Battlefield Evo - Squad Question

KeithMc

Mongoose
Just wondering if the Battlefield evo rules will be enforcing the usual 'Minimum 5 men per squad' rule that seems something of a gaming standard. Will it be possible to field smaller squads of 3-4?

Keith Mc

I hope so, mainly because I want to use a GRG squad wich is only 3 men (gunner, loader and ammo carrier).

I hope we will see some more flexible units that is, though I have no idea if we will see 'em.

Suppose this leads on to how much detail there will be in the Stats for the different units? Are they all going to be armed with what is basically a Morita from Starship Troopers?

I can see endless discussions of whether say, the Steyr AUG or the SA80 are better/have better range/have better penetration/whatever. Never mind the contentious issue of which should have better unit stats - SEALs, SAS, Spetznaz, SBS? :twisted:

Mongoose will need to be good diplomats to get through this without a fair few flame wars :)

Keith Mc

The playtest group for BF:Evo is made up of current and ex military folks...

So I think they've gotten the penetration/range/accuracy thing down...

Hiromoon said:
The playtest group for BF:Evo is made up of current and ex military folks...

So I think they've gotten the penetration/range/accuracy thing down...

I suppose what I'm really wondering is how different will the profiles be. Emperorpenguin and I met up in the local games shop the other day and one of the conclusions we came to was that if they use the ranges from SST for this game it will be very weird. A Tank looks to be what 6"-8" inches long? And a rifle has a range of what, 20"?

(By the way I don't intend this as a flame or a gripe its just me thinking aloud)
Keith Mc

I didn't take it as a flame, dude...so no worries.

You're better off pestering Shotgun-toting Chipmunk with these kinds of questions really.

As it stands though, my FLG is excited...and since most of his clientele are military/exmilitary/government/contractors, this game is gonna go like HOTCAKES.

Hmm, for range/penetration they can use the manufactorers stats. I think more trouble would come over reliability. Also SF stats (or even army stats- imagine the furore if USMC grunts had lower stats than the Europeans or vice versa) will be tricky. I can also see a lot of trouble in balancing the Europeans- are Royal Marines better than the French 2nd Para? Is GIGN better than the SAS? etc If you made them similar then it sort of removes the point (ie if a French infantryman is as good as a German how do you make them different- only really on weapons). Still, it should be interesting.

Hiromoon said:
As it stands though, my FLG is excited...and since most of his clientele are military/exmilitary/government/contractors, this game is gonna go like HOTCAKES.

it has the potential to be really big, I'm really excited about it (hell I've stopped thinking about Eldar, and that takes some doing!)

Hiromoon said:
Well, I could make you stop thining about Eldar...but it involves a blunt object. :D

I doubt it, given that my first thoughts after being messed up in a car accident were "bugger I'm going to miss playtesting A Call To Arms now!" :wink:

Hiromoon said:
I didn't take it as a flame, dude...so no worries.
Thanks, best to be safe unless you want to get beaned with a rolled up news paper

Hiromoon said:
You're better off pestering Shotgun-toting Chipmunk with these kinds of questions really.
Well if a Shotgun-toting Chipmunk wants to chime in he's welcome any time. I was just thinking it would be difficult to get much meaningful variation between different firearms with the current SST rules.

Hiromoon said:
I think so yes. I know one or two ex-soldiers here in Ireland who are very interested at the prospect. Hell, I know quite a few people who are just interested in all things military who will just buy it for the models if they come out as well as promised...

As I said on another thread though its going to be a while (probably) before they get around to doing models that can even be re-painted as Irish Defence forces. Austrain Infantry? Australian Infantry (they use the Steyr, right?)? Panard Tanks?!?!? Well they might do a Scorpion (or the Sabre which is the newer variant I think).

Hmmm, this game has probably caught my attention more than the SST relaunch. I suppose Mongoose don't care much which we get into as long as they get all of our disposable income! :)

Keith Mc

KeithMc said:
I was just thinking it would be difficult to get much meaningful variation between different firearms with the current SST rules.

well let's see the SA80 should get the accurate trait because it is, but suffers a jam on aroll of 1-5 during reactions! :lol:

Hiromoon said:
Heh...yeah. Then there's compatability between the two systems...

Watching the MEA taking on the bugs should be fun. Hell, watching the USMC taking on the bugs would be a blast - after all with the Abrams they probably have better Armour than the MI! :)

If nothing else the compatibilty between systems should help sales since you don't necessary need friends who collect the same game system in order to have a game.

After an initial day or two of shock I'm liking these plans more and more. It's a pity its not out sooner, I had planned to do some demos of SST at Gaelcon in October but it doesn't look like there will be anything to demo this year. I'll almost definitely do some demos of Battlefield Evo at Leprecon next Febuary though.

Keith Mc

emperorpenguin said:
KeithMc said:
I was just thinking it would be difficult to get much meaningful variation between different firearms with the current SST rules.

well let's see the SA80 should get the accurate trait because it is, but suffers a jam on aroll of 1-5 during reactions! :lol:

This is exactly what I was talking about - once the game launches there will be endless debate over the stats for different stuff!

The SA80 story I keep thinking of was back when the war in Afganistan was at its peak and the Royal Marines were complaining that the F****er of an SA80 keep jamming in the dust. The English Government sent a team out to do a study which reported back that the Royal Marines were not cleaning the guns correctly. Now I may not know that much about the Royal Marines but I do know this - They can CLEAN A RIFLE!!! :)

Keith Mc

Hiromoon said:
Go demo SST dude! Mongoose is still going to produce the current miniatures still.

I wouldn't feel right suggesting new players get into the game when I know there is a new version just over the hill.

Keith Mc

There's two things...

1> SST:Evo <- Skimish style of game I know BF:Evo is being touted as supporting up to the brigade level, but seriously.... SST was made for the MASSIVE games.
2> SST <- The regular version is getting some rules tweaks here and there, but is largely remaining unchanged. Basically, they're cleaning up the wording..

Back