Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're too hard, I'm frightened of them please down stat them

• Mostly good but with a few notable gaps makes them almost unplayable

• Total voters

Karlopopoli

Mongoose
Stemming from a facistic conversation about the Balvarin and only the Balvarin, nothing else allowed at all, not even custard.

What do people think about the Centauri, we've had the extensive conversation about Minbari, a quick look at the Vorlons, now it is time for the fan heads.

Firstly my two penneth worth.

I rate the Centauri, I really do, before SFOS I rated the Primus as a great ship, now after it I definately put it as the top battle level ship in the game.

Their fighters are pretty damn fine too, great dogfighters and some pretty nice stats with the rutarian.

their big ships have great guns and their littler ships have great speed and maneuverability and work really well together.

Is this where I hijack your thread and talk about trifle?

or perhaps say , never mind the very childish attack on me topic let's talk about the Abbai?

oooh, what kind of trifle? I make a very nice chocholate trifle with a ginger cake base!

I have always had trouble beating the Centari.

Hold on I have always had trouble beating every race even the raiders :(

Alright folks...let's play nice...

We are all fans of the game, and an electronic boxing match will do nothing for it should a new player come here and actually look for opinions on the Centauri.

That being said...

I think the Centauri are just fine, those scooty little Hull 6ers are mean in small games, and as said in many places...the Primus is just terrifying in larger ones.

Bry

Centauri have their strengths (massed beam unpleasantness, highly agile fighters, cheap scouts, good armour) and their weaknesses (few interceptors, few AF weapons, a debateable carrier, damage points little better than EA, no ships with AJP).

I think they're true to their background and can be played effectively, and beaten if played poorly or played well against. I'm happy with them as they stand.

Can we get back to the lap dancers, now, please?

the Centauri are one of the best all round fleets of the game, they have "a bit of almost everything" which makes them an excellent fleet to use and when they are used correctly they are incredibly powerful, however with all advantages for a race there must be disadvantages to keep it fair, the main Centauri disadvantages are lack of War choices, and low Primus Damage stats

oooh, what kind of trifle? I make a very nice chocholate trifle with a ginger cake base!

o_O me wants :D

Did someone mention lapdancers ?

o_O me wants even more :D

do seriously i think the centauri seem like a good competative fleet

out off the big 4 i really only think EA needs to be made a bit better

The Centauri have some fantastic choices available to them, depending on which fleet you are playing, you can always find the right tools for the job.

Though some way to use the troops on the Secundus might be nice too (a few shuttles would not go amiss as the ship is not atmosphere capable or can carry breaching pods).

Now all we need to do is a use for a Balvarin.... Maybe a cruise liner/exclusive gambling retreat/lap dance club or somelthing?

I also for the most part think the EA are "OK" :?
The only case I would make that would benefit the EA is to further revise auxilliary craft rules (which would affect all races). If I could pick only one thing in SFOS to alter, that would be it.

Chern

Considering the Minbari, Narn and Drazi at our club had thier arses handed to them by the Centauri during our recent campaign (the centauri player didn't loose one game) I'd have to disagree with anyone saying they are underpowered. This was pre-sky full of stars though.

Also it didn't help the centauri player is a far better player than me but not to loose one game during the campaign is a feat for any player.

Not really there is a player in my area who its a very uncommon when he loses. He was beating people with a narn fleet consistently in old b5wars. He's the most experinced player here so no wonder. I am just pointing out that some guys are just plain good and lucky a tthe same time.
Ralancian said:
Considering the Minbari, Narn and Drazi at our club had thier arses handed to them by the Centauri during our recent campaign (the centauri player didn't loose one game) I'd have to disagree with anyone saying they are underpowered. This was pre-sky full of stars though.

Also it didn't help the centauri player is a far better player than me but not to loose one game during the campaign is a feat for any player.

Ralancian said:

the centauri are definitely not underpowered, I'm amazed that your Minbari player couldn't beat them though! Must've been a very good player in command of the centauri

Erm, winning all 5 out of the 5 games the Centauri were involved in isn't that big-a-feat, though it might just seem-so to you because you are new to wargaming.

For the most part, I just covered the weaknesses in my fleets and maximised the strengths - simple things like squadroning ships (like vorchans and Mograths) for maximum firepower and covering vulnerable side and rear arcs with the third ship in the squadron. That's why my smaller ships always manoeuvre in inverted arrowheads. The results may have been different if I'd met the Narn at a priority level higher than Patrol. As it was, the highest PL games I played were Raids and they were against Minbari.

Luck also played a major part in some of the games, like when a swarm of Sentris de-crewed a Sharlin with a lucky crit while it was preparing to jump-out.

My point-of-view is that the Centauri are the best-rounded fleet in the game whilst also remaining true to their background as the 2nd oldest of the spacefaring younger races. Think of the Centauri ships as prize-fighters with a glass-jaw. Once their opponents have learnt where and how to hit they go-down really quickly.

Maccabeus said:
Erm, winning all 5 out of the 5 games the Centauri were involved in isn't that big-a-feat, though it might just seem-so to you because you are new to wargaming.
My point-of-view is that the Centauri are the best-rounded fleet in the game whilst also remaining true to their background as the 2nd oldest of the spacefaring younger races. Think of the Centauri ships as prize-fighters with a glass-jaw. Once their opponents have learnt where and how to hit they go-down really quickly.

firstly for someone who's only done 1 post you are getting quite cheeky :lol:
secondly tho-you did make a good point, Centauri do very well when squadroned right but when your opponent works out how to beat them you've lost that battle (unless its a big battle and you have enough ships to counter the problem) but as the 2nd oldest of the younger races they have one of the best all round fleets and should be given more respect by poncy minbari and the weak earth and the pathetic narns :p

emperorpenguin said:
everyone knows the centauri operate in wolfpacks, squadrons rock!

unfortunately as i discovered the other day so too do drazi squadrons!

let me guess, were you on the receiving end of a squadron of Solarhawks
i used it once and it totally kicks ass, unfortunately for the rest of the game i was running from fighter because the couldnt boresight the damn things

Back