Battery powered Starship weapons?

1. Yes.

2. Accuracy.

3. Damage.

4. But, but since the Sydney was lost with all hands, we don't know why they broke protocol and approached that close.

5. Since this would be in the couple of hundred tonnes scale, and depending on the technological level, try mounted missile racks, plus some ground scale weapons, which theoretically won't require any power points.

Pop up barbette would be, in theory, ten tonnes.

You could enclose it, in theory, under an exterior cargo framework, which has explosive bolts.

1. The idea is to shoot up the upper works with high explosives, taking out the bridge, electronics, and personnel.

2. Torpedoes to penetrate the hull, and if not outright sink the ship, take out the generators and the engines; maybe the magazines.

3. If there are canon designs with six tonne pop up barbettes, I must have missed them, but please let me know who they are, and where I can find them.

Since I don't have a copy of, or any, Journals, I can't comment.

At five times the volume of a default turret, setting aside only a tonne for that machinery for a barbette, seems a tad inadequate.

The article on the Latien Q ship does give it pop up barbettes, but it is not clear where the rule authorizing this actually comes from. They clearly took the Pop Up Turret entry and applied to to barbettes on the theory that a barbette is just a bigger turret. Which is kinda/sorta true, but is definitely a stretch. Turrets can do a lot of things that barbettes can't and "pop up mounts" are not mentioned in High Guard as something barbettes can do. The only place anything like that is mentioned is that "adjustable hull" ships (which the Latien isn't) have all weapons (not just turrets) as popup by default. That said, it's a published thing and, even if it wasn't, you could do it in your campaign.

To answer your actual question about batteries, yes, you can have batteries to power your weapons for only a couple shots and build your weapons mounts in concealed compartments.

Note that just because something is in JTAS that doesn't make it canon, there have been many article both in the original GDW JTAS, the GT JTAS, and now the MgT JTAS that are fanon and IMTU things rather than official add ons to the core books.

Now for pop up turrets, I would make it so a pop up mechanism has the same displacement as the turret or barbette that is going to "pop up".

As to batteries powering weapons, yup perfectly allowable and a good way to hide your combat potential.

According to High Guard (MgT 1e, MgT 2e & 2020 revision) a barbette "consumes additional tonnage inside the ship, as its larger weapons need
more space for capacitors, targeting mechanisms, ammunition feeds and other components.". As I read it, the 'external' part of a barbette is the same size than a turret (maybe twice) and the remainding volume is already internal, so don't need to be retractable.. But unfortunately no hard evidence in a core book.

Firmpointed barbettes with missiles and torpedoes need an additional two tonnes, so it's hard to get an actual handle on them.

Note that just because something is in JTAS that doesn't make it canon, there have been many article both in the original GDW JTAS, the GT JTAS, and now the MgT JTAS that are fanon and IMTU things rather than official add ons to the core books.

Now for pop up turrets, I would make it so a pop up mechanism has the same displacement as the turret or barbette that is going to "pop up".

As to batteries powering weapons, yup perfectly allowable and a good way to hide your combat potential.
Yes, Matt has outright said that sometimes things in their Journals are trials to see if a particular idea is popular and worth including in the future core.

In the cargo hold.

The mesons phase through intervening matter.

They'll never see it coming, but could be spooked when you turn your nose towards them.

The absolute definitely High Guard compliant way is to build your ship with an adjustable hull. Then you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise, decide what makes sense to you, whether that is barbettes are too bulky for pop ups or they are not and it takes 1+ tons of additional space for the mechanism.

I remember that JTAS ship.

Assuming most of the machinery is inside the hull, and only the turret and barrels poke out, I could definitely see pop-up barbettes as consuming just one additional dton.

As for the battery powered aspect, it sounds like a great idea!

It occurs to me whether you can turn a skinny dispersed configuration, into a slim streamlined hull, with adjustable hull.

I understand that. I was just pointing out that if you were concerned about the rules as written, which is absolutely not required, then barbettes pop up from adjustable hulls. Otherwise, since there is no formal rule, so go with what works for you.

Exactly. That's why I expressed it the way I did. Some people really want to be in compliance with the RAW. Like you, I think that's useful but not binding.

The Latien article does not contain a new written rule, so I don't know whether the author intended a new rule or did not realize that the rules as written do not have pop up barbettes.

I personally wouldn't use pop up barbettes, but that has to do with preferences I have about how deadly ship combats are expected to be. I don't think it's unreasonable to have pop up barbettes in as a general concept and it isn't my table anyway. :D

Or you can use a Pop-up triple turret armed with Very High Yield pulse lasers. Cheaper than a barbette, use less energy/tons, same TL and still a nasty bite for a pirate.

The barbette will do more damage because of the damage multiples rule. But there are some very nasty options even with turrets, certainly.

Back