If you are thinking of starting out, the Revised Box Set is all you need. You will get a fully working game out of the box. Personally I would recomend purchasing the Revised Box Set and Sky Full of Stars as this covers most of what you need to get the most out of the game. Other things can be picked up as and when you may need them, should you want them.

The only other counter set apart from those in the Initial box set is the Sky Full of Stars counter set, sold seperately from SFOS, but it is basically another set of counters from the box set, plus 4 more sheets of ships from SFOS.

LBH

Back