Battle on the Rim - Results!

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Our new venue of the Croft Sports Centre for larger events seems to be working really well (with only one person getting lost!), and this tournament, from our perspective, was the best yet. Everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves, getting to grips with both the new edition and new scenarios.

Anyway, on to what you are all waiting for - the results! And an interesting spread it is. . .

1. Scott Young; Gaim; 84 points
2. Tristan Lomas; Earth Alliance Third Age; 79 points
3. Steve Wilson; Gaim; 69 points
4. Dave Robotham; Centauri; 67 points
5. James Coote; Centauri; 65 points
6. Ben Allen; Centauri; 59 points
7. Peter Perry; ISA; 52 points
8. Ken Chambers; Dilgar; 51 points
9. Neil Hopkins; Centauri; 50 points
10. Andrew Gardner; Narn; 50 points
11. Charles Lister; Centauri; 50 points
12. Greg Smith; Narn; 48 points
13. Nicholas Curd; Drazi; 46 points
14. Paul Meridith; Vree; 42 points
15. Robert Soutar; Minbari; 42 points
16. Richard Carr; Shadows; 41 points
17. Simon Atkinson; Centauri; 41 points
18. John Greet; ISA; 34 points
19. Paul Eyles; Minbari; 34 points
20. Joseph Osborne; Earth Alliance Third Age; 31 points
21. Jim Stone; Narn; 28 points
22. Geoff Curran; Minbari; 24 points
23. Scott Curran; pak'ma'ra; 21 points
24. Simon Hall; Minbari; 19 points

Well done, one and all - I saw some great playing today.

The next CTA event is going to be a big 'un. Based on the hypothetical war in the Lost Tales between the Earth Alliance and Centauri, we are going to be hosting a mega-campaign as the galaxy goes to war - possibly over two days. Both sides will be gathering their allies, while some governments will look to their own interests, and only lend aid to the highest bidder.

A Grand Admiral will be nominated by each team, who will control the resources available, try to convince other governments to lend a hand, and decide the overall tactics for each sector - it will be up to individual fleet commanders to carry the day though!

We have lots of great ideas for this event, and it will most certainly not be a competitive day, the focus will very much be on fun. So, for those who have avoided our tournaments thus far because you want to play for fun, not prizes, this is the one for you.

That said, there will be some cool medals awarded to the winning side :) We will also likely create a new ship for the future timeline for the winning government.

More news about this as it comes!

I used raid queen ship, 2 skirmish queen ships, 2 assault ships, 1 war carrier.
both gaim players won 1st 3 games 20-0 and we had only lost one ship in the 6 games. game 4 was between the Gaim and the luck went to scott making lots of CA checks and a 9 beam hit (with 2AD beam) on my queen (which effectively won him the game) but was a good game. seems no one but Gaim could beat the Gaim.

As one of the many and varied representative of the Glorious Centauri republic I fielded the following:)

Liati, Balvarian (4 Raziks, 4 Sentri), MAXIMUS!, Demos, Demos, Corvan,

Game 1 - Vs LBH - (ISA - 5 White Stars - 2 scout versions) - 20 -0

As ever fun game - partly due to his fascination with trying to kill my Corvan and after some bad beam dice, my Liati and Demos killed three White stars and were nicely placed to finish the others when Time called. I lost the Corvan in the end.

Game 2 - vs Scott Young - Gaim - lost 0 -20

Never played them before, failed to head advice of opponent to charge at All ahead full " to have a chance"
I conceeded (not the only one) at start of turn 3 with a crippled Liati and Demos, 1 dead Demos and still being at least a turn away from actually being able to fire at anything. 37 dice of AP energy mines a turn having hammered my ships even on Close blast doors.
A good lesson to me I think. :)

Game 3 Centauri (James?)

Vs Liati, 4 Vorchan, 2 Kutai and some Sentris - lost 3 -17

Clashed in the centre - found that dust cloud did not help his stealth :) Turn 3 saw both Liait's vapourised in massive explosions which set the scnes for the next two turns as ships were smashed in wonderful exchanges of fire. He captured the ship in the middle (oh yeah the scenario :) ) with his two remaining Kutai as I closed with my Maximus on them and fighters were battering his remaining Vorchan - Huge FUN!

Game 4 vs Narn - Jim - win 20 -0

2 Raid level ships and some skirmish ships - sorry All narn look alike :)

Most embarresing game - THREE 6,6 criticals on Jims ships on the first turn set the scene as my dice seemed unable to roll anything but a 6 for the next two turns. Jim was a tremedous sport about the whole thing as I scored more and more hits - 5 criticials from one 6 dice hit alone. Consequently the Narn fleet vanished in 3 turns as his beams rolled constant 1 and 2s. I don't think I have ever said sorry as much in a game :oops: . Jim killed the maximus :cry: but lost the rest except one damaged scout and we called it.

NB: The first firing on the whole game was a Rutarian fighter that Jim reminded me to fire - couple of damage from the guns on his Raid level ships follwoed by a 6,6 crit from the Ion bolt - dead Raid ship

Jim - A great player and sport - thank you

Excellent day - enjoyed it immensley - met lots of fun people and blew up stuff - thank you to all who helped organise and my opponents :)[/b]

msprange said:
7. Peter Perry; ISA; 52 points

ISA fleet
2 WS (IAS VAnessa, IAS Paul)
3 WS-2 (IAS Nathan, IAS Shane, IAS Cooper)

Game 1(Space Superiority), vs Centauri (Da Boss) 0-20 (Centauri win)
Game 2 (Call to Arms) vs Centauri 7-13 (Centauri win)
Game 3 (Rescue) vs Minbari (Leshath, Tinashi, Teshlan, Tigara IIRC )20-0 (ISA win) (Stealth, what stealth :?: )
Game 4 (Planetfall) vs ISA 17-3 (John Greet) 3 WS, 2 Nolo'Tar, 3 Blue Star, flight of Furies) (My ISA won)

Max sportsmanship points for a total of 52, placed 7th of 24 (Personal best)

Got my backside handed to me in the first game, had bad dice all game. Of note I believe it was this opponent who let me reroll a whole lot of damage against my WS as I'd forgotten to do my CBD, it still killed the WS in question, but it's the thought that counts. My thanks

Not much better dice in the second game though I learned from my mistakes and improved.

3rd game vs Minbari feared the stealth though it appeared that the Minbos forgot to turn it on, took down a Raid ship (either the Teshlan or the Tigaran) in Turn 1, finished off the Tinashi in Turn 2. Let's just say my Beam dice were working exceptionally well at that point, as were my dodges. Of particular note was WS-1 IAS Vanessa, couldn't finsih her off at all. Killed off the other 2 ships in a couple more turns to sweepthe board.

GAme 4, ISA on ISA, I might haveopted for a siumilar fleet had I painted the minis I have, but no, and glad I hadn't, my WS did well, and I snuck a troop down on planet at the end of the last turn for a 10 VP bonus turning a 13-7 into a 17-3.

Had a great day and quite literally couldn't believe how well I'd done at the end. Looks like I'm finally learning how to use WS properly. Count me in for the campaign tourney though I hope Matthew sorts out who's fighting for who, since he had the ISA helping the Centauri at one point :lol:

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Of note I believe it was this opponent who let me reroll a whole lot of damage against my WS as I'd forgotten to do my CBD, it still killed the WS in question, but it's the thought that counts. My thanks

LBH

Yep my pleasure:) I know that all of my opponent s today would have done and in the past have done similar things and that is what has made the tournis so enjoyable.

Indeed DB, I have done the same myself in the past. ALl my games were most enjoyable today, especially against the Minbari :p

Bonus point to anyone who wasn't at the tournament who spots the theme in my ship names.....

LBH

I came in 4th Place with Centauri...

I ran the following...

8 x Demos
16 x Sentri Flights

Not subtle at all but it did the job.

My 1st game was against James James Coote's Centauri (Liati, Vorchans, Kutais and fighters). After some long range missle fire on turn 1 being pretty ineffective the two fleets closed and brawled it out up very close and very personal. The Liati failed a good few dodge roll bringing it's demise within a couple of turns and the effective 3 interceptors on each Demos allowed them to weather the return fire from James's Centauri.

20-0

Game 2 was against Tristan Lomas and his EA 3rd Age fleet (Omega, Nova, Avenger, Olympus, Hermes and fighters). The game started with little fireing as the Ea fleet stayed as far back as possible. The majority of the DEmos sped towards the lone Omega and after a turn or firing had destroyed the engines setting the ship adrift and removed its ability to repair critical effects. The EA fighter swarm was able to overcome the Centauri swarm in the center of the table. The game came to a close due to time being called. At the end of the game 3 Demos were destroyed along with 14 flights of Centri. The EA had lost a Hermes, the Olympus and the Avenger was hanging on 1 damage point. I reckon this would have developed into quite an interesting game if time had not been called. As it was I came away with a loss, but it was still a great game.

3-17

Game 3 was against Greg Smith and his monster G'Vrahn Narn fleet. The game started with little firing except from the massed fore firepower of the G'vrahn which now I think back on it didn't do as much as I feared (mainly due to some very unlucky beam rolls). Turn 2 was the pivitol turn... The G'Vrahn again failed to make too much of an impact on the game (it had mauled several Demos I think but had failed to kill any by this point). 4 Demos teamed up to take down the War level ship. 24 dice of Light Balistic Torpedoes and 40 dice of Ion cannon later and the G'Vrah was still looking very healthy except for some very annoying critical effects... It was Adrift and had no Port or Starboard arcs.

The next turn came around and the Demos swept around the flank of the Narn Warship and continued pouring fire into it. Only 40 dice of Ion Cannon this time but they were able to Cripple it this turn. And finally in turn 4 they took it down. The rest of the Narn Fleet had been dealt with by any Demos not targeting the G'Vrahn.

20-0

The 4th and final game of the day was against Ken Chambers and his Dilgar fleet of huge nasty assault ships (A Wahant, some Khatriks and a horde of Jashakar Vi). I made a very stupid mistake at the start of this game... I thought it would be sensible to send 3 Demos straight towards the Dilgar Fleet whilst the rest snuck around an asteroid field and hit the Dilgar from behind.

Needless to say the thee Demos tasked with combating the Wahant/Kahtrik/Khatrick squadron melted under a hail of Bolter and missle fire. However the 5 sneaky Deoms managed to get behind the main Dilgar fleet and were able to Destroy the Wahant within a couple of tunrs followed by a Khatrik the next turn. A plethora of exploding ships towards the end of the game inflicted serious amounts of damage, destroying one Demos and heavily damaging a few of the Jashakas. Time was called just as the remaining Demos were moving in for the kill. But it was still a great game with tons of dice being thrown by both sides... also who gives ships aft arc missles... really!!

17-3

The 16 flights of Sentris were a bonus and a pain as well. They gave up crazy amounts of VP's but were very useful to have around. I would probably look at swapping in a Balvarin. Also I noticed a lack of any really big scary beam fleets. Maybe it was because I was using 8 small ships I didn't notice or care too much if one of them was sliced in half. Also I didn't get to play against on of the Gaim fleets, that would have been an experience.

All in all a great day out, a super turn out and loads of enjoyable games played.

msprange said:
20. Joseph Osborne; Earth Alliance Third Age; 31 points

Well yeh 20th is not bad it was my first game of 2e with a fleet i had never used before even in 1e. So to get those 31 pts was great.

I used:

1 omega
1 Nova
2 Olympus
1 Hyperion Assult
1 Oracle

I have to say that the omegas beam did not work untill the last game when all hell was let loose upon the centauri. Scoring a total of i think 14 hits from an original 2 dice. I lost ths game but oh well. Beams are not the potent force anymore its lots and lots of attack dice you need to worry about.

Chernobyl said:
did anybody in the top 8 play against the gaim? (except the gaim players of course...)

dont believe any of them did cos no one but Gaim could have beat the Gaim.
top placed player who played Gaim (and wasnt gaim) was neil hopkins at 9th (i think but i dont know all scotts opponents).

Lord David the Denied said:
Hat's off to Triggy for taking the second place spot for our new club. Next time we'll have first... :twisted:

he was just lucky to not get pulled against the Gaim ;) plus some how pull a win against his mate Ben who seemed to be in a commanding position.

katadder said:
Chernobyl said:
did anybody in the top 8 play against the gaim? (except the gaim players of course...)

dont believe any of them did cos no one but Gaim could have beat the Gaim.
top placed player who played Gaim (and wasnt gaim) was neil hopkins at 9th (i think but i dont know all scotts opponents).

Looking at it mathematically,since we know the Gaim scored 10 points in their first 3 games, noone with more than 68 points could have played against the Gaim(excluding the Gaim themselves), of course that only rules out the 2nd place finisher :lol:

I never said maths had all the answers.

LBH

IIRC - both Neil and I played them and ended up on same points - I think we both conceeded on the same turn as well :)

Back