Any word on the Shadizar map?

Zamboula would be great! if someone wants to support: go to the "What should Mongoose publish next" forum and give your vote.

LokiOne said:
What do people think of Messantia ??? (Although this qualifies for a separate posting). Can Anyone give Me a review?

I would be happy to give you my review, but I would be surprised if there wasn't a thread in this forum with members weighing in, but here it goes:

First off, I have to admit that I am a relatively soft critic. But in comparing the Shadizar Box set with Messentia, I will say Messentia is exponentially better.

Some negative things that have been said about Shadizar:
map (need I say more?)
tokens and cards have wrong printing on back
too much text dedicated to prostitution and such
too many stat blocks for generic NPCs

All of these are corrected with Messentia.
The map actually looks like how Messentia is described
tokens and cards have correct printing as far as I can tell
the unsavory subject of prostitution is less (if at all, I can't remember)
only major NPCs have stat blocks that I can remember

The descriptions of the various districts are great, and they have plenty of examples of local establishments that provide great color.

Their are additional rules for running a cosmopolitan campaign with political intrigue (think the Game of Thrones with George RR Martin or Game of Houses in Robert Jordon's Wheel of Time). The additional feats for the players fit the setting well, as do the prestige classes.

The adventure is OK. Its good enough that I plan to run it for my PCs.

My one complaint is that the various locations described in the text with a corrisponding number do not match the numbers on the map. However, the numbers on the inside covers of the book do match the map.

Overall, I like Messentia, and my players have been using it as a base of operations for some time. They like it too. Hope it helps.

It's because of the Shadizar box that I haven't picked up Messantia yet. All things said, the Shadizar box is nice except for the map, and IMHO, it didn't need to be a box set that is so expensive. It could have been a hardback, really no need for counters and such.

Has anyone come up with a "homebrew" map to use while we're waiting for the official correction? Maybe a more suitable pre-published map? I just picked up the boxed set yesterday--my main complaint about the map isn't so much that it was stolen, but rather why steal such a boring map? To my mind Shadizar should be a real warren. Maybe one of those Dark Sun cities? Too bad I don't have any Dark Sun products anymore! :roll:

shirosan said:
Has anyone come up with a "homebrew" map to use while we're waiting for the official correction? Maybe a more suitable pre-published map? I just picked up the boxed set yesterday--my main complaint about the map isn't so much that it was stolen, but rather why steal such a boring map? To my mind Shadizar should be a real warren. Maybe one of those Dark Sun cities? Too bad I don't have any Dark Sun products anymore! :roll:
No, but I love the map of Arenjun I got-- waitaminute, I thought I got a map of Arenjun from the yahoo Conand20 site, but I just went to verify & couldn't find it.

That being said :)oops:), I have a neat map SOMEBODY made of Arenjun, and there's also a map of Shadizar here. I can't link the Arenjun map as I can't find the location for it anymore, but hope the Shadizar one helps. I'd suggest using the Temple of Crom for some other God :evil: , but it's a good map pretty much. Hope this helps.

Bregales said:
That being said :)oops:), I have a neat map SOMEBODY made of Arenjun, and there's also a map of Shadizar here. I can't link the Arenjun map as I can't find the location for it anymore, but hope the Shadizar one helps. I'd suggest using the Temple of Crom for some other God :evil: , but it's a good map pretty much. Hope this helps.

I'd run across the Shadizar map already--and noted the Temple to Crom! WTF? :shock: Anyway, it's a bit too "boxy" for my tastes. I did a Google search on Arenjun city map and came up with this: http://hyboria.xoth.net/maps/arenjun.gif Is that the one of which you speak? :D

Now those are some nice maps. As an amateur cartographer (what GM isn't) I have a strong predilection for maps with a hand-drawn appearance.

Thanks Guys,
Raphael

shirosan said:
I'd run across the Shadizar map already--and noted the Temple to Crom! WTF? :shock: Anyway, it's a bit too "boxy" for my tastes. I did a Google search on Arenjun city map and came up with this: http://hyboria.xoth.net/maps/arenjun.gif Is that the one of which you speak? :D
THAT's IT, thanks very much! I couldn't for the life of me remember where I'd gotten that map of Arenjun, I've used it several times. :p

Raphael said:
Now those are some nice maps.

Ease up on the crack! The Shadizar one is terrible, just a box that is evidentally designed for a computer adventure run in a box! And the Arenjun one is upside down and isn't of any real use!

slaughterj said:
Ease up on the crack! The Shadizar one is terrible, just a box that is evidentally designed for a computer adventure run in a box! And the Arenjun one is upside down and isn't of any real use!
Oh crap man. (LOL). You know what, neither is anything like what I would have drawn, but my group of players insist on maps for everything, and they want battlemaps for their 3.x cartoon counters so they can do facing & etc., so I have to have something handy. I found out quickly that describing a setting doesn't do it with my current group. It's probably that way with most of the gaming groups, so since people were asking for map ideas I just presented a couple I found (and shirosan). :)

I'd love for Mongoose to release a "fixed" map, but who know how long it could take, if ever. Actually, I'd love to go into storyteller GM mode and just tell them what lies around them, but the map links given here are simply a compromise.

Actually, if anyone has other links/suggestions, I'd love to see them.

slaughterj said:

Damn man, who pissed in your cheerios? :?
Ease up on the Meth! Both maps overcome the usual "look-how-kewl-I-can-do-on-CC2(or AutoRealm)" syndrome. As for usefulness, if you are afraid of doing a little work yourself, I guess. Why is the Arenjun useless? I think it would be a great map for your PCs. Just the right level of detail for them to visualize the city without giving away anything important. Then you can use flesh it out yourself.

Breathe slaughterj, they are just game maps which I happen to like. You are free to hold your own opnion, however wrong it may be. :wink:

Raphael

Raphael said:
slaughterj said:

Damn man, who pissed in your cheerios? :?
Ease up on the Meth! Both maps overcome the usual "look-how-kewl-I-can-do-on-CC2(or AutoRealm)" syndrome. As for usefulness, if you are afraid of doing a little work yourself, I guess. Why is the Arenjun useless? I think it would be a great map for your PCs. Just the right level of detail for them to visualize the city without giving away anything important. Then you can use flesh it out yourself.

Breathe slaughterj, they are just game maps which I happen to like. You are free to hold your own opnion, however wrong it may be. :wink:

Raphael

You way overestimate my concern about this, it's just about crap maps! :lol: If you're willing to accept that as good, well, you've got low standards!

I've been spending some time on other games lately, and it has only re-enforced my dissappointment with the Mongoose maps in general. I was looking through my Marienburg supplement for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and wow wow is that a great map. The difference is night and day.

slaughterj said:
You way overestimate my concern about this, it's just about crap maps! :lol: If you're willing to accept that as good, well, you've got low standards!
Amongst all your frothing, I guess I missed your actual point in this thread.

If your stance is all maps = crap, perhaps you should stay away from a thread that is obviously devoted to people who are awaiting the map. Better for you, a person who doesn't like maps, better for the people who don't want to listen to you rant about how you don't like maps. everyone wins.

If its these specific maps you don't like, well, tastes vary and someone's tastes being different than your own doesn't equate them to being "on crack" or having low standards -- the sooner you realize not everyone's tastes are the same as your own and that yours aren't naturally superior the sooner you'll stop coming off as a raving looney on messageboards.[/b]

Steve Conan Trustrum said:
slaughterj said:
Amongst all your frothing, I guess I missed your actual point in this thread.

If your stance is all maps = crap, perhaps you should stay away from a thread that is obviously devoted to people who are awaiting the map. Better for you, a person who doesn't like maps, better for the people who don't want to listen to you rant about how you don't like maps. everyone wins.

If its these specific maps you don't like, well, tastes vary and someone's tastes being different than your own doesn't equate them to being "on crack" or having low standards -- the sooner you realize not everyone's tastes are the same as your own and that yours aren't naturally superior the sooner you'll stop coming off as a raving looney on messageboards.[/b]

Those maps are crap, not ALL maps, geez! Sure tastes vary, but if you want pure relativism, then why does anyone bother to discuss plusses and minuses to anything? Obviously maps such as Mongoose's world map are light years better than those crap maps. My very simple point is those maps are crap, sure, to each their own, but come on, you're worrying about this WAY too much! Raving looney, whatever :roll: Lighten up! And get off the crack! :lol:

Back on topic. About the map, where is it? I bought the PDF and don't even have the original. (stupid me).

But I'd like a map. Pretty Please.

Rene, in which town do you play? I´m from cologne and it`s hard to find Conann gamers here. Everyone is playing Vampire here..

Back