Cenaturi Noble Weapons Known

BeronTheGrey

Mongoose
For my upcoming B5 game, one of the prospective PCs is a Centauri Noble Diplomat. However, the player wants his character to know how to use a coutari. Spending an entire feat on mele wepon proficiency seems unnecessary; would it be unbalancing to just grant him knowledge of the coutari only? Alternatively, what would be a suitable penalty for a trait (free feat) that grants knowledge of the coutari only?

Simon D. Taylor

BeronTheGrey said:
Alternatively, what would be a suitable penalty for a trait (free feat) that grants knowledge of the coutari only?

Simon D. Taylor

How about giving them melee weapon proficiency at the cost of losing an existing proficiency? (Pistol weapons I guess)

mthomason said:
How about giving them melee weapon proficiency at the cost of losing an existing proficiency? (Pistol weapons I guess)

Hmm. I'd already considered that, and I don't think that would be at-all unbalancing, but I'm really wondering if there's a way of squeezing in Coutari and pistols proficiency without spending a feat. It's my game, so I can do what I like with the rules, but I don't want to arbitrarily grant bonuses just to one character.

Simon D. Taylor

BeronTheGrey said:
mthomason said:

Hmm. I'd already considered that, and I don't think that would be at-all unbalancing, but I'm really wondering if there's a way of squeezing in Coutari and pistols proficiency without spending a feat. It's my game, so I can do what I like with the rules, but I don't want to arbitrarily grant bonuses just to one character.

Simon D. Taylor

Hmmm, what about spending a single skill slot to allow a single-weapon proficiency?

Sorry guys , but the character should employ that feat point to purchase the exotic weapon (coutari) proficiency . This is not because the weapon cannot be used by a character without that feat (he can use it with a -4 penalization) , but because he must learn the swordfight techniques , something that requires a long , time consuming , and intensive training .
One idea that I had on this issue , was that to gain proficiency on archaic melee weapons like swords , quartestaffs (denn'bok included) and other weapons like these , they could be placed on weapon families : short swords (coutari and the japanese wakizashi included) , long swords (Ka'toc , european longsword , katana , falchion) , great swords , etc , thus if that Centauri noble decided to spend a feat to adquire the short sword proficiency , he could use all the weapons in that family group without penalization .

Rule 1. Have fun.

Rule 2. It's your game, the rules are suggestions. Do what works for your group.

Rule 3. If you're going to give a freebee to one player, give the other players something of equal value.

Rule 4. Have fun.

Sidney

What I have done in some of my other d20 games is give all of my PCs one extra feat of MY choosing due to their background story.

So, if a character's history claims he was raised a boxer--he might get Improved Unarmed Attack. If a character claims he was in the EA navy as a console gunner, maybe he will get Weapon Prof. (spacecraft). And in the case of your Centauri Noble swordsman...W.P. Coutari would be just fine.

Not only does it help your personal situation, but it gives the players something to think about concernign their past instead of 'I am a Narn Soldier'.

Bry

El Cid said:
Rule 1. Have fun.

Rule 2. It's your game, the rules are suggestions. Do what works for your group.

Rule 3. If you're going to give a freebee to one player, give the other players something of equal value.

Rule 4. Have fun.

Sidney

I concur, Sidney! And in the effort to grant a suggestion. The B5 universe always had something up its sleeve. It never told you the whole story until you where in the thick of things and then it jumped out at you, making you go AH-HA! Thats the reason for all the issues of the past. So give all your players a Blank Feat. And only you as the GM will know what it is. You can unveil the feat at an opportune time. IE: your player wanting the coutari, picked it up, took a few lessons and realized he was a natural. IE has the exotic weapon prof. feat.

Later, you can reveal that one of your players is a latent telepath, sleeper agent, natural pilot, crack shot, poet, or whatever the plot/character development dictates. Heck secretly grant one of the players the Wealthy feat. Then have some private investigators start nosing around making him/her nervous. Then when it all comes out, inform them a rich family member associated with a mob family died and they had to be sure who to give the money to, or some such.

Lots of possibilities. . . enjoy
Psyjack

psyclonejack said:
I concur, Sidney! And in the effort to grant a suggestion. The B5 universe always had something up its sleeve. It never told you the whole story until you where in the thick of things and then it jumped out at you, making you go AH-HA! Thats the reason for all the issues of the past. So give all your players a Blank Feat. And only you as the GM will know what it is. You can unveil the feat at an opportune time. IE: your player wanting the coutari, picked it up, took a few lessons and realized he was a natural. IE has the exotic weapon prof. feat.

Later, you can reveal that one of your players is a latent telepath, sleeper agent, natural pilot, crack shot, poet, or whatever the plot/character development dictates. Heck secretly grant one of the players the Wealthy feat. Then have some private investigators start nosing around making him/her nervous. Then when it all comes out, inform them a rich family member associated with a mob family died and they had to be sure who to give the money to, or some such.

Lots of possibilities. . . enjoy
Psyjack

Fair point. Just an aside - does a coutari really need an Exotic Weapon Proficiency? It only does 1d6 damage . . . mind you, so does a Denn'Bok.

Simon D. Taylor

BeronTheGrey said:
Fair point. Just an aside - does a coutari really need an Exotic Weapon Proficiency? It only does 1d6 damage . . . mind you, so does a Denn'Bok.

Surely a weapon is exotic only if it's outside your culture?

So for a Centauri Noble or any one in the ground forces the Coutari isn't, but for just about everyone else it would be.

frobisher said:
BeronTheGrey said:

Surely a weapon is exotic only if it's outside your culture?

So for a Centauri Noble or any one in the ground forces the Coutari isn't, but for just about everyone else it would be.
Well being a Scotsman and a Glaswegian the skeandu (sp?) and pint glass are weapons in my culture and I don't have a clue how best to wield them!

:D

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Well being a Scotsman and a Glaswegian the skeandu (sp?) and pint glass are weapons in my culture and I don't have a clue how best to wield them!

Ah well, the skeandu is merely for opening bottles with and the pint glass just sorta comes to you after you've emptied it enough :)

frobisher said:
lastbesthope said:

Ah well, the skeandu is merely for opening bottles with and the pint glass just sorta comes to you after you've emptied it enough :)

Well I do know one trick that halves the time it requires to 'bottle' someone with a sharp bottle or glass, and incidentally improves your chances of a critical wound. But I ain't sharing it, not on the boards, not nowhere. I've seen it used on occassion causing much loss of blood and even once, loss of a life.

Violence doesn't solve problems, or cause problems, it is the problem.

LBH

Back