Any word on the Shadizar map?

Not to be an idiot, but what was wrong with the map? I have the boxed set, but I do not recall anything amiss with the map. Can ye expalin??? :lol:

Auggie said:
Not to be an idiot, but what was wrong with the map? I have the boxed set, but I do not recall anything amiss with the map. Can ye expalin??? :lol:
The artist who was responsible for drawing the map just used an old map that had no connection to Shadizar. This was discussed at length in this thread:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5525&highlight=shadizar+map

I think Mongoose have said that they will let people send in there faulty maps and have them replaced. Maybe someone else can fill you in with more details.

[bump]
I'm also wondering about the map. I'm about to take my players into shadizar. Since we play on a monthly basis, I'm wondering If I should side trek them for a few sessions to wait for the map or not? Is the project progressed to a point that an ETA can be given?

Trodax said:
Auggie said:
The artist who was responsible for drawing the map just used an old map that had no connection to Shadizar. This was discussed at length in this thread:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5525&highlight=shadizar+map

I think Mongoose have said that they will let people send in there faulty maps and have them replaced. Maybe someone else can fill you in with more details.
Included in the thread Trodax supplied is a link to the Wizards site (I should have looked at it before I started replying, but since I'm already logged in...), this link is a blowup of the map. It's called "Canal City of Mystery" and if I remember was made for the world of Greyhawk:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mapofweek/City_map_overview_432hr98_150dpi.jpg

I really hope that Mongoose releases a relevant map. I've bounced my players around Arenjun and Shem, avoiding Shadizar so as not to deal with any map issues. :?

I am sure that the subject has been suitably thrashed to Death by now ...

If there is an offer of a new Shadizar map, then I'd certainly be interested though. I spend a huge and very enjoyable amount of time detailing out maps for all my RPG's. I was still satisfied with the Shadizar product - but DO have some suggestions for improvement in future City editions. I realize that it requires a substantial amount of work to produce - as it would do for Me (!)

* Have a location numbering key. A number for each significant location or building (At least the Palaces, major Prisons, Barracks,etc). I thought that there would be a set of mini-maps for a significant number of prominant buildings).

* More of the Mini NPC Cards. These were great! I would have loved to have seen some more of them in the box. Maybe a colour coding in addition (borders?), to differentiate common fodder from individual NPC's.
Perhaps some plastic card stands to clip them onto. NPC cards are easier to see standing up, inside the GM screen.

* Mini-Map of the central administration/ palace/ prison or fortress.

I am looking forward to getting Messantia though. I'd like to see a Poll on which City would be the most desirable to do next (If any) ...

The big city maps are very nice and encessary, but I would also like ot see some more of smaller towns and cities.

Mortepierre said:
Bregales said:
It's called "Canal City of Mystery" and if I remember was made for the world of Greyhawk

Nope, a Red Wizards of Thay city (FR), the one with the demon-lord Eltab beneath it.
Okay, thanks. That's what I get for writing late at night after the second busiest week of the year at work. :oops:

I'm a bit concerned that we're not hearing anything new on this topic. Is the new map being worked on, or has this project been shelved?

I was hoping we would have the replacement by now. Of course, we were also told that a pdf of ALL of the Atlantean changes would be looked at, but nothing has been said about that either.

Maybe.... A Deamon Kidnapped the staff, and its up to us to find them?

I know, I know im just tryin to make light of the situation

SEriously, the map could be better, like the mesitaina (sorry if mispelled) box set map, that one was pretty cool, but I have seen better. But would settle if that was the map standard for Mongoose.

Last I heard Mongoose were working on it, if I remember I'll ask at the Open Day, if I can stop myself drooling on CC.

And it's Messantia I believe.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Last I heard Mongoose were working on it, if I remember I'll ask at the Open Day, if I can stop myself drooling on CC.

And it's Messantia I believe.

LBH
Great, thanks, if you do ask I'll be looking forward to hearing what they say.

I would look forward to a replacement map for Shadizar, as it just doesn't have enough detail for Me, for a specifically purchased suppliment.
The contents are fine, as there seems to be plenty of detail, however I would have liked to have seen some more street detail, with a numbered locations key overall. That's how I do my cities for RPG's ...

It would also be nice to have some sample street 'blowups' - IE: a small plan view of a typical street in one sector, enough to plot counters or miniatures within. Maybe a hard card building and street plan that is multi-modular. I was dissapointed that there wasn't many interior building plans.

I would have done a centre of power area (IE: Government offices/prison/ palace,etc). The maps didn't have to be full miniatures scale, just 'normal' GM's map size (A4?) - then there could have been more to include in the box. I'm not proposing EVERY building though. Hard card stock modules could have been used to reconstruct virtually any alleyway, palace foresteps/ courtyard, brothel, temple or whatever ...

I like the look of the Messantia box cover: this seems to have quite a bit of creative design, esp. with the giant statue holding up the central palace, the harbour, etc. I look forward to purchasing this one.

What do people think of Messantia ??? (Although this qualifies for a separate posting). Can Anyone give Me a review? Any other cities that really need doing ??? Tarantia, Khemri, Python (!!!)?

Back