[CONAN] PARRY: BREAKING SHIELDS & WEAPONS!

THE PROBLEM
I've always liked this scene in the original John Milius' Conan Movie when Conan breaks Rexor's Blade while Rexor is trying to parry: minute 1.39 of in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ZKCEN-NAA&feature=related

We can treat it as a "Sunder scene"... but I'm not so sure about ir, maybe Rexor was kind of parrying adn things got odd for him...

I've always also liked the idea of shields smashed by Axes and heavy Blades...
http://www.google.it/imgres?q=rhomphaia&um=1&hl=it&sa=N&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&tbnid=FV13V5eL6-IfYM:&imgrefurl=http://deadliestforums.freesmfhosting.com/index.php%3Ftopic%3D44.0&docid=oz9CluHDEmgTAM&imgurl=http://ranistorum.midhedava.net/site_eng/Images/falx_02.jpg&w=446&h=341&ei=dnU6T9GZOZD54QTH8LzlCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1252&vpy=150&dur=1719&hovh=196&hovw=257&tx=164&ty=99&sig=116711492153440714417&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=184&start=0&ndsp=50&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0

HOWEVER, can we really replicate these scenes with the "Sunder" mechanics?
I think not, or at least I do not think "Sunder" cover all of the possibilities of breaking Weapons and Shields in a combat.
"Sundering" is an action deliberatively chosen by the attacker.
However, quite often it could happen that a parrying weapon gets broken or damaged by chance since in a real combat weapons & shields used to parry suffer a lot of stress.
If you look to many ancient swords which were frequently used in combat you will notice many notches (results of parrying heavy weapons, like axes) and attempts of repairing.

CONAN 2E solution
The "weapon breakage" optional rule in CONAN RPG 2E, pag. 174 is a good solution: parry works even if the exact Parry number is taken, but a sundering must be suffered by the parrying weapon.
My personal take is that shields also suffer the same fate.
If the victim has both shield & weapon the shield suffers it, not the weapon.

This is an interesting solution.
However, deliberate attempts at "Sundering" remain the most common way of breaking weapons while the casual breakage of weapon & shields is still too rare.

EXAMPLE:
Think about somebody trying to parry with a wicker shield the attacks of a bardiche.
With the actual set of rules there is only a very small chance to break the wicker shield (the bardiche attacker must roll EXACTLY the Parry defence number).
However, in a real combat after a couple of casual parries the wicker shield in the above example should be useless.
My proposal for solve this situation is the following:

A NEW APPROACH:
WEAPON BREAKAGE (v.2)
1) Parrying with WEAPON: An attack which is equal to the Parry defence triggers a Sunder vs the parrying weapon/shield
2) Parrying with SHIELD: A Sunder is triggered if the attack rolls misses the Parry Defence by an amount which is EQUAL to the Shield parry bonus

Example:
Lamech is a a 5th level Soldier with a Parry Defence of 19 including= 10 + 3 (Class Parry bonus) + 2 (Str bonus) + 4 (Large Shield bonus)
The Sundering vs the Shield is triggered by attacking results of 16,17,18 or 19 (the four numbers which were essential in parrying with the shield).
This means that all the kinds of Large Shield will suffer many attempts of sundering...HOWEVER, a wooden Large Shield (hd 6, hp 10) will break less frequently than a Wicker Large Shield (maybe hd 2, hp 4??).

NOTES: with this set of rules Shields will break more often than Weapons since Shields give a bonus to Parry, but weapons do not give anything to parry.

ADDENDUM
(ONLY FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO MIX CONAN RPG & CODEX MARTIALIS).

Elsewhere I've widely discussed with S4 and Galloglaich my position on the use of weapon "triple stats" from Galloglaich's Codex Martialis.
To keep it simple let say that every weapon gives a different bonus to Attack and Parry.
This is my idea on how to keep things balanced:

Here my new line of thoughts:

ACTUAL SITUATION WITH CONAN 2E RULES
(without considering bonuses from Feats and/or Special Abilities)
ATTACK: d20 + BAB + Str/Dex (if finesse)
PARRY: 10 + Class Mod + Str + Shield Bonus
DODGE: 10 + Class Mod + Dex + (Shield Bonus only for dodging arrows)
UNARMED PARRY: 10 + Class Mod + Str Mod -4 (UNLESS one has Improved Unarmed combat)

CONAN 2E RULES WITH CODEX TRIPLE STATS
(without considering bonuses from Feats and/or Special Abilities)
The new Bonuses are in bold.
So, to be statistically balanced, if we give 1 bonus to attack we must add 1 bonus to Defense, not 2 or 0 bonuses.
And so, here my final formulas:
ATTACK: d20 + BAB + Str/Dex (if finesse) + Weapon Mod (Onset or Melee)
PARRY: 10 + Class Mod + Str + Shield Bonus + Weapon Defense Mod.
DODGE: 10 + Class Mod + Dex + (Shield Bonus only for dodging arrows) + Dex (again)
UNARMED PARRY: 10 + Class Mod + Str Mod -4 (UNLESS one has Improved Unarmed combat) + Dex Mod

You will notice that in my adaptation of Triple stats to Conan Rules I've tried to keep things balanced, a bonus is added to every entry: Attack, Parry and Dodge.

The triple stats gives a whole new level of granularity to Combat.
With this system Weapons give a Parry Bonus like Shields: so we can try to improve my Weapon Breakage rules.

WEAPON BREAKAGE (v.2a = Conan & Codex' Triple stats)
1) Parrying with WEAPON or a SHIELD: A Sunder is triggered if the attack rolls misses the Parry Defence by an amount which is EQUAL to the Shield parry bonus
2) In case one is parrying with both a Weapon AND a Shield, or with two weapons, the sundering threats will involve first the Shield/Off-hand weapon and only then the Main Weapon.

EXAMPLE:
Lamech, the 5th level soldier of the previous example, has the following equipment:
Scimitar has Parry +2
Large Shield has parry +4
So his Parry Defence will be 21 including= 10 + 3 (Class Parry bonus) + 2 (Str bonus) + 4 (Large Shield bonus) +2 (Scimitar Parry bonus)
The Sundering vs the Shield is triggered by attacking results of 18, 19, 20 or 21 (the four numbers which were essential in parrying with the shield).
The Sundering vs the Scimitar is triggered by attacking results of 16 or 17 (the two numbers which were essential in parrying with the shield).

BALANCE RULE:
In my quote box above I've added Dex TWICE to Dodge to balance Dodge & Parry.
The reason was to balance Parry (which received a Parry weapon bonus) with Dodge (which did not receive any bonus)
HOWEVER, using my new Breakage rules is risky for weapons.
To balance things my proposal is to add Dex to Dodge only once and not twice.

This has two consequences:
- Parry becomes more effective than Dodging (due to the weapon Parry Bonus) but risky for your weapons/shield (which risk to be broken)
- Dodge becomes less effective than Parrying, but safer for your weapons.

If the two consequences above look "unrealistic" or if the whole system look too cumbersome and complicated I think there is only one solution.

SIMPLIFIED SYSTEM:

1) Use the canon "Weapon Breakage" rules (Sunder if atk roll = Parry Defence)
2) In case of Shields/off hand weapons:
- If atk roll = Parry Defence make a Sunder vs Shield/Off Hand weapon
- If atk roll = Parry Defence -1 make a Sunder vs mainweapon.

Example:
Lamech Parry Defence is 20.
Atk roll = 20 sunder vs the Shield
Atk roll = 19 sunder vs the scimitar.

This simplified system can be used with both Normal Conan and my version of Codexized Conan (keeping the double Dex bonus to Dodge).

I feel a bit stupid to put here 3 posts one after the other...

But these new considerations by Gallowglaich makes me think that I do not need a "simplified" system.

http://www.codexmartialis.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=632

Back