[CONAN] Hemp Bandages

I'm playing a pretty neat computer roleplaying game called Arcania: Gothic 4. And, my character has come across these hemp bandages that are soaked in vinegar. Apply these, and my character regains health.

I was intrigued by this idea, so I did a quick Google and found out that hemp bandages were really used back during ancient times.

Hm...

I think these would be a good addition to the Conan game, since healing is always something that is important to the characters. And these vinegar drenched hemp bandages seem like something that my Cimmerians would probably use.

What do you think the game effect of something like this would be?

I'm thinking that, using the bandages, will give the user a choice. He can gain a +2 on his Heal check to provide Short Term Care (this modifier cannot be combined with the +2 check a character receives from using a healer's kit). Or, he can gain extra hit points for his patient.

The question would be: How many hit points are restored by using these bandages. I'm thinking, maybe, 5 points plus the number the Healer exceeded his Heal check. Thus, the Short Term Care DC is 15. If the healer rolled 17 on his check, then Short Term Care provides and extra 7 points.

I've also thought about awarding the points at one per hour. So, with the above example, the wounded character would get his normal amount of hit points returned on a successful Short Term Care Heal Check, then he would get 7 more points at a rate of 1 point per hour.

I don't have this written in stone--I'm still brainstorming. So, if you've got a better idea or want to change my idea, then let's hear it!

EDIT: On second thought, the bandages are easy to apply and really have nothing to do with the healer's ability. I'm thinking I should stick with lowing the DC by 2 points (the +2 modifier to the check that cannot be combined with a +2 modifier from using a healing kit) and/or providing a flat bonus of returned hit points not tied to the healer's skill.

What about doubling the amount of points returned from Short Term Care? Or, maybe 50% more, to a minimum of 1 hp?

Still thinking out loud.

1st question: can hemp be grown in the "scottish-highland" type climate?
2nd question: how would the vinegar be made? I thought you need a substantial fruit crop (whether grapes, apples, etc) to make vinegar?
From wiki...
"The word "vinegar" derives from the Old French word "vinaigre" meaning "sour wine".

I think its not a bad idea, but the wild apples or what not found in Cimmeria may not make it past the dinner plate, the cider jug, etc... to be allowed to become vinegar.

I guess anything is feasible though.

Spectator said:
1st question: can hemp be grown in the "scottish-highland" type climate?

Quick Google says this: Hemp is an herbaceous annual plant. It used to be found growing wild in all parts of Ireland.

2nd question: how would the vinegar be made? I thought you need a substantial fruit crop (whether grapes, apples, etc) to make vinegar?
From wiki...
"The word "vinegar" derives from the Old French word "vinaigre" meaning "sour wine".

I think its not a bad idea, but the wild apples or what not found in Cimmeria may not make it past the dinner plate, the cider jug, etc... to be allowed to become vinegar.

According to that same Wiki, vinegar is made from all sorts of stuff. I'm sure the Cimmerians can find something to make it out of, especially if its healing properties are known.

What do you think the "effect" of using the bandages should be? I like the "choice" of either a positive modifier on the Short Term Care check or no modifier but extra hit points resulting from the check if it is made.

What do you think the bonus should be?

I kinda like spreading the bonus out over several hours, too. See my EDIT in the OP.

You know, it might be neat to come up with a lot of ideas like this. I'd make them so that won't stack--you can't use more than one method at a time to stack the modifiers, and you can't use multiples of the same item. But, each method provides a slightly different modifier.

The Healer will have to pick the best tool he has available for the job. And, because Conan is not about "drops" and finding treasure the way it is in D&D, this might add a neat little reward for the players from time to time. They don't come across potions of healing, but they find some hemp bandages and a soft leathern jack of vinegar.

And, the PCs can learn stuff as the game goes on. Down the road, and NPC might teach them about the root of the ju-ju tree. Break the root open and suck on the sap acts like a pain killer (which could restore a few hit points to a hurt character).

Some remedies could be better suited to different types of wounds than others. The ju-ju root pain killer might be the best thing for internal injuries, but the Hemp bandages actually return more hp--but the bandages are a topical agent. If there is no open wound, say as from a club or other blunt weapon, the bandages won't do diddley (you need the ju-ju root to reduce the pain on that bruise, sprain, broken rib, whatever).

Still just thinking out loud....neat idea, I think.

EDIT: You know, another idea might be to use the items together to allow synergy bonuses. If I go this route, I think the thing to do is make the benefit from each type of "medicine" very small, and together, they can make a decent bonus on the injured character.

For example, let's say a character took a deep scratch across the gut from a poinard his enemy held. After the battle, when Short Term Care is being provided, the healer succeed on this Heal Check, give the injured PC the normal amount of hp, then gives him a small bonus because the healer has administered ju-ju root for the pain and then another small bonus because vinegar drenched hemp bandages were used to cove the wound after it was cleaned.

The GM could get playful with this and maybe have, from time to time, a character that is allergic to ju-ju root, or one that the root actually works well upon and gets twice the benefit.

Still thinking out loud.

In my mind, your hemp bandages and vinegar ARE your healing kit. Every society just constructs it differently. Some just your hemp bandages and vinegar, and others use linen with honey salves.

I agree with Mach5RR.
Vinegar was widely used in Roman medicine and, given the similar technological level of Hyborian age, I suspect it should be the basis of healing kits in many Hyborian countries.

OK, what other specific items do you think are in the Conan RPG Healer's Kit?

And...if a character doesn't have a Healer's Kit, then what does he do, on his own, when making a Heal Check for Short Term Care?

Core rules say: "This kit is full of herbs, salves, bandages and other useful materials" What these materials are I think it's a matter of country culture.
Maybe in Turan it's more spices, in Aquilonia it's more vinegar, etc..
Websites like these could give you an idea on Roman medicine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_in_ancient_Rome

http://www.crystalinks.com/romemedicine.html

http://www.dl.ket.org/latin1/mores/medicine/drugs.htm

Maybe we could even use Medieval, Egyptian or Arab sources.

Whataver the fluff, in terms of rules, Healer's kit is something which gives you a +2 bonus to the Heal Check.
Without a Healer Kit you make that check without the +2 bonus.
Making a Hel check without a kit could be using means of fortune. Maybe you make bandages with strips taken from your tunic or maybe you try to stop bleeding using silt or mud.

I have imagined Argos to have some of the finest doctors, surgeons and general medical personnel in the western kingdoms. Anyone else?

M.

Back