Campaign fleet allocation

I was always under the impression that the Secundus' heavy arrays were particle weapons, and therefore included in the sidebar on SFoS pg 15, as being unable to fire on emplacements. I believe this because the Secundus is a deliberately poor design. Balvarix make better strike platforms, and you get the fleet defence benefits as well.

Interesting to note that two of the usual suspects are missing- Tertius and Prefect. The Magnii I've never really thought were worth it- eclipsed by more capable units in the same category.
The Sulust and Dargan share the same slightly brittle tendency. You can either be cautius and canny, or...what's the Centauri equivalent of 'Banzai' again?
The Maximus, I confidently predict will be a disappointment. They're tough but they have a large load of poor dice- there are a lot of ships at their level (and lower, see under 'Jashakar' and 'Missile Tethys') that can kill a Maximus faster than they can kill it.
Get them before they get you. The Centauri are a medium- survivability, high firepower fleet. Maximise the firepower, eliminate the enemy before he gets much of a chance to test your survivability.
The Octurion can pay off, provided you're not shy with it. Look at it this way; it's long range firepower isn't actually better than a Primus. It's close range, all round firepower is hugely better. What tactic does that suggest?

The Centauri fleet is a little light at the small end. You may find yourself out matched if you pull a few patrol level fights.

Ripple

A very nice Centauri fleet.

Considering theres only 2 Sullusts and 2 Corvans and no Tertius or Prefects.

The Magnus is kinda like a Prefect with a twist though. Not necessarily a good one, but it offers a nice difference. If you like the aft firepower.

Octurians arent bad at all. The all round firepower is very practical. If you drive it at the enemy, which might not be best in a campaign. But it does provide a nice deterrent so that yuour enemy might not coming close so much.

I actually like the Magnus. It's got hull 6, a fighter flight and rear weaponry while still packing similar weapons to the fore as the other main raid ships (Centurion and Dargan). It swaps firepower for survivability with the Dargan and its gains over the Centurion are obvious. A nice little design, I'd say, best used in smaller games.

As for this fleet, I'd lose a Primus or two and take more raid and skirmish ships. You'll need them if you keep rolling low level battles.

Lads,

Some good points made here. Firstly I agree that more skirmish ships are required. It completely escaped me that some lower level games will be fought during the course of the campaign. I'm a bit hesitant to turf a Primus hull so I'm going to drop one Sulust for two Darkners.

The Secundus, hmmmm....rather fond of this ship. 1. it has crushing medium/close firepower. 2. It's well protected and carries a good load of troops. The main weapon on this ship is a heavy array, I don't see it listed as a weapon that can't attack planetary targets, am I reading this right? Also the Primus hull (which I assume applies the the Secundus) can swap out 5 forward TL pariticle array for a mass driver making the Secundus (IMHO) the primier planetary assault ship.

Agree with katadder; The Magnus is an interesting ship, It's a ballanced design. I can engage at range with the rest of the "Beamers" but when the furball starts a Mag is better equiped to fight in a scrum, plus the 6 hull.

Overall when selecting the fleet I didn't want to rely on many or any of the "so called controversial" ships.

Cheerio!

The stat line just says 'heavy array'. Doesn't say anything about what it's an array of. The logical assumption is that it's a heavy version of the twin particle array, which definitely can't. It would be stupid for it not to be able to, but it would also be stupid for it not to have Shuttles, which it doesn't.
It can take the mass drivers; they're AP. On average, over two turns, you'll hit and kill twelve emplacements. If you allow the Heavy Arrays, Double, Twinlink against hull 5, that's another twelve per turn, six hits doubling up. Slow loading is the real problem.
It's also only half the job. At Battle level, say, once all the emplacements are gone that would leave twenty- five troops still alive on the planet, and the Secundus drops one a round. Does not compute.
I've never taken a planet by dropping troops, plural, on it. What has worked is bombarding the smeg out of the emplacements while simultaneously sending down every available Sentri to strafe the troops on the ground. When they are all dead or smouldering ruins, one troop unit takes posession, and that's all you need.
If you really want to make room, ditch the Octurion to begin with. Big ships are a lot easier come by in the course of the campaign than small ships are to replace; they are better got with Priority points to begin with, the biggies with RR. I always start a campaign, now, with a relatively light fleet list- 2-3 Battle, 2-3 Raid, and the rest Skirmish and Patrol.

it should also be noted that armageddon removs the turn limit for a planetary assault. you either assult until you win or or until you are driven off.

katadder said:
it should also be noted that armageddon removs the turn limit for a planetary assault. you either assult until you win or or until you are driven off.

Which means the Shadow Cloud can actually attack now, with some effect. Unlike previous battles :twisted:

Hi,

This may be an odd question, but is the only way to seize a planetary strategic target via the planetary assault scenario?

The impression I got from my first read through is that scenarios are randomly determined, and that planetary assault can only be a result for a ST with a planet. In other words, while you can only play Planetary Assault when there is a planet in the offing, you can take a planet ST by other means than Planetary Assault.

Am I missing something, or is this correct?

FMB

Back