CAF Question

Captain Hash said:
'Six Timbers' Reaverman said:
I actually meant CAF'ng a ship thats out of range, or yet to move. But if you meant; "CAF'ng something that has yet to appear in arc", then I would say no! :wink:

Well why not? There is nothing in the rules to say you can't!

I meant to say, you can't declare CAF without a target. As in CAF your ship, and then declare the target later. As in, you can't "CAF an opportunity"

Yellow Beard hiffano said:
Whats that? you caffed on my ship that may or may not move into your arc.. look it did, now eat Ion mine!

Or "All weapons open fire! What do you mean comm-disruptors?"

Cap'n Silvereye said:
Whats that? you caffed on my ship that may or may not move into your arc.. look it did, now eat Ion mine!

Or "All weapons open fire! What do you mean comm-disruptors?"
"That little thing cancelled my CAF? Well, shoot it, now that we can shoot whatever we like!"

interesting point there Burger, IF a ship cafs, then looses it's soecial orders ability AFTER the order was given, can it, as you say, then open fire at what it wants from whichever arc it wants? hmmmm

Yes when a ship loses a special order, it loses both the advantages and disadvantages.
Ref: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17883

so not necesarily the smartest thing to do knocking caf out as you could endanger more ships, hmmmm. worth pondering. sod it, i'll play brakiri. . . I caf your Tashkat... i'll see you a caf and raise you a gravitic shifter, oh darn, look, i'm now in the wrong ark!

so not necesarily the smartest thing to do knocking caf out as you could endanger more ships, hmmmm. worth pondering. sod it, i'll play brakiri. . . I caf your Tashkat... i'll see you a caf and raise you a gravitic shifter, oh darn, look, i'm now in the wrong ark!

Yep,

I scouted Burger's whitestars, managed to get one redirected attack in. Then lost my Sho'Kars, and redirected fire....darn those pesky Whitestars :lol:

Mongoose Steele said:
Nothing meaner than when someone CAFs you, so you bring other ships in close, since they can't be attacked... and your first volley gets a "no special orders" crit... oh dear he can shoot me now noooooooo!!!!!

Wow...that has not happened at any table that I was sitting around, but I do think that I would shoot Guinness/Soda/Tea out of my nose at the time if it did!

Bry

This has happened quite a few times in games Ive played. Enemy player takes advantage of the protection provided by CAF and then gets the no SA crit before the ship can fire.

Captain Kremmen said:
If I start the turn out of range of a target can I do CAF on the hope I shall move into range or they will move into range of me

No reason why not - though your opponent will know, and will likely take steps to avoid it!

So it's legal. That will probably lead to some interesting games. For some reason playing it like that reminds me of a sniper hanging in a window in a WWII game, waiting for a shot. Probably a good tactic at long range. Playing the CAF like that at short ranges could be hazardous.

Sorry Guys,

I really just thought of this one day and wondered what the answer was. I wasn't trying to invent a really cheesy tactic.

Cpt Kremen

Captain Kremmen said:
Sorry Guys,

I really just thought of this one day and wondered what the answer was. I wasn't trying to invent a really cheesy tactic.

Cpt Kremen

Not cheesy, just different ;)

Captain Kremmen said:
Sorry Guys,

Cpt Kremen

And you didn't invent it, you just came to the same realisation amny of us old hands have :lol:

LBH

Captain David the Denied said:
Not a good plan if you're wanting to launch fighters, though...

*thinking about an Omega here*

Of course, no special order besides Scramble Scramble is. Calling a CAF with an Omega would take out your heavy lasers anyway.

And you didn't invent it, you just came to the same realisation amny of us old hands have

Have you played CAF as an area denial tactic before, LBH?

Lowly Uhlan said:
Captain David the Denied said:
Not a good plan if you're wanting to launch fighters, though...

*thinking about an Omega here*

Of course, no special order besides Scramble Scramble is. Calling a CAF with an Omega would take out your heavy lasers anyway.

Except in certain circumstances, which are often slightly contrived, but a pre boresighted target that All Stops/Speed 0 crit, or when orbiting are two reasonable situations where CAF would not prohibit boresight.

Lowly Uhlan said:
And you didn't invent it, you just came to the same realisation amny of us old hands have

Have you played CAF as an area denial tactic before, LBH?

Only accidentally as in my opponent thinks

"Silly LBH, CAFing on my (ship) I'll just not move it intop the arc"

but it is a viable tactic. Especially to cover another ship.

:lol:

Only accidentally as in my opponent thinks

"Silly LBH, CAFing on my (ship) I'll just not move it intop the arc"

but it is a viable tactic. Especially to cover another ship.

Laughing

I agree - it helps encourage people to view their forces as a fleet, not just individual ships.

We've always played like that so no change here.

Surprised to hear anyone hadn't had the SA stripped off before like that. God the number of times I thought my little Warbirds were safe only to be followed by 'oops' from my allies.

Ripple

Back