Conan RPG - GM Only Bestiary Reference List

Yogah of Yag said:
I suspect also that bloddolk is Scandinavian (perhaps "blood-dagger", as in "bloody dagger"):

Bloddolk Forest, 38 [Road of Kings]

undoubtedly pastiche, too.
I really don't think REH knew any langs besides English (and Spanish??? since he lived in Texas)...
Just some thoughts. :)

Bloddolk is probably Scandinavian too as you said, meaning literaly "dagger of blood" in Norwegian. Not that you could make a dagger of blood, but as an abstrac litterary image it works. Thanks for pointing it out to me. :D

I like to see how non-scandinavians fantasy writers scavenge scandinavian laguage and mythology. They usually end up twisting it into something quite unlike it's original meaning and context. (Marvel's superhero versions of Thor, Odin and Loki spring to mind :roll: ) As a Norwegian I find it extremely amusing. :lol:

Tolkien was the only one who did it well, but i never got the same kick out of his work as i do with REH.

From Stygia - Serpent of the South

Animals:

Crocodile, Giant Stygian
Jackal
Lion
Serpopard
Stygian River Horse (Hippopotamus)

Demons:

Children of Ishiti (template)
Lamia
Man-Serpent (The God in the Bowl)

Demon Lords:

Ammut
Black Beast, The Ghoul-Hyena of Chaos
Ishiti, Demon Goddess of Snakes

Monsters:

Emerald Lotus
Living Ka (template)
Manticore
Ta-Neheh Mummy

NPCs:

Conan, Mercenary of Sukhmet
Princess Akivasha - The Queen of Eternal Life
Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Black Ring
Alcolytes of the Black Ring
Lords of the Black Ring
Phyle Priests
Scribes
Non-Sorcerous Priests of Set
Physician/Surgeon, Keeper of Djehuty's First Mystery
Sorcerous Priests of Set
Temple Harlots of Idris

Armies of Stygia:

Kushite Spearmen
Stygian Archers
Stygian Chariot Driver
Stygian Chariot Archer
Stygian Infantry

Updated with the new books I recently read.

Again, anyone who wants to list the animals/monsters/plants/templates available in the books listed I don't have feel free and I will add them to the list.

8)

Valaryc said:
there are 2 (!) scenarios mentioned in the list! and if your players are screaming "ahhhh....a demon lord is coming!" while you are reading in scroll of skelos you / they need a doctor.

but forget it....if you think this is so gm only sensitive.....so be it. what kind of players do you have in your group that you think they will a read a damn list to know which things they are facing? and why do you think a lousy "spoiler - gm only" will hold them back IF they are such a kind? or have you players that read 120 names "accidently" ? :) sorry....ridiculous.

but as i said...forget it and make it "top secret" :)

Kinda taking this whole "spoiler" issue kinda serious aren't ya?... Verily, I've said it before and I'll say it again: anti-Spoilerites are the scurge of our times... If I see one more: "I'm Anti-Spoiler Warning And I Vote" bumper sticker, I'm gonna move to China. Haw haw! :wink: :D

Thoth Aw C'mon said:
Valaryc said:
there are 2 (!) scenarios mentioned in the list! and if your players are screaming "ahhhh....a demon lord is coming!" while you are reading in scroll of skelos you / they need a doctor.

but forget it....if you think this is so gm only sensitive.....so be it. what kind of players do you have in your group that you think they will a read a damn list to know which things they are facing? and why do you think a lousy "spoiler - gm only" will hold them back IF they are such a kind? or have you players that read 120 names "accidently" ? :) sorry....ridiculous.

Kinda taking this whole "spoiler" issue kinda serious aren't ya?... Verily, I've said it before and I'll say it again: anti-Spoilerites are the scurge of our times... If I see one more: "I'm Anti-Spoiler Warning And I Vote" bumper sticker, I'm gonna move to China. Haw haw! :wink: :D

Actually I took his response to be that those who were concerned with having a spoiler on this sort of thread were way over-concerned with such, as there isn't much revealed.

I agree especially concerning all the other topics that reveal so much more. In hindsight and relatively speaking, it's really a lost cause. The whole freaking board should have a spolier warning, really. :lol:

slaughterj said:
Thoth Aw C'mon said:
Valaryc said:

Actually I took his response to be that those who were concerned with having a spoiler on this sort of thread were way over-concerned with such, as there isn't much revealed.

Oops, I clearly fumbled my "Comprehend Post" roll. :shock: :oops: Thats what I get for reading posts after working all night at a Helpdesk. On a busy night it really stacks the neg modifiers to my roll. Haw haw! :) Apologies to Valaryc :!: :!:

Back