Are minor hits on starships cumulative for sustained damage?

Josh77

Mongoose
I know that when a starship takes damage equlling 10% of its hull, it suffers a severity 1 critical hit. What if it takes multiple hits of less than that? Say a starship with 100 hull takes a hit that does 5 points, and then a hit that does 7 points. will the 12 points of damage total cause a sustained damage critical hit since the ship has taken greater than 10% of its hull in damage? Or does it all have to come from a single attack? Thanks.

It gets one critical hit for every 10% cumulative damage, in addition to other potential critical effects (like from a Effect+6 hit).

Would you say the same applies to vehicles? That seems like rolling a LOT of severity 1 critical hits very quickly for weapons that seem like they shouldn't be able to inflict that much damage. It seems to me to make more sense applying the damage only when a hit inflicts damage equal to 10% of hull in a single attack. What do you think the rules are saying in this regard?

The rules are saying that cumulative hits cause system failures at 10% intervals and with lucky shots.

Would you say the same applies to vehicles? That seems like rolling a LOT of severity 1 critical hits very quickly for weapons that seem like they shouldn't be able to inflict that much damage. It seems to me to make more sense applying the damage only when a hit inflicts damage equal to 10% of hull in a single attack. What do you think the rules are saying in this regard?
I don't want to say Vehicles are broken, but Vehicles were broken. The same size animal or robot that has 72 hits has only 8 hull as a vehicle. The Companion and the updated Core rules band-aids (still broken, but now with a cast on it) it with only 4D and bigger weapons doing significant damage, but... okay, imagine this (did this before the Companion, so a real-ish scenario: combat armour dude on a grav bike - it's definitely a case of 'shoot the horse, not the rider' - an air rifle could take out the bike and the rider goes tumbling - but now at least you need a shotgun to do the same trick).

In the 2022 Core rules, page 140: "Against any weapon that has less than Damage 4D or has the Stun trait, a vehicle will have an extra amount
of armour equal to its TL on each facing."

Back