Beyond Black River... or Thunder River... or, huh?

Yuan-Ti

Mongoose
Okay, according to the map in the book, Westermarck is between the Black River (West) and Thunder River (East). Most other maps floating around out there (including a great one ofthe Westermarck) put it on the east bank of the Thunder River.

So, uh, which is more right?

BhilJhoanz said:
Vincent Darlage addressed this issue on his website. You can read his opinion here along with his own map of the Westermarck

That is the one I find most authoritative. Of course, now I have to remember in tonight's session that they are marching along the Thunder River... not the Black River.

That will be tough since I already printed my adventure but now I can rename it to "Drums Along the Thunder" :D

Thanks guys!

Yuan-Ti said:
That will be tough since I already printed my adventure but now I can rename it to "Drums Along the Thunder" :D

LOL! :lol: You poor, poor thing. Let me know if you want help on how to work the Replace function, so you don't end up with a Mongoose-like snafu. :wink:

Good question though, and nice answers. I had already found Vincent's map on his Web site, but as I am currently re-reading the REH stories for the first time in 20 years, I have to simply trust Vincent's knowledge of the matter.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

The Westermarck does not lie between Thunder and Black River. The western edge of the Westermarck is Thunder River. Only Conajohara lay between Thunder and Black, and it was taken back by the Picts.

If I may quote REH, 'No; Conajohara is lost to Aquilonia. The frontier has been pushed back. Thunder River will be the new border.' (Beyond the Black River)

I am not sure why so many maps erroneously place the Westermarck between the Thunder and Black rivers. In Wolves Beyond the Border, Howard does indicate that there is an unnamed Bossonian river on the east of the Westermarck, so it is bound by two rivers for at least part of its length.

But the Westermarck does not have the Black River as a border. Aquilonia tried that, and the Picts pushed them back.

VincentDarlage said:
The Westermarck does not lie between Thunder and Black River. The western edge of the Westermarck is Thunder River. Only Conajohara lay between Thunder and Black, and it was taken back by the Picts.

If I may quote REH, 'No; Conajohara is lost to Aquilonia. The frontier has been pushed back. Thunder River will be the new border.' (Beyond the Black River)

I am not sure why so many maps erroneously place the Westermarck between the Thunder and Black rivers. In Wolves Beyond the Border, Howard does indicate that there is an unnamed Bossonian river on the east of the Westermarck, so it is bound by two rivers for at least part of its length.

But the Westermarck does not have the Black River as a border. Aquilonia tried that, and the Picts pushed them back.

Like I said Vincent, I trust your expertise. :D

Very nice with the examples from REH canon.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Thanks, Vincent, for the clarification! Will the Road of Kings have a new map in it???

Btw, Drums Along the Thunder, part 1 went rather well. The PCs briefly considered fleeing when the second wave of 10 picts showed up and there were still 6 of the original wave standing. :D But they stuck it out and, with a little help from 4 NPCs (two of whom really only managed to soak up some attacks before expiring on the shores of the Thunder River) -- they managed to kill 22 Picts without losing any PCs. Gave them a fright but also a sense of accomplishment after the battle.

For fun I recorded a sound bite from the Last of the Mohicans of Mohawk war cries (or what passes for them in the movie) and played that in a constant loop during the battle. :)

It is my understanding that there will be a map with Road of Kings, but I don't know much more than that about the final map.

Last of the Mohicans is a good inspiration for the Picts. I am glad the game went well! I love Pict adventures.

VincentDarlage said:
Last of the Mohicans is a good inspiration for the Picts. I am glad the game went well! I love Pict adventures.

I must give it a try myself, I love the Picts too. :)

Sounds like a tough battle was fought in your game Yuan-Ti, very cool.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Back