Commissions

DrSkull

Mongoose
Do you get a skill roll for getting a Commission?

If you get a Commission, can you get Advancement in the same term?

DrSkull said:
Do you get a skill roll for getting a Commission?

Yes, since a Commission is an "Advancement" roll that turns an NCO into a commissioned officer.

If you get a Commission, can you get Advancement in the same term?

No. The Commission roll is in place of the Admission roll.

It is, however, possible to gain 2 ranks in one term. For instance, rolling a 12 on the Navy Events table. It seems you won't get a skill roll with an events based promotion, though.

Klaus Kipling said:
It seems you won't get a skill roll with an events based promotion, though.

True. But it's likely being bumped two grades in rank will give another Benefit roll and possibly a rank-related skill.

As a house rule I may allow a Promotion and a Commission in the same term.

Junior military officers often get promoted from O1 to O2 to O3 within their first 4 year term. Not all, but most.

So it seems reasonable that someone could get a commission (O1) and a Promotion (O2) within a 4 year term.

Certainly in the US Army if you have not made 03 or on the list to make 03 in 4 years you are on the list to make civilian whether you want to or not. Of course militarys that dont have an up or out policy could be a lot slower.

I would expect the Third Imperium with such a HUGE military probably doesn't have the up-or-out policy. It would be so hard to manage.

Notice that Star Trek didn't have that policy either... Checkov was an ensign for 2 years, even on TNG, several characters did not get promoted over several seasons/years.

Matching current military advancement rates to Traveller (at least in the US) is very difficult. E1s often get promoted within 6 months. E2s within 6-9 months and E3s within a year. So it is very possible that you could be an E4 by then end of your first term (maybe even an E5 if you were a hotshot or in a special program that gave you a higher initial rank). In Traveller, you will be an E2 (maybe an E3) after 4 years. So advancement is definitely slower than current US military.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Notice that Star Trek didn't have that policy either... Checkov was an ensign for 2 years, even on TNG, several characters did not get promoted over several seasons/years.

Well as was explicitly stated in the TNG episode I watched the other night ("Peak Performance" I think) Starfleet is not a military organisation, it is an exploratory one.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Well as was explicitly stated in the TNG episode I watched the other night ("Peak Performance" I think) Starfleet is not a military organisation, it is an exploratory one.

LBH

No wonder everyone in a red shirt dies! :wink:

There was all those gray haired ensigns in TNG if you look at the the extras.

Harry Kim never got promoted, in 7 years, in a key position, on a vessel where crew attrition was irreplacable, despite risking his life routinely and saving the day on several occasions.

How is that fair?

Back