B5 Lost Tales Update with Photos and serious detail

djclark

Mongoose
December 1, 2006

As I write this, we have finished principal photography on "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales," coming in under budget and finishing a full day ahead of schedule.

This first DVD, entitled "Voices in the Dark," covers the same 72 hour period of time as Sheridan travels on board a Presidential Cruiser en route to Babylon 5 from Minbar for a celebration marking the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Interstellar Alliance. One part of the story follows Sheridan as he picks up an unexpected visitor on the edge of Centauri space, Prince Regent Dius Vintari, and a warning about what will come afterward delivered by the techno- mage, Galen. The other part of the story is set aboard Babylon 5, as Colonel Lochley summons a priest from Earth space to deal with a problem that may have dark supernatural overtones. The two parts of the greater story intersect at certain key plot and thematic points, so that they overlap and complement each other while telling separate, but simultaneous, stories.

The first DVD is going to require nearly 200 EFX shots, taking us all over Alliance space, and Babylon 5, which is being redesigned using the latest CGI technology. The same CGI is being used to create virtual sets a la Sin City, but on an even more detailed basis, in many cases integrating them with practical sets based on the original blueprint designs for Babylon 5.

A number of behind-the-scenes pieces were shot for inclusion on the DVD, as well as a number of original short pieces that will be filmed in February which feature glimpses into the future of Babylon 5 and her characters.

We have set-up a temporary webpage of photos from the shoot from my personal collection. These images mark the very first photos to emerge from production.

http://babylon5scripts.com/TLT-JMS-photos.html

For more information, keep an eye on www.babylon5.com as well as Babylon5scripts.com. WB will be integrating the internet as a key component for promoting B5:TLT and we are pleased to be a part of that effort.

JMS

I'm glad they didn't go down the route of fitting the storys in existing continuity. They are new storys after the B5 arc, which sounds good.

Looking darn good :D

Also here's hoping this will slow down release schedelude of B5 scripts a bit. Odd hope that but since I just realised I can finally start ordering these I need bit of help to catch up :lol:

9 books at 40$ each means I'll be very busy trying to find myself enough money to catch up. Add new books...I'm affraid I will miss book 15 :cry:

Well. No new SST models for me for a while...

I can't wait to see what kind of "future" they write up. Everything just seems to stagnate with the Drakh plague.

(Course I never got to finish the mini series to see if they found a cure!)

Does JMS look older to anyone else but me? I mean... he had color in some of his hair before... so what is the deal?

Also, that Centauri prince looks as old as me.

JMS, pick me! I wanna be in B5! You're not old... I was just talkin'. C'mon man!

Erm well, this may sound kind of obvious but JMS IS older! Its been over 10 years since B5 and most of the DVD interviews were about 4 or 5 years ago I believe. Almost didnt recognise him without his moustache though!

All this is sounding very cool though, cant wait!

I'm not looking forward to it, I think its going to be one big let down. Lets face it, after season 4 it was all down hill.

Season 5....Mediocre
Crusade....Less than average
Legend of the Rangers.....OMFG my TV has Smellavision!

Gotta admit, i'm very sceptical, season 5 on the whole was sub standard, although it did have the odd good episode. Crusade had loads of potential and was very dissapointing, and LOTR, well, umm, yeah. . . . My only hope is that a 5 year gap has helped focus JMS onto what B5 was loved for, and that he recaptures that, but I'll have to wait and see. To be honest, I would have liked a miniseries about say the telepath war, or the dilgar, instead of re-visiting characters, although would have been cool to see garibaldis early days i suppose.

Oh Im sure it will turn out to be a huge letdown but goddamn it it's still B5 ;).

And even crap B5 is still better than no B5 in my book :)

Reaverman said:
I'm not looking forward to it, I think its going to be one big let down. Lets face it, after season 4 it was all down hill.

Season 5....Mediocre

Season 5: Good
Crusade: Was just starting to gear up to be good(the ones where WB didn't have word to say were good. No wonder if the episodes made to appease WB were crap).
LotR: Apart from few annoyances I liked it.

tneva82 said:
Reaverman said:

Season 5....Mediocre

Crusade: Was just starting to gear up to be good(the ones where WB didn't have word to say were good. No wonder if the episodes made to appease WB were crap).

You on the crack pipe again :twisted:

tneva82 said:

Same here; don´t care that most on this forum will disagree...

I Like the photos, especially the shot with the Minabir having a break! :D

Problem with Season 5 was it was too much like typical TV sci-fi. No real direction, one-off "space filler" stories. But as he has given us 3.5 good to excellent series and some (stress some!) okay movies, JMS has the benefit of my doubts about the lost tales. But there is a nagging worry- I'd rather Memory of Shadows had got off the ground - is that ever likely without Katsulus (sp?) and Biggs though ????

MustEatBrains said:
tneva82 said:

Same here; don´t care that most on this forum will disagree...

Damn straight - goddam hippies :)

Yup, Season 5 was not as good as porevious B5, but we are grading on a curve here. Still better than most dreck that goes out on telly. And Crusade was shaping up very nicely indeed and a superb cast (with the exception of the drippy doctor).

LotR could have been much better, but when it worked, it worked well - the combat sequences were well done (obvious exception being the babe gunnery system...), G'Kar on absolute top form, and a nice set up for later on... A series would have sorted out teh rough edges... oh bum :(

Back