CAF Question

If I start the turn out of range of a target can I do CAF on the hope I shall move into range or they will move into range of me, or can you only do CAF if the target is in range at the time.

It would seem reasonable to prepare for concnetrated fire on one ship even if they aren't in range yet.

How does everyone play this?

Kremmen

This hasn't come up in any game I've played. I would say you have to have a valid target (one within weapons range)at the beginning of the movement phase to use the special order.

I'd tend to agree with that. Also, I can't see a person wanting to CAF! on the off-chance the target would come into range, since that would prevent you from firing at anything else that was in range...

Captain Kremmen said:
If I start the turn out of range of a target can I do CAF on the hope I shall move into range or they will move into range of me, or can you only do CAF if the target is in range at the time.

It would seem reasonable to prepare for concnetrated fire on one ship even if they aren't in range yet.

How does everyone play this?

Kremmen

I would say yes, because you are bearing all weapons forward waiting for him to move into range.

Though anyone who knows you are out of range, and willingly wanders into your line of fire is asking for it (unless its a weak flank :D )

Thats not to say, you can fire. Only if the targert is in range

EDIT-Oh, and the other point. The Target could wander off, and the opponent can attack with another ship, knowing he cannot fire back :twisted:

Captain Kremmen said:
You declare SA in the Movement Phase, so you will already know if you have moved into range of him, but as for him moving into range of you...
I'd say yes, like everyone else, but that you can only fire, naturally, if the target comes into range.

But I can see this as an excellent area-denial weapon. You do NOT have to state what arc the target is in, so CaF! on a target and DARE him to close on your Zero-Speed crit Octurion... Or CaF! the target only a couple of inches out of range and force him to either suffer your fire or All Stop! Lots of possibilities...

Wulf

I'd say yes, you can declare the SA, if you end up not being in range or the other thing moves away, tyough luck you have wasted a turn of firing.

I have CAF'd on something only to discover I hadn't thought of a way to get out of it.

It can be a useful area denial tacvtic, CAf with a ship on a target to cover an area, that target may choose to stay out of that area rather than suffer the likely damage.

LBH

^Wouldn't this make the SA too powerful when used with any ship that had a non-boresight range of, say, 30" or longer?

Lowly Uhlan said:
^Wouldn't this make the SA too powerful when used with any ship that had a non-boresight range of, say, 30" or longer?

How, surely its like someone moving a ship. Then you moving your ship, and declaring CAF on the Target in your forward arc. Except this time, you are delaring it first. Like others have mentioned, its a good denial weapon.

Not if you can shoot the target, and most games I have played 30" was practically in range anyway after the first turn.

Besides your opponent can always taks the 'pawn sacrifice' and Manoeuvre to Shield Them!

I would allow CAF! to be declared on the off chance. The Caf!ing ship can only shoot at the declared target. If it is still in range after the movement phase. A lot to gain, but a lot to loose.

Perfectly valid. Is a natural no-brainer if for, example, a Victory Destroyer moves into range on its off-turn, unable to do anything but drift forward after firing its Lightning Cannon. It might not be in range now, but you know EXACTLY where it will be.

Perfectly valid order, in this circumstance, at minimum.

Allowing CAF to be declared without a valid target just seems a little cheesy. It would play like an overwatch in space. It's balanced though, since the ship calling the CAF is taking such a risk (no other legal targets). I wonder if anyone's actually played CAF like that before.

Lowly Uhlan said:
Allowing CAF to be declared without a valid target just seems a little cheesy. It would play like an overwatch in space. It's balanced though, since the ship calling the CAF is taking such a risk (no other legal targets). I wonder if anyone's actually played CAF like that before.

I actually meant CAF'ng a ship thats out of range, or yet to move. But if you meant; "CAF'ng something that has yet to appear in arc", then I would say no! :wink:

'Six Timbers' Reaverman said:
I actually meant CAF'ng a ship thats out of range, or yet to move. But if you meant; "CAF'ng something that has yet to appear in arc", then I would say no! :wink:

Well why not? There is nothing in the rules to say you can't!

You can CAF anything you like. If it ends its turn out of range or arc, tough luck on you, you can't change your mind and you can't shoot anything else!

Also, there is nothing meaner then when someone CAFs your vessel while it is out of range/arc, hoping you will move in, and you All Stop.

Heh heh heh...the pendulum swings both ways.

Bry

He's then forced your ship to remain where it is and quite possinly negated its firepower along with his own.

Destroying an enemy unit isn't the only way to nuetralise the threat it represents.

Nothing meaner than when someone CAFs you, so you bring other ships in close, since they can't be attacked... and your first volley gets a "no special orders" crit... oh dear he can shoot me now noooooooo!!!!!

Nothing meaner than when someone CAFs you, so you bring other ships in close, since they can't be attacked... and your first volley gets a "no special orders" crit... oh dear he can shoot me now noooooooo!!!!!

Wow...that has not happened at any table that I was sitting around, but I do think that I would shoot Guinness/Soda/Tea out of my nose at the time if it did!

Bry

Whats that? you caffed on my ship that may or may not move into your arc.. look it did, now eat Ion mine!

Back